25% or less - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Relocation expenses reimbursed No
The Accounting Series, 0510 has a basic education requirement. Applicants must meet one of the following:
A. Degree in Accounting; or a degree in a related field such as business administration, finance, or public administration that included or was supplemented by 24 semester hours in accounting. The 24 hours may include up to 6 hours of credit in business law; OR
B. A Combination of education and experience: at least 4 years of experience in accounting, or an equivalent combination of accounting experience, college-level education, and training that provided professional accounting knowledge. The applicant's background must also include one of the following:
- Twenty-four semester hours in accounting or auditing courses of appropriate type and quality. This can include up to 6 hours of business law;
- A certificate as Certified Public Accountant or a Certified Internal Auditor, obtained through written examination; or
- Completion of the requirements for a degree that included substantial course work in accounting or auditing, e.g., 15 semester hours, but that does not fully satisfy the 24-semester-hour requirement of paragraph A, provided that (a) the applicant has successfully worked at the full-performance level in accounting, auditing, or a related field, e.g., valuation engineering or financial institution examining; (b) a panel of at least two higher level professional accountants or auditors has determined that the applicant has demonstrated a good knowledge of accounting and of related and underlying fields that equals in breadth, depth, currency, and level of advancement that which is normally associated with successful completion of the 4-year course of study described in paragraph A; and (c) except for literal nonconformance to the requirement of 24 semester hours in accounting, the applicant's education, training, and experience fully meet the specified requirements;
Specialized experience is defined as experience that is in or directly related to the line of work of this position and has equipped you with the knowledge and competencies to successfully perform the duties of this position.
To qualify for the GS-7:
A. Applicants must possess one year specialized experience equivalent in difficulty and level of responsibility to the GS-5 in the Federal service. Specialized experience includes but is not limited to experience assisting in analyzing, evaluating, and reviewing accounting data and reports using business tools, applications, and performance metrics; OR
B. Substitution of Education at the GS-7 Grade Level: Applicants may substitute one year of graduate study obtained at an accredited college or university in a related field (e.g. 18 semester hours, or 27 quarter hours, or the amount that the school attended states is equivalent to one year of graduate study); OR
C. Combination of Education and Experience at the GS-7 Grade Level: Applicants may substitute and equivalent combination of specialized experience and education as described above; OR
D. Superior Academic Achievement: Applicants who meet the Superior Academic Achievement (S.A.A.) criteria for a BA/BS degree earned in a curriculum that is qualifying for the position being filled.
S.A.A. is based on (1) class standing, (2) grade-point average, or (3) honor society membership.
- Class standing -- Applicants must be in the upper third of the graduating class in the college, university, or major subdivision, such as the College of Liberal Arts or the School of Business Administration, based on completed courses.
- Grade-point average (G.P.A.)-- Applicants must have a grade-point average of:
- 3.0 or higher out of a possible 4.0 ("B" or better) as recorded on their official transcript, or as computed based on 4 years of education, or as computed based on courses completed during the final 2 years of the curriculum; or
- 3.5 or higher out of a possible 4.0 ("B+" or better) based on the average of the required courses completed in the major field or the required courses in the major field completed during the final 2 years of the curriculum.
- Election to membership in a national scholastic honor society -- Applicants can be considered eligible based on membership in one of the national scholastic honor societies listed below. These honor societies are listed by the Association of College Honor Societies (external link). Agencies considering eligibility based on any society not included in the following list must ensure that the honor society meets the minimum requirements of the Association of College Honor Societies. Membership in a freshman honor society cannot be used to meet the requirements of this provision.
A. Applicants must possess one year of specialized experience equivalent in difficulty and level of responsibility to that of the GS-7 grade level in the Federal service. Specialized experience includes but is not limited to experience utilizing established accounting standards to compile, analyze, and summarize accounting data resulting from day-to-day accounting operations; maintaining the integrity of financial accounts, and preparing financial statements and/or reports in accordance with policies, procedures, and regulations; OR
B. Applicants may substitute two years of progressively higher level, directly-related graduate study, or a Master's or equivalent degree (JD or LLB) in a related field; OR
C. Applicants may substitute an equivalent combination of specialized experience and education as described above.
Only experience and education obtained by the closing date of this announcement will be considered. A written test is not required.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community, student, social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
If qualifying based on EDUCATION you MUST provide transcripts or other documentation to support your educational claims. Unless otherwise stated: (1) official or unofficial transcripts are acceptable, or (2) you may submit a list with all of your courses, grades, semester, year, and credit for the course. All materials must be submitted by the closing date of the announcement.
Only education from institutions which are accredited or preaccredited/candidate for accreditation may be used to meet education requirements.
FOREIGN EDUCATION: If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet the qualification requirements, you must show that the education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education programs and such education has been deemed equivalent to that gained in an accredited U.S. education program; or full credit has been given for the courses at a U.S. accredited college or university. For further information, visit: http://www2.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ous/international/usnei/us/edlite-visitus-forrecog.html
The duties of this position are suitable for occasional telework and the selectee may be allowed to telework with supervisor approval and if they meet the eligibility criterion in the 2010 Telework Act.
Stipulations of Employment:
Selection may require completion of a 1-year probationary period.
This position allows for a flexible work schedule.
This position is covered by a Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA).
OPIC uses E-Verify to confirm the employment eligibility of all newly hired employees. To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, please visit http://www.uscis.gov/e-verify.
This position is being advertised concurrently with vacancy announcement # OPIC-19-MP-10466196MM using Merit Promotion procedures. If interested, refer to that announcement to determine if you meet merit promotion requirements and can apply to that announcement. NOTE: You must apply separately to each announcement in order to be considered under both.
This vacancy announcement may be used to fill similar positions within 90 days.
If selection is made below the full performance level, promotion up to the full performance level may be made without further competition. However, promotion(s) will depend on the performance of the incumbent and are not guaranteed.
If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application: https://help.usastaffing.gov/Apply/index.php?title=Alternate_Application_Information
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
For Category Rating: Once the application process is complete, qualified candidates will be assigned to a quality category. The category assignment is a measure of the degree in which your background matches the competencies required for this position. The categories for this announcement are defined as: Best-Qualified, Well-Qualified, and Qualified. Your resume and supporting documentation will then be used to determine if you are qualified for this job. If you rate yourself higher than is supported by your application materials, your responses may be adjusted and/or you may be excluded from consideration for this job. If you are found to be among the top candidates, you will be referred to the selecting official for employment consideration.
Your qualifications will be evaluated on the following competencies (knowledge, skills, abilities and other characteristics):
- Customer Service
- Technical Competency - Accounting
- Technical Competency - Automated Accounting & Business Related Systems
- Written Communication