SUMMARY: The Database Manager serves as the primary steward of the organization’s fundraising database and plays a critical role in its oversight and ensuring data integrity. The duties for this position include making database entries for all contributions, completing database queries for the organization, working with all departments to reconcile revenue on a monthly basis, and serving as the primary point person for in-house and vendor contacts with database inquiries. Additionally, the organization transitioned to a new CRM database, Neon, in the fall of 2018, and this position was the project lead on migrating from the previous database; as such, this position will lead the ongoing process of systems migration and establishing proper workflows and standards of practice to meet the needs of the organization.
REQUIRED EXPERIENCE & SKILLS: Applicants should have good analytic and strong organizational skills and exercise keen attention to detail. We are seeking a collaborative team player as well as someone able to manage multiple projects. Required skills include:
- Knowledge of nonprofit fundraising
- Direct experience with a range of fundraising databases and Boolean Logic
- Ability to manage vendor relationships
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite and other organizational management tools
REQUISITE EDUCATION OR CERTIFICATIONS: Bachelor’s degree required.
WORKING CONDITIONS: The majority of work is performed in a general office environment.
- Maintain the organization’s CRM database with updated information for individual and organization contacts (e.g. corporate and foundation) as well as grants/donations/payments received.
- Manage database inquiries for all departments and related to external requests.
- Implement and supervise outstanding configuration of Neon database conversion.
- Assist with pulling various queries and reports.
- Import and export activities, source codes, segments, and mailing lists to and from the database.
Finance and Business Operations (40%)
- Manage the organization’s caging company file (i.e. daily transactions), including downloads and uploads to the database.
- Manage the organization’s relationship with our external caging company, providing them with weekly reports and information on an as-needed basis.
- Manage and enter money received to the office or money sent to our external banking account.
- Coordinate and problem solve with the accounting department to reconcile information in the CRM database and the accounting system.
- Manage weekly acknowledgement letters for all donors via our caging company.
- Manage the implementation of new business rules when new transactions or financial streams are set up for fundraising (e.g. Facebook, Eventbrite, etc.).
- Ensure that corporate, foundation, and major donor pledges are entered correctly, coded to the proper fund, and the necessary documentation is accounted for and saved in the appropriate records.
Individual Giving Support (15%)
- Assist the Development Manager and Director of Major Gifts with customer service and donor support to resolve issues either over the phone or via email.
- Assist the Development Manager with Gift of Trees/Memorial Gift certificates.
- Coordinate with the Director of Major Gifts on the various acknowledgement letters and processes, and alert the Director of donations that should be flagged or relationships that should be further developed, in addition to reconciling donations that have been received.
- Manage relationships with external vendors who provide support for prospect research, accounting services, and/or supplemental analytics and data integrity
- Brainstorm and discuss with the Development Department implementation of new campaigns, including Earth Month and End of Year giving campaigns.
- Assist with additional in-house mailings, filing, and scanning as needed.