Computer Scientist (Chief Data and Analytics Advisor)
50% or less - Some travel may be required.
Relocation expenses reimbursed No
- Must be an expert with state-of-the-art knowledge of computer science, data science and analytics, and their applications for business outcomes.
- Expert knowledge and ability to combine technology, business and management acumen to deliver tangible enterprise value. This can be done by demonstrating comprehensive, professional knowledge of quantitative skills, including knowledge of IT infrastructure, various technologies/platforms for large-scale data management and analysis, and aligned vendor solutions and the capabilities they bring. Mastery of machine learning algorithms to realize the true value of CFTC’s data.
- Ability to conduct research, and recommend paths forward, in cloud computing, machine learning and artificial intelligence including application of information technologies to solve problems and to understand the principles of human intelligence.
- Knowledge of computer software concepts such as data modeling, data structures, file systems, operating systems, computer languages, software development and network protocols.
To Qualify for this position, applicants must meet both the Basic Requirement and the Specialized Experience Requirement listed below:
Applicants must have a Bachelor's degree in computer science or bachelor's degree with 30 semester hours in a combination of mathematics, statistics, and computer science. At least 15 of the 30 semester hours must have included any combination of statistics and mathematics that included differential and integral calculus. All academic degrees and course work must be from accredited or pre-accredited institutions.
In addition to the Basic Requirement, your resume must demonstrate at least one year of specialized experience equivalent to the CT/GS-14 level in the Federal service, or comparable experience not gained through federal service.
Examples of specialized experience include:
- Expert experience in data management and analytics, including creating partnerships, implementing data governance, knowledge and experience with data security, experience in identifying key metrics and analytical output that provide value at various levels of an organization, and understanding the underlying technologies needed to enable data innovation across a large organization.
- Expert knowledge and experience in applying a comprehensive knowledge of data and analytics systems, machine learning as well as the framework and underlying concepts related to those systems, used by an organization to conduct evaluations of data systems, data analytics or IT operations.
- Demonstrated technical ability in various programming languages, statistical and machine learning techniques, distributed computing and parallel processing database systems.
- Proven ability to lead large scale IT and/or data and analytical enterprise projects and initiatives designed to address critical business challenges and achieve organizational goals and objectives.
- Demonstrated ability to think broadly and strategically, including the ability to translate long-term goals and objectives into short-term tactical plans and operational activities.
- Proven transformation skills that include the ability to consistently execute at a high level, drive positive change, and build teams and new programs where gaps are identified or where needed across the organization.
Evaluation of Education:
Applicants should have sufficient knowledge to understand the fundamental concepts and techniques of computer science. Courses designed to provide an introduction to computer science techniques and methodologies, to problems of system design, and to other specialized fields are acceptable. Courses or experience in teaching elementary, business, or shop mathematics are not acceptable.
SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS FOR FOREIGN EDUCATION: If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet the qualification requirements, you must show that the education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education programs and such education has been deemed equivalent to that gained in an accredited U.S. education program; or full credit has been given for the courses at a U.S. accredited college or university. For further information, visit: http://www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ous/international/usnei/us/edlite-visitus-forrecog.html
Relocation. Relocation expenses will not be paid.
Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP). The ICTAP provides eligible displaced federal competitive service employees with selection priority over other candidates for competitive service vacancies. If your agency has notified you in writing that you are a displaced employee eligible for ICTAP consideration, you may receive selection priority if: 1) this vacancy is within your ICTAP eligibility, 2) you apply under the instructions in this announcement, and 3) you are found well-qualified for this vacancy. To be well qualified, you must score 85 or better on established ranking criteria. You must provide proof of eligibility with your application to receive selection priority. Additional information about ICTAP eligibility is at: http://www.opm.gov/ctap/index.asp.ICTAP candidates MUST submit:
- A copy of their agency reduction-in-force notice;
- A copy of your most recent Performance Rating;
- A copy of your most recent SF-50 noting current or last position held, the grade level, and the duty location; and
- A copy of your notice of proposed removal for declining a directed reassignment or transfer of function outside the local commuting area or documentation showing you were separated as a result of RIF or declining a directed reassignment or transfer of function outside the local commuting area.
Career Transition Assistance Program (CTAP).Provides eligible surplus and displaced competitive service employees in the CFTC with selection priority over other candidates for competitive service vacancies. If CFTC has notified you in writing that you are a surplus or displaced employee eligible for CTAP consideration, you may receive selection priority if: 1) this vacancy is within your CTAP eligibility, 2) you apply under the instructions in this announcement, and 3) you are found well-qualified for this vacancy. To be well qualified, you must rate equivalent to the Well Qualified or better category using established rating criteria. You must provide a copy of your written notification of CTAP eligibility with your application. Additional information about CTAP eligibility is at: http://www.opm.gov/ctap/index.asp.
EEO Policy Statement. The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, genetic information, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, age, membership in an employee organization, or other non-merit factor.
Reasonable Accommodation. Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Your application will be evaluated and rated under CFTC Category Rating and Selection Procedures. Your resume and supporting documentation will be used to determine whether you meet the job qualifications listed in this announcement. If you are minimally qualified for this job, your resume and supporting documentation will be compared to your responses on the online assessment questionnaire. If you rate yourself higher than is supported by your application materials, your responses may be adjusted and/or you may be excluded from consideration for this job. Your application will then be placed in one of three categories: Best Qualified, Well Qualified, or Qualified. Names of all candidates in the best qualified category will be sent to the hiring official for employment consideration. Candidates within the best qualified category who are eligible for veteran’s preference will receive selection priority over non-veteran preference eligibles.
To preview questions please click here. Read more Security clearance Not Required Drug test required No