Vice President, Communications
Position Announcement #119004 – Vice President, Communications
The Corporation for Public Broadcasting (CPB) is a private, nonprofit corporation created to ensure universal access to non-commercial high-quality programming and telecommunications services. We invest in programs and services that are educational, innovative, locally relevant, and reflect America’s common values and cultural diversity. We encourage the development of programming that involves creative risks and that addresses the needs of unserved and underserved audiences, particularly children and minorities.
CPB is currently seeking to hire a Vice President, Communications. This position reports directly to the Executive Vice President and Chief Operating Officer.
Working closely with CPB’s executive leadership, is responsible for the development and implementation of a proactive and multi-faceted communications strategy and messaging to advance awareness of public media and its value to American society. Oversight of CPB communications programs, media activities and events; provides communications counsel to senior management and the Board of Directors.
- Works closely with CEO, COO, government affairs, engagement, content, and other senior executives as appropriate to develop communications strategy to support organizational goals and objectives.
- Works closely with CEO, COO, senior executives to develop strategy and messaging in support of organization’s strategic priorities, initiatives and projects.
- Develops and implements overall CPB media relations plan for media outreach, events, initiatives and projects.
- Identifies opportunities to support organizational initiatives and utilizes various media tools and platforms to proactively strengthen and build awareness of CPB and the public media.
- Builds and fosters working relationships with various constituencies of importance including media, relevant national and local organizations, community members as appropriate, and leaders as well as counterparts in the public media system.
- Manages day-to-day communications staff and activities in support of CPB’s efforts.
- Drafts communications materials for CPB’s President and CEO and other CPB senior executives.
- Responds to media requests for information and facilitate media interviews for the organization, coordinating with relevant executives and staff, as necessary.
- Ensures that senior executives are prepared for media-related activities and other public relations events as appropriate.
- Oversees the development of an informative digital annual report.
- Builds and fosters collaborative relationships with executives at CPB, and in the public media system, to stay abreast of significant public media initiatives, content and services in order to carry out the CPB communications strategy.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant discipine such as communications, journalism, public relations, media, marketing, English or equivalent combination of training and experience.
- A minimum of ten years’ experience in journalism, marketing, media or public relations with on-the-record experience in print, radio and/or television communications connected to government affairs or issue advocacy.
- Strong oral and written and strategic communication skills, including the ability to write speeches, talking points, briefing papers, press releases, op-eds, eNewsletters, creative posts for social media platforms, and make effective presentations to inform and influence audiences of varying sizes.
- A high level of confidence, integrity, can-do attitude, and critical thinking, with a hands-on approach to problem analysis/resolution, both at the strategic and operational levels.
- Demonstrated leadership skills, particularly related to articulating a vision, and creating, implementing, and executing strategies, planning, and processes for achieving successful results.
- Strong interpersonal skills for building/fostering key relationships and establishing credibility with the ability to interact effectively with a variety of other individuals and entities, both internal and external to CPB.
- Excellent proofreading/editing skills and attention to detail.
- Proficiency with social media tools and platforms.
- Strong organization skills, attention to detail, sensitivity to time management and deadlines.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently as well as within a team environment, including the ability to mentor others.
- Ability to multi-task in a fast-paced, deadline-driven business environment. Effective time management and prioritization skills to follow assignments through to completion, with a results-based focus.
- Ability to travel 15 to 25%.
- Crisis communications experience.
- Experience with graphic art design, video editing, and photography.
- Familiarity with and commitment to public broadcasting’s mission and values.
For more information about CPB, our programs, and our mission, please visit our website at www.cpb.org. Please submit your cover letter, resume, and salary history to
Link does not work in Internet Explorer.
The Corporation for Public Broadcasting has a commitment to the principle of diversity. In that spirit, we welcome applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, religion, creed, color, gender, sexual orientation, age, disability, marital status, veteran status, national origin, or status with regard to public assistance.