Environmental Scientist/Engineer/Geologist - Jr. Level
Tetra Tech is a leading provider of consulting, engineering, and technical services worldwide. Our reputation rests on the technical expertise and dedication of our employees - 16,000 people working together across disciplines and time zones to provide smart, sustainable solutions for challenging projects. We are proud to be home to leading technical experts in water, environment, infrastructure, resource management, energy, and international development. Tetra Tech combines the resources of a global, multibillion dollar company with local, client-focused delivery in 400 locations around the world. We offer competitive compensation and benefits and are searching for innovative people to join our teams.
Tetra Tech is currently seeking a full-time Environmental Scientist/Engineer/Geologist - Jr. Level to work out of our Sterling, VA office location.
The selected candidate will provide project support for environmental projects, related to federal, state, municipal, and commercial clients. Will be responsible for task level work, including: field investigations (including soil, water, and air sampling; drilling and subcontractor supervision; and coordination with analytical laboratories), construction and/or remedial action oversight, health and safety air monitoring, and preparation of technical reports. Will work collaboratively with and under the supervision of a senior scientist or project manager. The selected candidate will be expected to follow company safety standards, participate in safety training, and prepare as well as implement site-specific health and safety plans. Will be responsible for reviewing, understanding, and implementing site-specific work plans and scopes of work. Will prepare various technical deliverables including reports, letters, proposals, cost estimates, tables, and figures.
More than three years of professional environmental consulting experience is required, with history of increasing responsibility. Project experience to include: carrying out Phase I ESAs (ASTM-compliant), Phase II Site Investigations, UST compliance monitoring, UST closures, and vapor intrusion assessments. Previous field experience required, including supervision of sampling activities and environmental drilling operations, ability to work independently on field projects.
- Experience preparing technical reports, memos, response to comments tables, and diagrams is required. Must be a competent technical writer.
- Attention to detail is required. The successful candidate must be able to observe, evaluate, and document site field conditions and communicate changes in field conditions to senior staff.
- Ability to analyze chemistry and environmental data is required.
- Experience preparing technical reports, memos, response to comments tables, and diagrams is required.
- General understanding and experience with statistical analysis of environmental data using software such as ProUCL, Microsoft Excel, or R
- Experience reviewing and managing environmental data and databases using software such as Microsoft Access or R
- Ability to interface with clients, subcontractors, working groups, and internal customers required.
- Previous experience working on proposals
- Project management training and experience
- Ability to assist with cost estimating and obtaining bids from vendors and subcontractors
- Strong verbal and written communication skills are required.
- Must be able to manage time well and work on tasks as part of a larger project team.
- Must have a strong health and safety ethic.
- In addition to English, fluency in other languages will be considered a plus.
- Candidate should be self-motivated and able to take directions and work independently. •BS/BA degree in Environmental Sciences/Engineering, Geology, Chemistry, or a related discipline is required. Advanced degrees are preferred.
- Professional certifications such as PE, PG, and/or CHMM are preferred.
- OSHA 40-hour HAZWOPER Training is required. OSHA 30-Hour Construction Safety Training and 8-hour OSHA Supervisors of Hazardous Waste Operations Training are preferred.
- Candidate must be able to walk around project sites for a full day if required and must be physically able to carry up to 35 pounds of equipment (such as sampling tools, GPS unit, field screening equipment and cameras) during field work.
- Field activities take place in a variety of weather conditions, and can occur in remote locations and include areas of uneven terrain or occur during harsh weather.
- Candidate must be able to sit at a desk /computer in an office environment for office-based tasks.
- Must be able to drive a motor vehicle and pass a motor vehicle records check.
- The work environment will consist of a mix of office and field work, with some field work requiring overnight stays. The candidate must be able to work in the field 50% of the time.
- Candidate must be available for travel to project locations within the United States. Travel is estimated to be less than 20% of time worked.
- Candidate must be willing to work beyond traditional hours in order to meet client deadlines.
To apply, please submit your resume & cover letter online at www.tetratech.com/career and search for Job#10300000601.
Tetra Tech is a VEVRAA federal contractor and we request priority referral of veterans for available positions.
Tetra Tech is an Equal Opportunity Employer and we value workplace diversity. We invite resumes from all interested parties including women, minorities, veterans and persons with disabilities.
EOE AA M/F/Veteran/Disability * No calls or agencies