Staff Fellow Molecular Biologist
Relocation expenses reimbursed No
Have a degree in biological sciences, agriculture, natural resource management, chemistry, or related disciplines appropriate to the position OR have a combination of education and experience which includes courses equivalent to a major, as shown above, plus appropriate experience of additional education.
Additional Qualification Requirements for the Staff Fellow Molecular Biologist, RG-0401-00 (equivalent to the GS-11):
One year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the GS-09 level in the Federal service. Experience includes analyzing microbiological, biochemical, toxicological and/or physiological study data and providing scientifically defensible findings using statistical analyses; utilizing whole genome sequencing and associated analytical methods to determine genomic changes OR have 3 years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to a Ph.D. degree or Ph.D. or equivalent doctoral degree. If qualifying based on experience, this experience must be reflected in your resume. Volunteer experience can be used as qualifying experience.
Additional Qualification Requirements for the Staff Fellow Molecular Biologist, RG-0401-00 (equivalent to the GS-12):
One year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the GS-11 level in the Federal service. Experience includes conducting microbiological, biochemical, toxicological and/or physiological studies and analyzing data to provide written reports of scientifically defensible findings using statistical analyses; utilizing whole genome sequencing and associated analytical methods to determine genomic changes. This experience must be reflected in your resume. Volunteer experience can be used as qualifying experience.
Additional Qualification Requirements for the Staff Fellow Molecular Biologist, RG-0401-00 (equivalent to the GS-13):
One year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the GS-12 level in the Federal service. Experience includes conducting and assessing microbiological, biochemical, toxicological and/or physiological studies; analyzing scientific study data and providing written reports of scientifically defensible findings using statistical analyses; utilizing whole genome sequencing and associated analytical methods to determine genomic changes; and providing scientific expertise and guidance to stakeholders regarding molecular biology and related fields. This experience must be reflected in your resume. Volunteer experience can be used as qualifying experience.
Experience in genome editing techniques, such as TALENs and/or CRISPR-Cas.
A doctoral degree from an accredited institution of higher learning, such as a Ph.D. or D.V.M., or other research doctoral-degree widely recognized in U.S. academe as equivalent to a Ph.D.
NOTE: Qualifications are based on breadth/level of experience. In addition to describing duties performed, applicants must provide the exact dates of each period of employment (from MM/YY to MM/YY) and the number of hours worked per week if part time. As qualification determinations cannot be made when resumes do not include the required information, failure to provide this information may result in disqualification. Applicants are encouraged to use the USAJOBS Resume Builder to develop their federal resume.
Foreign Education: If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet the qualification requirements, you must show that the education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education programs and such education has been deemed equivalent to that gained in an accredited U.S. education program; or full credit has been given for the courses at a U.S. accredited college or university. For further information, visit the U.S. Department of Education website for Foreign Education Evaluation.
Additional Conditions of Employment:
- Security and Background Requirements: This position requires a Non-Sensitive security clearance.
- Political Appointees: If you are serving, or have served in the last 5 years (from 01/19/2018) as an Executive Branch political, Schedule C, or Non-career SES appointee, HHS/FDA may be required to obtain approval by the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) prior to beginning employment. You can find out if you have held one of these appointment types by looking at your Standard Form 50s in your Electronic Official Personnel Folder (eOPF), in Section 5 where the legal authorities are listed. If you have served or are currently serving, you must provide a copy of your SF-50, Notification of Personnel Action, documenting this appointment. In addition, you will be required to respond to the question in the assessment and certify your responses to the questionnaire. See the OPM page Political Appointees FAQ for more.
- E-Verify: The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services is an E-Verify Participant. If you are selected for this position, the documentation that you present for purposes of completing the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Form I-9 will be verified through the DHS "E-Verify" System. Federal law requires DHS to use the E-Verify System to verify employment eligibility of all new hires, and as a condition of continued employment obligates the new hire to take affirmative steps to resolve any discrepancies identified by the system.
- Financial disclosure statement is required for applicants selected at the GS-13 level. FDA inspires public confidence by maintaining high ethical principles, and all Federal Government employees are subject to the conflict of interest statutes and regulations, including the Standards of Ethical Conduct, that govern activities with outside organizations and reporting financial holdings. Certain positions within the FDA are subject to strict restrictions on financial holdings (FDA regulated financial holdings). The Ethics in Government Act, PL 95-521 also requires the applicant selected for this position to submit a Confidential Financial Disclosure Report, OGE-450, prior to assuming this position, annually, and upon termination of employment. To determine how this position is affected, applicants are advised to seek additional information during the interview process from the Ethics and Integrity Staff, Division Management Programs at (301) 796-8435 prior to accepting such a position.
- Prohibited financial interests restrictions apply: Employees designated as confidential filers, and their spouse or minor children, may not hold financial interests in FDA significantly regulated organizations.
- Outside activity restrictions apply: Requests for approval of outside activities may be required prior to participation n certain outside activities and outside employment. Employees designated public or confidential filers may not have outside activity, unpaid or paid, with FDA significantly regulated organizations.
- Relocation and travel expense reimbursement: No
- Bargaining Unit status: Yes
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Once the job opportunity announcement closes (at 11:59 pm ET on 04/29/2019, your application will be reviewed to determine your eligibility for Federal employment, and then whether or not you are qualified for this particular position. See the USAJOBS help article "What is the difference between eligibility and qualifications?" for more... If you are referred to the hiring manager, you may be contacted at their discretion for an interview.
Qualification determinations will be based on the information provided in your application and the requirements of the position. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your eligibility.
Interview Process: Structured interviews; may be asked scenario-based interview questions concerning core competencies. Method/tools used to evaluate applicants: work samples, conducting a presentation, reference checks, tests may be used.
To preview the assessment questionnaire, click this link: https://apply.usastaffing.gov/ViewQuestionnaire/10459861