Director, Membership Marketing & Sales
The Optical Society (OSA) is recruiting for a Director of Membership Marketing & Sales. The Director of Membership Marketing and Sales is responsible for planning and implementing sales, marketing and membership product development programs, both short and long range, targeted toward existing and new members. In addition, responsible for developing strategic partnerships to increase membership growth and engagement.
Overall responsible for the creative design and marketing efforts, of OSA’s membership programs, member newsletter, quarterly membership magazine, OSA Online store, member acquisition and retention campaigns. Provide marketing guidance and support to membership team.
Membership Marketing & Design:
- Set overall visual and design tone for OSA Member Newsletter, quarterly magazine, and OSA online store products.
- Design member newsletter and magazine cover and selected feature articles and columns, researching/acquiring appropriate photography/illustrations and reformatting/updating figures as needed.
- Design and create graphic designs for membership programs and products
- Prepare member newsletter and magazine pages for final print production, collecting files, art, and fonts and checking format.
- Draft imposition and layout of magazine using InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator.
- Identify opportunities to develop or acquire relevant images through image databases or individual photographers, organizations, or illustrators, and manage those arrangements by working closely with vendors, negotiating prices and handling invoices.
- Leads the development of a comprehensive marketing plan to increase acquisition and retention of OSA members overall—and selected membership categories.
- Executing print, email, online, exhibit and multimedia promotional campaigns outlined in the marketing plans to effectively promote selected membership products. Implementation of the marketing plans includes the development and distribution of email broadcasts; coordinating targeted list development for print or email promotions; and developing marketing materials for exhibits.
- Responsible for updating and maintaining the production of a monthly dashboard that tracks the marketing projects delivered by this position.
- Partner with Chief, with the support of gathering reporting for Board of Directors and Council.
- Collaborates with Chief in research, and deepening member value and engagement.
Membership Acquisitions & Retention
- Develop and implement a comprehensive membership acquisition and retention strategy plan to recruit new members to OSA and retain existing members.
- Identify high-value sales territory, channels, and prospects to meet membership and revenue targets, in collaboration with stakeholders.
- Present, promote and sell products/services/memberships using solid sales techniques to existing and prospective customers
- Responsible for communicating to current and potential members via telephone calls (outbound and inbound calls), direct mail, social media interactions, and email communication.
- Assesses existing benefits and member survey data on an ongoing basis, and makes recommendations for benefits relevant to specific membership categories.
- Oversees the development of global membership campaigns that meet diverse needs in all parts of the world, supporting their efforts to increase and retain members in all populations.
- Develops strategy plan to create a member experience from student through emeritus member category.
- Oversees their assigned programs for quality and accuracy of member communications
- Oversees the management and efficiency of the membership module within OSA’s CRM database (member communications, reports, member totals and updates.)
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s degree required and design experience/coursework required.
- Five-ten years experience in graphic design, specifically in the area of magazine production, required.
- Knowledge of four-color printing required.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Experience managing lists for email and direct mail marketing campaigns for membership sales.
- Experience in prospect development & management, member acquisition & retention, and engagement with members.
- Working knowledge of publication production and editing function required.
- Proficiency in design software specifically InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator, required.
- Proficiency in Dreamweaver Web design software and HTML, XML and Flash.
- Strong interpersonal skills required to work with production, manuscript and editorial staff and external authors and vendors.
- Ability to meet production deadlines while maintaining cooperative attitude and flexibility with multiple priorities.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to work independently required.
- Interest in science preferred.
- Strong customer service orientation required.
- Excellent English writing and grammatical skills required.
- Must perform consistently well under pressure and be able to juggle multiple tasks and deadlines at once.
- Consistent and thorough attention to detail.
OSA offers a competitive salary and benefits. Please send your resume and cover letter with salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org.