Membership Marketing & Program Specialist
The Optical Society (OSA) is recruiting for a Membership Marketing & Program Specialist. The Membership Marketing & Program Specialist will assist with the development, coordination, and support of operations associated with OSA programming, member support and developing/implementing tailored strategies that deliver value and effectively recruit new members to the organization. This is a full-time position with overall responsibility for development and enhancement of member relations and engagement. The Specialist will have a comprehensive understanding of the OSA’s programs and benefits (both domestic and international), as well as issues facing our members, and will be charged with communicating our Value Proposition in order to increase member engagement and grow the membership overall.
This position’s duties include planning national and regional meeting activities, recruitment and retention of local sections, and the introduction of new member programs and benefits to OSA. The work involves complex problem-solving, complex assignments, in-depth analysis, and conceptual thinking. The individual must demonstrate initiative and reliability, provide superior team and project management skills, and explore and execute new ideas that will benefit the team’s effectiveness while juggling competing priorities.
- Works with the Director to develop, create and implement six (6) signature member programs annually at national and regional meetings, organizes additional workshops and events, and coordinates volunteers. The overall member program portfolio will have approx. 12 to14 signature programs between the director and this position.
- Responsible for launching four webinars per year tailored to assigned program area.
- Assists the Director in the creation and implementation of new programs for individual industry and engineer members.
- Responsible for developing and implementing a sponsorship and grants program for revenue growth to support existing and new programming.
- Identifies potential new member benefits and works with the Membership team on implementation
- Work closely with local section leadership to support local-level membership and engagement plans; Assist local section development and growth worldwide
- Work with the Director to help develop education topics in response to member needs for programs including networking and mentoring programs
Marketing & Acquisitions
- Developing comprehensive marketing plans, schedules, and strategies on an annual basis for assigned member programs to drive usage so as to retain existing or acquire new members.
- Analyzing the competitor landscape as it relates to member programs, to ensure that OSA is aware of and acting on events, trends, etc., that affect OSA Membership and its work.
- Identify trends, gaps and needs of OSA Members to develop distinct, segmented strategies which serve the needs of a diverse member base
- Collaborates with stakeholders to develop a strategy to improve the student to emeritus member continuum.
- Assesses and evaluates all member programs and activities
- Partners with membership team to develop, implement, analyze and adapt tailored recruitment approaches that drive membership growth and market expansion (both geographical and membership segment opportunities)
- Work with other staff to gather, analyze, and act upon data from various sources to drive decision making for targeted recruitment campaigns
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Four-year college degree or equivalent experience required; study should be in a science-based discipline (Physics preferred)
- At least five years relevant service in a membership or scientific society—must have experience in program development and project management and working with volunteers/committees
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Excellent written and verbal communication and proofreading skills
- Strong project management and problem solving skills
- Strong organizational skills with keen attention to detail; ability to work independently and multi-task to meet multiple deadlines; and ability to organize and maintain a sophisticated tracking system
- Skill in building and establishing relationships with member volunteers, partner societies and external vendors, and ability to facilitate project activities with each audience
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications—with minimum intermediate capabilities in Excel, and database applications (NetForum and Foundant experience preferred)
- Ability to travel approximately 10 percent annually—domestic and international
OSA offers a competitive salary and benefits. Please send your resume and cover letter with salary requirements to email@example.com.