Lead Associate to the US President
7 days left
- Full Time
The US President and the Director, US Network Operations manage the US Network Group of 40+ individuals. The US President interacts with the 1,300+ United Way organizations around the globe. Under minimal supervision, the Lead Associate provides direct and high-level executive administrative support, and performs complex and diverse duties in support of the US President and the Director, US Network Operations. This position requires an experienced professional comfortable with receiving direction from both the US President and the Director, Network Operations.
The Lead Associate proactively anticipates and initiates timely actions regarding emails, engagement/meeting requests, and office operations which require in-depth knowledge of United Way Worldwide and other Groups. The position requires a Type A work ethic and a mastery of interpretation, logic, prioritization, time management, and the ability to resolve highly varied situations and challenges with an open and can-do attitude. The Lead Associate also functions as a project information coordinator and provides advanced executive administrative support for multiple programs and projects.
The Lead Associate, along with the Director, US Network Operations, guides the US President to the best, most respectful, and efficient way to work together as a team in a fast-paced, transforming, and sometimes ambiguous environment.
Ultimately, the Lead Associate embodies United Way Worldwide’s Behaviors (see below) and is: flexible, a team player, hands-on, a troubleshooter extraordinaire, creative, respectful, proactive, collaborative, curious, a clear communicator, logical, and inclusive.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES/ESSENTIAL DUTIES OF POSITION:
An individual must be able to perform each essential duty listed below at a satisfactory level:
- Leads overall administrative and technical support for the US President. Fully supports and serves as the backup for the Director, US Network Operations.
- Interfaces and coordinates information. Works magic interfacing with the Lead Associate, Scheduler to the President & CEO of United Way Worldwide, Board members, executives, global staff, and other stakeholders regarding meeting and appearance requests for/by the US President as they relate to the US President’s time, positioning, and participation in various events, meetings, and travel.
- Manages the automated appearance request form and process for engaging and securing appointments.
- Quickly analyzes and vets requests for the US President with the assistance of the Director, US Operations prior to recommending appropriate engagement opportunities. Proactively seeks information to determine US President’s role and expected participation prior to accepting invitations to meetings and appearances.
- Identifies and collaborates with content managers and compiles preparation/ briefing materials including sourcing talking points in advance that meet standards for use by the US President. Schedules review and preparation time for US President, as necessary.
- As needed. Provides support to the US President while on travel and limited support for staff traveling with the US President to include logistical coordination and continual communication in real/appropriate time. Manages Executive Office for US President, operating remotely at national United Way conventions.
- Scheduling guru. Highly skilled at creating an intuitive calendar for the US President including mobile friendly and easy to read itineraries and day packets. Coordinates detailed logistical arrangements for all meetings and conferences, and manages all aspects of the US President’s travel arrangements. Travel arrangements include ground and air, coordination of travel documents (e.g., visas, passports), last-minute or mid-trip changes, payment, expense and reimbursement processes.
- Creates and manages diverse and complex agendas, meetings, logistics (room reservations, IT for tech/AV support, catering, assists with offsite events as needed), and travel arrangements following an engagement request.
- Coordinates with Director, US Network Operations on Group-wide initiatives or activities for the US Network (e.g., Group meetings, teambuilding), manages meeting logistics, supports events and meetings (e.g., manages Adobe Connect, conference lines, video chats, chat rooms).
- Provides executive support to the US President for US Board-level meetings, commitments, and debriefs. Coordinates and collates Board reports, schedules and coordinates monthly meetings between US President and US Board Chair. Works with the Executive Office’s Director, Governance (supporting the President & CEO of United Way Worldwide and the Chief of Staff) to coordinate Board meetings, agendas, and US Board Chair monthly agendas and talking points for US President. Coordinates meetings and calls with Board members and prospects.
- Attends and supports high-level meetings as appropriate (record, interpret, draft, type, and distribute (pending approval) minutes, deadlines, and action items of said meetings. Possesses impeccable attention to detail and timely follow-up.
- Composes, prepares, and edits executive-level internal and external correspondence and documents including drafts, memos, emails, reports, and other communications (e.g., thank you cards). Works across United Way Worldwide to collect comprehensive crisis disaster reports, membership accountability summaries, and more.
- Expert proficiency in multiple software programs to develop, design, track, and update documents, spreadsheets, dashboards, and presentations (e.g., Salesforce, Smartsheet, Access, Excel, PowerPoint, OneDrive). Types reports, memos, letters, talking points (speaker) cards, and other documents. Utilizes Salesforce to track/link US President’s correspondence and briefs post-meeting. Innovatively creates debrief time and a solution to extract post-meeting debrief intel from US President. Able to extract information and contact details from Salesforce.
- General duties include photocopying, faxing, and mailing. Opens, sorts, and distributes incoming correspondence. Able to quickly scan emails for the latest responses and scroll down to read entire threads before responding appropriately. Reads and analyzes incoming memos, submissions, and reports to determine their significance and manages their distribution and/or appropriate response. Maintains electronic and hard copy filing systems. Greets visitors and clients, and expertly determines whether they should be given access to specific individuals. Answers phone calls and directs calls to appropriate parties or takes messages. Acts with urgency regarding correspondence, follow-up, and other requests.
- Exhibits superb decision-making intuition even while guided by varied and less-defined instructions and practices requiring broader interpretation. Makes recommendations to solve highly complex problems requiring research and analysis from multiple sources/Groups, or advanced knowledge in a thorough and timely manner. Achieves resolution through unique approaches and/or reference to a variety of policies, precedents, and past practices.
- Serves as a training resource to less experienced staff regarding quality of work, policies, and procedures. Exudes trust, transparency, collaboration, inspiration, and positivity. Thwarts negativity and working in silos.
- Creates and revises systems and procedures by analyzing operating practices and budgetary requirements, and implementing changes. Questions everything and is a process improvements expert. Maintains intuitive balance and strong emotional intelligence. Encourages teamwork and possesses a “let’s move forward, get it done, make it work--together” persona.
- Develops, monitors, and reconciles budgets and creates monthly variance reports with a high-level summary/analysis. Responsible for staying within budget and following budgetary guidelines.
- Responsible for processing US President’s expenses, invoices, and managing contracts.
- Establishes supply budgets with an innovative mindset of “supply sharing/ seeking” across the building. Selects vendors, uses signature and purchasing authorization. Anticipates/monitors needed supplies and orders inventory as appropriate; verifies receipt of supplies.
- Uses discretion and excellent judgment when dealing with confidential issues and information.
- Other duties as assigned.
Minimum requirements include:
- Requires a high school diploma; Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- At least five years of advanced-level experience in a similar role providing executive level/C-suite support.
- Strong skills in Microsoft Office Suite—Word, Access, Excel, PowerPoint, as well as Salesforce, Smartsheet, OneDrive). Excellent computer and Internet research skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and emotional intelligence.
- Project information coordination experience.
- Executive collateral experience.
- Ability to work well with all levels of internal management and staff, as well as outside clients and vendors.
- Sensitivity to confidential matters.
- Attention to detail is critical.
- The ideal candidate will have strong communication skills (written and verbal) and a clear ability to multi-task and prioritize in a fast-paced environment.
UNITED WAY WORLDWIDE BEHAVIORS:
- Extend Your Reach: Test your limits and seek what’s beyond. Take a stand and see it through. Ask for a hand, and lend a hand. Define and embrace a sense of community.
- Forge Trust: Lead with goodwill. Communicate with candor. Clear the air. Roll with it and make it work–together.
- Find Common Ground: Walk in someone else’s shoes and have their back. Acknowledge and recognize great work. Appreciate our differences. Share your story.
- Believe: Set and stay the course. Know that your work matters. Know that others care, too. Live the mission.
ABOUT UNITED WAY WORLDWIDE:
United Way Worldwide seeks diverse, qualified professionals who want to make a difference in the world. If you are passionate about your work and desire to help others achieve enhanced education, income, and health, United Way Worldwide is the place for you.
United Way Worldwide is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, age, and other legally protected characteristics. The EEO is the Law poster is available here: http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please e-mail email@example.com or call 703-836-7100, ext. 324 and provide the nature of your request and your contact information.
We are a charter member of Employers of National Service and encourage AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service alumni to apply.
United Way Worldwide is located in Old Town Alexandria, VA. We offer competitive salary and excellent benefits including: health, dental, life, short-term and long-term disability, employee assistance program, 403(b) plan, tuition assistance, paid time off, family sick leave, medical appointment leave, parental/adoption leave, dress for your day, free parking, onsite gym, monthly volunteering opportunities, and more.
Thank you for your interest in employment with United Way Worldwide. You will be contacted if your qualifications are a good match and you are selected for an interview.