25% or less - Overnight travel may be required 25% of time.
Relocation expenses reimbursed No
This is an Excepted Service position. This appointment will not confer Competitive Service career-conditional or career tenure status. This means that if you are selected, you would have to compete with other applicants in open competition to meet requirements for another Federal position, unless you meet the requirements for reinstatement. Applicants who voluntarily convert from the competitive service, Senior Executive Service, or other pay systems to a non-time limited appointment under this excepted service authority are not afforded “fallback rights” to the pay system previously assigned prior to conversion.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- Must be able to obtain/maintain a "Q" and Sensitive Compartmented Information (SCI) access.
- If selected at the GS-14 level, you will be required to complete a Confidential Financial Disclosure Statement (OGE-460) upon entering the position, and annually thereafter.
- Must successfully complete a CI Evaluation, which may also include a CI-scope polygraph examination.
- As a condition of appointment to this position, you will be subject to pre-employment/pre-appointment testing for illegal drug use under the U.S. Department of Energy Employee Drug Plan. If you are selected you will be provided information regarding drug testing. Failure to undergo testing or positive findings resulting from the test will eliminate you from further consideration for this position. If selected for and appointed to this position you will be subject to random drug testing while employed.
- Homeland Security Presidential Directive (HSPD-12). A selectee's appointment is contingent upon compliance with Homeland Security Presidential Directive (HSPD-12) governing personal identity.
- During off-duty hours, incumbent may be required to return to assigned duty station to perform one or more of the duties cited herein or to provide support to DOE policy makers, particularly during crisis periods.
SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
A qualified candidate's online application and resume must demonstrate at least one year of specialized experience equivalent to the next lower grade level in the Federal service. Specialized experience for this position is defined as:
For the GS-14 position, experience must be at least equivalent to the GS-13 level:
- Experience analyzing security violations to determine the adequacy, appropriate correction actions to prevent recurrence.
- Experience analyzing and adjudicating requests for access and determining eligibility.
- Experience providing security awareness briefings on security requirements for protecting SSRP, CAP/SAP, and NATO material.
- Experience developing guidance and instructions to Intelligence Communities (IC) policies to address unique operational requirements.
- Experience developing a security awareness and education program to use for security education purposes specifically focusing on the requirements of the SSRP, CAP/SAP, and NATO programs.
For the GS-13 position, experience must be at least equivalent to the GS-12 level:
- Experience assisting in determining the adequacy, appropriate correction actions to prevent recurrence.
- Experience gathering information for inquiries into reported security infractions, violations and compromises of classified intelligence information.
- Experience providing input when developing guidance and instructions to Intelligence Communities (IC) policies to address unique operational requirements.
- Experience assisting with security awareness and education program to use for security education purposes specifically focusing on the requirements of the SSRP, CAP/SAP, and NATO programs.
Your application and resume should demonstrate that you possess the following knowledge, skills and abilities (KSAs). Do not provide a separate narrative written statement. Rather, you must describe in your application how your past work experience demonstrates that you possess the KSAs identified below. Cite specific examples of employment or experience contained in your resume and describe how this experience has prepared you to successfully perform the duties of this position. DO NOT write "see resume" in your application!
- Knowledge of security concepts, practices and procedures as well as those that apply specifically to the Sensitive Compartmented Information (SCI), SSRP, CAP/SAP, and NATO programs.
- Knowledge of the guidelines and standards for the protection of programs as established by the Director of National Security (DNI), NATO, CAP, and SAP Program Managers.
- Knowledge of the criteria that must be applied for release of classified information.
- Ability to effectively communicate orally and in writing to all levels of management.
- Knowledge of the operation of Information Technology systems.
- Ability to conduct presentations and provide briefings relative to assigned areas.
CTAP/ICTAP candidates: To be considered "well qualified" you must meet all of the requirements as described in this section.
You must meet all qualifications and eligibility requirements by the closing date of this announcement.
There is no education requirement at the GS-13 or GS-14 grade level, and education cannot be substituted for experience.
The U.S. Department of Energy fosters a diverse and inclusive workplace and is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
- New employees to the Department of Energy will be required to successfully pass the E-Verify employment verification check. To learn about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, visit www.dhs.gov/E-Verify.
- Veterans and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, please visit the links at the bottom of this page or visit the FedsHireVets website.
- If you believe that you are eligible for the Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP), please visit the OPM ICTAP/CTAP website for more information. In order to be considered under the ICTAP program, your application must score within the pre-established "well qualified" category as stated in the Qualifications section.
- More than one selection may be made from this vacancy announcement.
- Some positions may require completion of a probationary period of up to 1 (one) year.
- Many positions require successful completion of a background investigation.
- All males born after December 31st 1959 must abide by laws regarding Selective Service registration. To learn more about this law, visit the Selective Service web page, Who Must Register. If you are not registered and don't have an approved exemption, you will not be eligible for employment with the Federal government.
- This position is not included in a bargaining unit
EEO Policy: https://help.usajobs.gov/index.php/EEO_Policy_Statement
Reasonable Accommodation Policy: https://help.usajobs.gov/index.php/Reasonable_Accommodation_Policy_Statement
Veterans Information: https://help.usajobs.gov/index.php/Veterans_Information
Selective Service Registration: http://www.sss.gov/
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
The Department of Energy uses an application tracking system to evaluate the responses you provide in the applicant assessment questionnaire to determine if you meet the minimum qualifications necessary for this position. Then, the HR Office and/or Subject Matter Expert (SME) will conduct a quality review of your application and supporting documentation to determine if your qualifications meet the criteria for referral to the selecting official.
We will also verify that you are eligible for Merit Promotion positions by reviewing your previous Federal employment to ensure you meet Time-in-Grade requirements. If you are eligible to apply to Merit Promotion announcements based on Veteran or other non-competitive statuses, we will verify your supporting documentation prior to referral.
If you are eligible for career transition assistance plans such as ICTAP or CTAP, you must meet the definition of "well qualified" which is defined as having a score of 85 or better.
If your resume is incomplete or does not support the responses you provided in your online questionnaire, or if you fail to submit all required documentation before the vacancy closes, you may be rated 'ineligible', 'not qualified', or your score may be adjusted accordingly.
To preview questions please click here.