Plans, coordinates and directs the design and construction of capital renewal, improvement and repair for power distribution systems projects including--but not limited to--generators, electrical systems, back-up power generation, load flow, relay coordination and short circuit analysis, voltage system design and distribution, ArchFlash protection, grounding, Commercial electrical design and layout, equipment, hardware and software specifications, etc. Develops project scope and technical specifications, implements the design, and oversees construction. Reviews county building designs and specifications to ensure efficient design that meets Industry, County, State and Federal requirements. Strong knowledge of computer applications and software (such as CAD) associated with the preparation of plans and engineering computations. Strong knowledge of computer software (such as Project, Excel, construction management) associated with project and budget management. This position is a team lead responsible for supervising construction project managers, as well as, providing support to other Department teams. This position is responsible for managing multiple staff, contractors, and projects throughout the entire life of the project as well as communicating with end users to coordinate project construction and manage expectations. Ability to work in AutoCAD and perform system calculations and analysis is a must. Signs off on the work of subordinate employees and signs off on own work as a Professional Electrical Engineer. Performs related duties as required. Duties are performed under general guidance of the Assistant Director, Planning, Engineering and Energy, Facilities Management Department.Required Knowledge Skills and Abilities
Depending on the functional area of assignment:
- Knowledge of the principles, theory and practice of civil, architectural, and environmental engineering or urban planning;
- Knowledge of computer applications and software (such as CAD) associated with the preparation of plans and engineering computations;
- Knowledge of common methods and equipment used in engineering construction and of inspection methods used in reviewing such work;
- Knowledge of the principles, practices and techniques relating to construction project management and contract administration;
- Knowledge of Virginia Uniform Statewide Building Code and the codes and ordinances which apply to building construction in Fairfax County;
- Knowledge of real property descriptions;
- Knowledge of environmental testing methods;
- Ability to review construction documents, designs and proposals for costs, design requirements and compatibility with County standards, guides and operational needs;
- Ability to prepare reports, specifications, and contract documents, studies, and technical analysis and present findings in clear and concise format;
- Ability to coordinate long-term, complex project plans;
- Ability to plan, coordinate and oversee the work of team(s), subordinates and diverse professional and sub-professional engineering staff;
- Ability to communicate and interact effectively with the public, senior County staff and the Fairfax County Board of Supervisors.
Any combination of education, training and experience equivalent to graduation from a four-year college or university accredited by the Accreditation Board of Engineering and Technologies with a bachelor's degree in the appropriate engineering or architectural field; plus five years of progressively responsible professional experience in the appropriate engineering field.
CERTIFICATES AND LICENSES REQUIRED:
- Valid driver's license.
- Possession of a valid Virginia Professional Engineer or Architect license. An individual who possesses a valid Professional Engineer or Architect license in another state will be granted a temporary exemption to this requirement pending the Board for Architects, Professional Engineers, Land Surveyors, Certified Interior Designers & Landscape Architects decision regarding that individual's application for reciprocity. As a Professional Engineer or Registered Architect, signs and seals own work product and/or that of subordinate staff.
The appointee to this position will be required to complete a criminal background and driving record check to the satisfaction of the employer.
This position is designated an "Essential Employee." Night and weekend wok hours may be required.
B.S. in electrical engineer with a strong background in commercial power distribution project, construction and energy management. Thorough knowledge of mission critical power distribution and backup systems. Strong background in energy management informing, validating and optimizing commercial power distribution and lighting systems design and operation. Strong contract management skills. Strong staff management skills.
Must be able to access facility equipment and equipment rooms. Must be able to communicate by phone. Must be mobile to access active construction sites. Ability to climb ladders, access tight spaces, crawl, reach, lift 25 lbs, push 25lbs, etc. Dexterity to use hand tools. Vision to see detail drawings, construction and discern color. All duties performed with or without reasonable accommodations.
Panel interview and may include written and plan review exercise.
It is the policy of Fairfax County Government to prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, sex, color, national origin, religion, age, veteran status, political affiliation, genetics, or disability in the recruitment, selection, and hiring of its workforce.
Reasonable accommodations are available to persons with disabilities during application and/or interview processes per the Americans with Disabilities Act. Contact 703-324-4900 for assistance. TTY 703-222-7314. EEO/AA/TTY.