SUPERVISORY PROGRAM MANAGER
Occasional travel - You may/will be required to travel frequently on both domestic and foreign Temporary Duty (TDY) assignments.
Relocation expenses reimbursed No
- You must be a U.S. Citizen to apply for this position
- Males born after 12/31/1959 must be registered with Selective Service
- Primary U.S. residency for the last three years (additional details below)
- You may be required to pass a background investigation and/or polygraph
- Upon appointment, you may be required to undergo random drug testing
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
- Meet all qualification requirements, including education if applicable to this position, subject to verification at any stage of the application process; and
- Meet all applicable Time in Grade requirements (current federal employees must have served 52 weeks at the next lower grade or equivalent grade band in the federal service) by 03/27/2019.
Background Investigation: U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) is a federal law enforcement agency that requires all applicants to undergo a thorough background investigation prior to employment in order to promote the agency's core values of vigilance, service to country, and integrity. During the screening and/or background investigation process, you will be asked questions regarding any felony criminal convictions or current felony charges, the use of illegal drugs (e.g., marijuana, cocaine, heroin, LSD, methamphetamines, ecstasy), and the use of non-prescribed controlled substances including any experimentation, possession, sale, receipt, manufacture, cultivation, production, transfer, shipping, trafficking, or distribution of controlled substances. . For more information visit this link.
Residency: If you are not currently a CBP employee, you must meet one or more of the following primary residency criteria for at least three years prior to applying to this announcement:
- Resided in the United States or its protectorate or territories (excluding short trips abroad, such as vacations);
- Worked for the United States government as an employee overseas in a federal or military capacity; or
- Been a dependent of a United States federal or military employee serving overseas.
Probationary Period: All employees new to the federal government must serve a one year probationary period during the first year of his/her initial permanent federal appointment to determine fitness for continued employment. Current and former federal employees may be required to serve or complete a probationary period.
Agency Career Transition Assistance Program (CTAP) or the Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP) Eligibles: If you have never worked for the Federal Government, you are not CTAP/ICTAP eligible. Information about ICTAP or CTAP eligibility can be found here. You must submit the supporting documents listed in the "Required Documents" section of this announcement. In addition, to be considered well qualified under CTAP/ICTAP, you must possess the knowledge, skills and abilities and/or competencies clearly exceeding the minimum requirements of the position. This will be measured by a score of 85 or higher.
Please see the Qualifications and Required Documents sections for more information if education is applicable to this position.
This position is not covered under the bargaining unit.
Financial Disclosure is required.
Supervisory Probationary Period: You may be required to serve an 18 month probationary period upon appointment and complete a supervisory training course within 12 months of assignment.
Supervisory Training: All newly appointed, GS-15 Senior Managers are required to complete mandatory training. The training will be scheduled by the Office of Training and Development within the first 90 days of appointment. The duration of the training will include CBP LI five (5) weeks of in residence training in Harpers Ferry, WV.
Note: This training may be waived if previously completed.
Special Appointing Authority: Veterans, military spouses, Peace Corps/VISTA volunteers, and people with disabilities possess a wealth of unique talents, experiences, and competencies that can be invaluable to the DHS mission. If you are a member of one of these groups, you may not have to compete with the public for federal jobs. To determine your eligibility and to understand what documentation would be required with your application, please click on the appropriate link below. You must provide documentation supporting your eligibility prior to the closing date of this announcement. If you have any questions regarding your eligibility, please contact the CBP Hiring Center via the contact information listed at the end of this job opportunity announcement.
- Military spouses Effective until August 12, 2023, any spouse of a member on active duty may be eligible
- Individuals with Disabilities The proof of disability documentation must specify that you are eligible to apply using Schedule A. It does NOT need to detail your specific disability, medical history or need for accommodation. For more information visit this link.
- Peace Corps/VISTA
- Other miscellaneous hiring authorities
CBP uses E-Verify, an internet-based system, to confirm the eligibility of all newly hired employees to work in the United States. Learn more about E-Verify including your rights and responsibilities.
Every individual receives a fair opportunity throughout the federal recruitment and hiring process. Learn more here.
Follow U.S. Customs and Border Protection on Twitter @CustomsBorder Read more
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Applicants will only be considered for the Eligibilities for which they claim (and provide supporting documentation) based on the responses provided in the job questionnaire: https://apply.usastaffing.gov/ViewQuestionnaire/10450503
We will review your resume and supporting documentation to ensure you meet the basic qualification requirements. If you meet the minimum qualifications, your experience, education and training will be rated using an online self-assessment questionnaire based on the competencies and/or knowledge, skills, and abilities listed below. You will receive a score ranging from 70-100 based on your responses. Your entire application package will then be reviewed. The final determination will be based on all the information provided in your application package.
If you are best qualified, you may be referred to the hiring manager for consideration and may be called for an interview. To preview the job questionnaire, see https://apply.usastaffing.gov/ViewQuestionnaire/10450503
If you are among the best-qualified applicants referred for selection consideration, you may be required to complete an assessment of your writing skills.
- If you have taken the Writing Skills Assessment(s) within the past twelve months, you are not eligible to retake the assessment - existing scores will be used.
- If you took the assessment(s) more than twelve months ago, you may retake the assessment(s). When you opt to re-take the assessment(s), your MOST RECENT score will be used.
- Knowledge of human capital initiatives related to latest trends and innovation in recruitment and talent acquisition
- Ability to identify new technical and/or business recruitment capabilities needed to improve organizational performance and efficiency
- Skill in providing oversight and direction to high-level officials across organizational divisions in the development, coordination, and delivery of complex recruitment strategies and outreach plans
- Knowledge of developing, forecasting and managing the recruitment budget to support recruitment initiatives; applies data/business analytics to formulate recruitment strategies and develops actionable recommendations based on the analytics
- Skill in communication and collaboration to develop and deliver high quality training in recruitment techniques, diversity and inclusion, and protocol while establishing strategic partnerships with internal and external organizations