7 days left
- Full Time
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Relocation expenses reimbursed No
The position of Chemist falls under the 1320 occupational series. To qualify for this position at grade GS-11/12/13/14, you must meet the following:
Chemist, GS-1320: Degree: physical science, life science , or engineering that included 30 semester hours in chemistry, supplemented by course work in mathematics through differential and integral calculus, and at least 6 semester hours of physics;
Combination of education and experience-- Course work equivalent to a major as shown in A above, including at least 30 semester hours in chemistry, supplemented by mathematics through differential and integral calculus, and at least 6 semester hours of physics, plus appropriate experience or additional education.
In addition to the above, applicants must meet the below specialized experience:
GS-11 Specialized Experience: One year of specialized experience, equivalent to at least the GS-9 grade level in the Federal service that includes: 1) Generating, compiling and evaluating scientific data; 2) Providing scientific advice to program staff or performing laboratory analyses related to the scientific discipline; and 3) Assisting in writing comprehensive statistical and analytical reports from research, scientific inspections, investigations, studies and projects.
3 years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to a Ph.D. degree
Ph.D. or equivalent doctoral degree
GS-12 Specialized Experience: One year of specialized experience, equivalent to at least the GS-11 grade level in the Federal service that includes: 1) Formulating projects, assessing program effectiveness and analyzing a variety of unusual conditions, problems, or questions; 2) Reviewing scientific documents and providing guidance in one or more specialized areas within chemistry; and 3) Collaborating with a variety of audiences to evaluate comprehensive policies and/or regulations supporting rulemakings and scientific guidance documents.
GS-13 Specialized Experience: One year of specialized experience, equivalent to at least the GS-12 grade level in the Federal service that includes: 1) Planning and directing the development and modification of analytical methods and research projects; 2) Performing evaluation and interpretation of scientific data and results, and determining the significance as it relates to the scientific discipline; and 3) Providing expertise to develop policies, regulations supporting rulemakings and scientific guidance documents.
GS-14 Specialized Experience: One year of specialized experience, equivalent to at least the GS-13 grade level in the Federal service that includes: 1) Serving as a recognized scientific expert in the analysis, formulation, investigation, and characterization of one of the following: regulated products, tobacco products, medical devices, food components, drugs, antibiotics, agricultural chemicals, biological products, and/or environmental agents, hazardous and toxic substances; 2) Providing advisory services, project management, strategic leadership and support for high quality, collaborative, and scientific activities and research; and 3) Counseling and training team members on critical and significant scientific projects, concepts, procedures, guidelines, and policies.
If you are claiming education as any part of your qualifications for this position, you must submit an official transcripts, unofficial transcript, or a list including courses, grades earned, completion dates, and quarter and semester hours earned. If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet the qualification requirements, you must show that the education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education programs and such education has been deemed equivalent to that gained in an accredited U.S. education program.
If you are using education completed at foreign colleges or universities to meet the qualification requirements, you must show that the education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education programs and such education has been deemed equivalent to that gained in an accredited U.S. education program.
If you have transferred educational credit from a foreign institution to one in the U.S., you must still show that your foreign education was evaluated by an organization recognized by the Department of Education, even if that foreign education was accepted as transfer credit by a domestic college or university.
For more information about this requirement, please visit the U.S. Department of Education website for Foreign Education Evaluation.
ADDITIONAL CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- If you are serving, or have served in the last 5 years (from 06/21/2019) as an Executive Branch political, Schedule C, or Non-career SES appointee, HHS/FDA may be required to obtain approval by the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) prior to beginning employment. You can find out if you have held one of these appointment types by looking at your Standard Form 50s in your Electronic Official Personnel Folder (eOPF), in Section 5 where the legal authorities are listed. If you have served or are currently serving, you must provide a copy of your SF-50, Notification of Personnel Action, documenting this appointment. In addition, you will be required to respond to the question in the assessment and certify your responses to the questionnaire. Political Appointee FAQ - OPM
- Incentives may be authorized; however, this is contingent upon funds availability. If authorized, certain incentives will require you to sign a service agreement to remain in the Federal government for a period of up to 3 years. Note: This statement does not imply nor guarantee an incentive will be offered and paid. Incentives include the following: moving expenses, recruitment or relocation incentive; student loan repayment, superior qualifications appointment, creditable service for annual leave for prior non-federal work experience or prior uniformed military service, etc.
- Pre-Employment Physical: No
- Drug Testing Requirement: No
- License Requirement: No
- Immunization Requirement: No
- Mobility Agreement Required: No
- Bargaining Unit Position: Yes
- Veteran's Preference: If you plan to apply for any time of Veterans Preference, please pay careful attention to the "Required Documents" section for more information about what to provide in your application. See Veterans Preference for more.
- Selective Service Registration: Males born after December 31, 1959 must be registered or exempt from Selective Service. You can learn more by visiting the Selective Service Registration site.
- Schedule A: If you plan to apply under Schedule A based on a disability, please pay careful attention to the "Required Documents" section for more information about what to provide in your application. See Individuals with Disabilities for more.
- Career Transition Assistance Programs: If you are a displaced Federal employee and plan to apply under CTAP or ICTAP, please pay careful attention to the "Required Documents" section for more information about what to provide in your application. See Career Transition Assistance for more.
- Financial disclosure statement, OGE-450, required: No
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Once the job opportunity announcement closes (at 11:59 pm Eastern Time on 06/21/2019), a review of your resume and supporting documentation will be conducted, the information will be compared against your responses to the assessment questionnaire to determine your eligibility for Federal employment, and then whether you are qualified for this particular position.
If, after reviewing your resume and/or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your responses when compared to your background information, you may be deemed ineligible, or your score may be adjusted to more accurately reflect your skills and abilities.
Because this vacancy will be filled through OPM's Direct Hire Authority. Veterans Preference and traditional rating and ranking of applicants do not apply to positions filled under this announcement. Applications received as a result of job fairs, recruitment events, and emergency hiring mechanisms in support of this hiring initiative will also be accepted during the duration of the direct-hire authority. All qualified candidates will be referred for consideration; the hiring office may conduct interviews at their discretion.
Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your eligibility.