Attorney Advisor (Tax), Senior Technical Reviewer (International)
Occasional travel - 5% or greater
Relocation expenses reimbursed No
Condition of Employment:
- Have your salary sent to a financial institution of your choice by Direct Deposit/Electronic Funds Transfer.
- Must prepare an annual OGE 450, Confidential Financial Disclosure Report.
- Subject to a 1-year trial period (unless already completed).
- Complete a Declaration for Federal Employment to determine your suitability for Federal employment, at the time requested by the agency.
- If you are a male applicant born after December 31, 1959, certify that you have registered with the Selective Service System or are exempt from having to do so.
- Go through a Personal Identity Verification (PIV) process that requires two forms of identification from the Form I-9. Federal law requires verification of the identity and employment eligibility of all new hires in the U.S.
- Obtain and use a Government-issued charge card for business-related travel.
- If selected, you will be required to submit an original Certificate of Good Standing from your State Bar.
Because of its tax-related mission, the Office of Chief Counsel requires fingerprinting, tax verification, and a background security investigation as part of the pre-employment process.
You must meet the following requirements by the closing date of this announcement:
To qualify for this position at the GS-15 grade level, you must have one year of specialized experience, equivalent in scope and effect to the GS-14 level.
Specialized experience: You must possess the following specialized experience which is in, or directly related to, the work of the position to be filled. Specialized knowledge and experience includes the following: Branch 1 - Thorough and comprehensive professional knowledge of Federal tax laws and regulations, and decisions applicable thereto, particularly as they relate to income tax treaties, cross border employment issues ( including pensions, stock options and social security issues), inbound taxation of foreign corporations (sections 864, 882 and 884), the residence and taxation of nonresident aliens, hybrid entities in the treaty context, the taxation and reporting rules for foreign trusts and estates, special rules for individuals who expatriate, transportation income and the foreign insurance excise tax.
- Candidates must be admitted to practice law before the highest court of a state or territory of the United States; the District of Columbia; or the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico.
- One year of legal experience plus three years of professional legal tax experience refers to full-time work after admittance to the bar. Part-time work is considered on a prorated basis.
- Experience may have been gained in the public sector, private sector, or through Volunteer Service.
- GS-15: You must have been at the GS-14 level for 52 weeks. (time-in-grade requirement).
- To ensure full credit for your work experience, please indicate dates of employment by month/year, and indicate number of hours worked per week, on your resume.
Applicants must possess a J.D. and have one year of general legal experience plus three years of professional legal tax experience. An LL.M. degree in the field of the position (tax) may be substituted for one year of general legal experience listed above.
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
If you are qualifying based on foreign education, you must submit proof of credibility of education as evaluated by a credentialing agency. Refer to the OPM instructions.
- We may select from this announcement or any other source to fill one or more vacancies.
- This is a non bargaining unit position.
- We offer opportunities for telework.
- We offer opportunities for flexible work schedules.
The salary range indicated in this vacancy includes base pay only. Salary will be set with respect to the location of the position.Read more
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Your application includes your resume and responses to the online questions and required supporting documents. Please be sure that your resume includes detailed information to support your qualifications for this position; failure to provide sufficient evidence in your resume will result in a “not qualified” determination.
Applicants will be considered based on their overall background as it relates to the position to be filled. All application materials and interviews, if conducted, will be used in the final evaluation and selection process.
If you meet the eligibility requirements, the Executive Resources Branch will assess your overall specialized knowledge and experience as it relates to the position to be filled, compare it to the other applicants' knowledge and experience and determine the candidate best qualified for the position. The board may or may not conduct interviews. You will be notified of the outcome.
Your application will be rated and ranked among others, based on your responses to the online questions, regarding your experience, training, performance appraisals and awards relevant to the duties of this position. Your rating may be lowered, if your responses to the online questions are not supported by the experience described in your application.
Referral: If you are among the top qualified candidates, your application may be referred to a selecting official for consideration. You may be required to participate in a selection interview. We will not reimburse costs related to the interview such as travel to and from the interview site.
To preview questions please click here.