Arlington County Management Interns
This is a one-year, full-time, paid Internship Program
Most Internships will begin between
July 1, 2019 and September 1, 2019*
Arlington County is an exciting, innovative local government entity located in Northern Virginia. We are seeking bright, highly motivated individuals for an exciting one-year Management Internship in a variety of positions across the County. These positions offer a career opportunity to qualified individuals with little or no previous professional work experience to help them prepare for a career in a variety of fields of work. This Internship will provide new college graduates and currently enrolled graduate students with in-depth, hands-on learning opportunities in areas critical to supporting local government initiatives while participating in a developmental and training cohort with peers.
Over the course of a year, Management Interns work under the mentorship and supervision of senior staff members to gain valuable on-the-job training and real-world work experience. They support the County's efforts to consistently work toward greater efficiency and effectiveness by offering improved processes and fresh ideas, and by leveraging smart technologies, while becoming familiar with the public-sector work environment as a viable and fulfilling career path.
2018 and 2019 college graduates with a minimum GPA of 3.0 and who have no professional work experience in an area related to the internship are welcome to apply. Applications will be considered from candidates who have earned a Bachelor's or Master's degree in 2018 or 2019 prior to the start date of the Internship or who are currently enrolled in a Master's degree program related to the internship.
The successful candidate will possess the following traits;
- The willingness to explore and follow best practices;
- Self-motivation with a desire to excel;
- Excellent analytical, quantitative, and problem-solving abilities;
- Demonstrated experience managing multiple projects and/or tasks and easily switch focus as required;
- Ability to research and understand technical documentation;
- Interacting with multiple levels of staff and to express ideas articulately, verbally, and in writing to a variety of audiences;
- Exceptional attention to detail and strong organizational and planning skills; and
- Strong customer service skills.
Department of Technology Services (DTS)
DTS serves the County by building, maintaining, and securing a world-class information technology environment and providing technical expertise to County departments and agencies. Our focus is on networking, telecommunications, database and application development, Web services, financial and emergency systems, and emerging technologies.
Cybersecurity Intern Position Duties:
- Perform regular security analysis and monitoring, coordinate first line incident response, and compile cyber security metrics reports;
- Manage requests, document incidents, resolve problems, and attend to maintenance tasks in the County's ticketing system (Cherwell ITSM);
- Build test network or endpoint device prototypes;
- Configure security components of network and endpoint devices including workstations and servers, firewalls and VPN appliances, security information and event management systems (SIEM), and intrusion detection systems (IDS);
- Contribute to the development and implementation of Information Security best practices for strategies, guidelines, policies, procedures and enforcement measure; and
- Remain current on existing and emerging technologies via professional groups, trade publications, internal and external training, independent research and study.
- Track project progress at a detailed level, prepare and present progress reports and intuitive visualizations;
- Project coordination, including scheduling meetings, developing meeting agendas, taking notes during meetings and producing meeting minutes and action items;
- Manage Microsoft Sharepoint and Teams sites including site design, document management, blog content and responses, posting news and other relevant links, provisioning appropriate access;
- Participate in and contribute to the Arlington Data Analyst Community, a group of self-selected data professionals in Arlington County Government; and
- Contribute to the development and implementation of data privacy best practices for strategies, guidelines, policies, procedures and enforcement measures.
- Work with department senior management on projects to design and implement timely and useful operating and capital budget reporting;
- Develop a deep knowledge of SharePoint Workflows to automate department processes;
- Develop a working knowledge of Microsoft PowerBI (business and data intelligence tool) to analyze wireless calling data; and
- Develop financial models to monitor and allocate cloud computing costs.
We anticipate filling these positions between July 1, 2019 and September 1, 2019. Therefore, applications will be accepted from candidates graduating with an undergraduate degree no later than August 2019 and from candidates currently pursuing a Master's Degree in their field.
- Must have earned a Bachelor's or Master's degree in 2018 or 2019 prior to the start date of the Internship or are currently enrolled in a Master's degree program related to the internship.
- Management Interns may not have professional work experience related to the internship.
- G.P.A. of 3.0 or above. Applicants may be asked to provide certified official transcripts.
DTS Cybersecurity Intern: Major Information Technology or Computer Science.
- Desirables: Preference may be given to candidates with experience in Cybersecurity.
DTS Privacy - Open Data Intern: IT Project Management, Business Administration, or other project-management related degree.
- Desirables: Preference may be given to candidates with experience in project management.
DTS Finance Analyst Intern: Accounting, Finance, Business or related degree.
- Desirables: Preference may be given to candidates with intermediate level experience in the MS Office suite including, MS Excel, MS Word, MS PowerPoint, and MS Outlook.
Work Hours: Monday - Friday from 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. with occasional night or weekend hours for project implementations and scheduled changes. Some flexibility.
Applicants may be asked to provide certified official transcripts.
All Management Interns are eligible for health, dental, and leave benefits.
Completion of the Supplemental Questionnaire is required as part of the application process for this position. You may further describe your experience by attaching a resume. However, please do not give "see resume" as a response to the questions. Incomplete applications will not be considered.