SENIOR CENTER DIRECTOR
Arlington County's Department of Parks and Recreation is seeking a professional recreation programmer to ensure the quality and content of programs through design, development, implementation and evaluation of a full range of programming for the Senior Center at the Walter Reed Community Center. This position will assess needs and develop programs in concert with the Office of Senior Adult Programs (OSAP) goals and core programming elements; create fliers and marketing materials for programs including written descriptions for 55+ Guide; evaluate programs and analyze results; submit required monthly and quarterly reports; serve on interdisciplinary projects and teams; and provide supervision to staff and volunteers.Specific duties include:
- Overseeing the daily operation/management of the Senior Center, on-site registration, renewal, class sign-up, travel sign-up, and recording of fees and maintaining service agreements with facility management and senior program partners and stakeholders;
- Monitoring allocated budget, documenting and tracking expenditures and maintaining inventories for equipment and supplies, ordering equipment, arranging for resources, and reporting needed equipment repairs;
- Providing direct supervision for some senior adult activities in the Center and identifying and cultivating new participant leadership and empowerment through advisory councils;
- Recruiting, hiring, training and monitoring the work of volunteers, coordinating the use of volunteers in the Center while encouraging team development and leadership from all volunteers;
- Writing, producing, and distributing publicity materials for programs including 55+ Guide, Center newsletter, calendars, flyers, etc;
- Creating a setting that fosters senior empowerment, self-governance, risk taking and exploration of new roles for senior program participants;
- Cultivating appropriate leadership and volunteerism among seniors and other stakeholders; and
- Providing excellent customer service to all participants, colleagues and stakeholders while providing advocacy, education, resource referral, and consultation through communication with staff and customers.
The employee is expected to demonstrate effective leadership by following County and Senior Center professional standards of leadership which are: showing respect, responding with sensitivity to individuality; developing nurturing relationships, and building on individual strengths; and creating an atmosphere where different perspectives, opinions and positions are welcomed, encouraged and fully explored. The employee will have strong administrative, interpersonal and communications skills along with technology proficiency.Selection Criteria
Minimum: Bachelor's degree in Recreation, Gerontology, Social Work, Therapeutic Recreation, Adult Education or a closely related Human service field, plus one year of experience in administration or management of programs in a senior adult and/or recreation setting.
Substitution: Additional education may be substituted for experience, or additional responsible experience may be substituted for education.
Desirable: Preference may be given to applicants with one or more of the following:
- Proficiency in computer skills and office equipment, including Microsoft Office software and Outlook;
- Experience in recreation program assessment, design, planning, implementation and evaluation;
- Experience working with diverse communities;
- Bilingual skills; and
- Experience developing and maintaining relationships with community organizations, service providers, citizens advisory groups and professional partners;
The applicant must possess, or obtain by the time of appointment, a valid motor vehicle operator's license from the applicant's place of residence. If the applicant possesses or acquires a license, the applicant must authorize Arlington County to obtain, or the applicant must provide a copy of the applicant's official state/district driving record. Any offer of employment may be contingent upon a favorable review of the applicant's driving record.Additional Information
Work Hours: Employee will work a varied schedule, 40 hours per week, to include daytime, evening, weekend and/or holiday hours, averaging 2-6 evenings or weekends per month. Hours are adjusted and on a flex schedule basis.
The employee must be able to travel to different locations. Completion of the Supplemental Questionnaire is required and a part of the application process for consideration for this position. Do not give "see resume" as a response to questions. Incomplete applications will not be considered.