HUMAN SERVICES SPECIALIST (COMMUNITY OUTREACH) Bilingual, English/Spanish
Arlington County is seeking a compassionate team member to serve as a professional Human Services Specialist and be part of the Community Outreach Program in the Community Assistance Bureau (CAB). CAB is one of five operational bureaus in the Department of Human Services' Economic Independence Division. The unit serves a culturally and ethically diverse population including adults who may have developmental delays and emotional disturbances, low income adults in need of public benefits, and newly arrived immigrants who are adjusting to a new society and culture. The program provides access to an array of programs and services promoting the self-sufficiency of immigrants and the most vulnerable populations in the County.
The primary role of the Human Services Specialist is to assess client needs, provide program referrals, and educate clients and their families on self-care, assistance with immigration and tools for self-sustainability. The position is also responsible for working closely with partners, providing supervision of volunteers for programs, care to clients and maintaining client case records electronically.
Specific duties include:
- Interviewing, assessing, and assisting clients with the completion of intake forms and making initial determination of client needs and appropriateness of specific programs or services for referral;
- Providing direct services to cover a wide range of areas including, but not limited to: life and employment counseling; basic immigration guidance; housing assistance; referral to mental health services; assistance with benefits applications, and referrals for skills-based training (ESL, computer, etc.);
- Collaborating with clinical staff regarding referrals for provision of services in cases of complex clinical concerns;
- Planning and executing individual site and program-wide community events occurring several times throughout the year;
- Utilizing Microsoft Office Suite functions to provide presentations to internal Department of Human Services' staff to promote the Community Outreach Program's services; and
- Assisting with both DHS and County-wide initiatives to include volunteering at events as well as planning and execution as needed.
Arlington County DHS is committed to delivering client services in an effective, equitable, respectful, and trauma-informed manner. Our staff is dedicated to ensuring our clients are approached, engaged and cared for in ways that demonstrate competency, sensitivity and awareness of factors which impact the client experience including but not limited to: cultural identity, gender, racial, and ethnic diversity, religious/spiritual ascription, physical capability, cognitive and literacy levels, sexual orientation, and linguistic needs.
To learn more about our services, please click here. Selection Criteria
Minimum: Bilingual ability in Spanish and English. Bachelor's degree in Sociology, Social Work, Psychology, Special Education, Mental Health, Counseling or related field, plus one year of experience working in a community setting providing outreach services to low-income or immigrant communities.
Substitution: Additional qualifying experience may be substituted for the education requirement on a year-for-year basis. A Master's degree may substitute for one year of experience.
Desirable: Preference may be given to candidates with experience in one or more of the following:
- Experience providing social services such as counseling, community-based social work, information and referral, case management or related services; and/or
- Master's Degree in an associated field.
The applicant must possess, or obtain by the time of appointment, a valid motor vehicle operator's license from the applicant's place of residence or the applicant must have the ability or willingness to use alternative methods of transportation to perform assigned duties and responsibilities at locations other than the primary worksite. If the applicant possesses or acquires a license, the applicant must authorize Arlington County to obtain, or the applicant must provide, copy of the applicant's official state/district driving record. Any offer of employment may be contingent upon a favorable review of the applicant's driving record.
A pre-hire background check will be made on all candidates who are selected for employment. It may include checks of the following: criminal record, driving record, education, professional licensure, and credit history. You may be required to sign a release authorizing the County to obtain your background information.
Completion of a State of Virginia Central Registry Check.
This announcement may be used to fill future vacancies. An assessment of oral Spanish proficiency would be required before a candidate can be appointed to a bilingual position (English/Spanish). The incumbent in a bilingual position would receive the language pay premium on all hours worked and on paid leave hours.
Work hours: 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Monday through Friday with some work hours outside of normal business hours including evenings and weekends as required.
Your responses to the supplemental questionnaire are considered part of the selection process and are required for this position. Please do not give "see resume" as a response to the questions. Incomplete applications will not be considered.