Director, Human Resources & Administration
The Air Force Association, an independent, non-profit 501(c)(3), aerospace organization, located in Arlington, Virginia, seeks a strategic and innovative leader to serve in the role of Director of Human Resources & Administration. The incumbent will partner with AFA managers and employees in the areas of human resources, building operations and general office management.
AFA’s mission is to promote a dominant United States Air Force and a strong national defense, and to honor Airmen and our Air Force Heritage. To accomplish this, we:
EDUCATE the public on the critical need for unmatched aerospace power and a technically superior workforce to ensure U.S. national security
ADVOCATE for aerospace power and STEM education.
SUPPORT the total Air Force family and promote aerospace education.
The Director, Human Resources & Administration will act as an advisor to executive leadership on HR and administrative matters while partnering with department managers and staff. The position reports directly to the President and will supervise the Receptionist, the service center Site Manager, and the HR/Administration Manager. AFA’s staff size is approximately 65 employees.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
Human Resources (60%)
- Aligns strategic HR processes and policies with overall organizational goals in concert with executive leadership
- Identifies personnel strategies to support staff and move AFA forward
- Serves as AFA’s subject matter expert on HR best practices and critical personnel matters
- Develops recruiting and retention tactics to support organizational objectives. Supports department managers with recruiting and hiring efforts. Manages full employee life cycle from onboarding to departing and exit interviews.
- Provides support and recommendations with regard to employee relations
- Cultivates relationships across all departments to assess and address employee needs
- Maintains compliance with all federal, state, and local laws
- Advances development of management team in soft skills and communication efforts in support of a high performance culture
- Conducts employee performance management program and manages all related processes
- Directs employee benefits processes to include annual contract review, renewals, benefit selections, billing, etc. Handles COBRA administration.
- Oversees biweekly payroll processes and confirms timely, accurate payroll submissions
- Develops, maintains and ensures compliance with salary and compensation policies
- Outlines annual staff training plan, and conducts training on various topics and processes as identified
- Develops diversity, equity and inclusion initiatives and ensures appropriate levels of DEI compliance occur on an ongoing basis
- Conducts conflict resolution and internal investigations; consults with AFA’s attorneys as needed
- Writes and updates employee policies; researches industry trends to develop relevant adjustments
- Supervises the Manager, HR & Administration and provides motivation, support and opportunities for growth and development
Building Operations (20%)
- Liaison with property management firm on building matters such as day-to-day operations, construction, projects, tenant concerns, and leasing
- Advises on initiatives, maintains building budget compliance and recommends modifications
- Reviews vendor contracts and makes appropriate recommendations
Office Operations Management (20%)
- Supervises the receptionist position including workflow, training and scheduling
- Manages service center site manager and oversees printing/copying and general mailroom operations
- Manages the office services contract and AFA’s general insurance plans
- Ensures a safe environment for all employees and visitors
The ideal candidate will have:
- Exceptional communication skills both written and verbal, and the ability to effectively speak in public
- Excellent attention to detail, organizational and multi-tasking abilities
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office with specific emphasis on Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Ability to learn new programs such as an HRIS system
- Knowledge of ADP WorkForce Now or similar payroll system
- Broad knowledge of federal, state and local HR employment laws, regulations and guidelines
- Familiarity with annual reporting and compliance requirements
- Understanding of the essential elements of managing a building
- Strong critical thinking, problem-solving, and interpersonal skills
- Ability to maintain confidentiality, exercise good judgment and remain objective
- Ability to develop credibility and establish trust with leadership and among staff
- Ability to balance strategic objectives with tactical execution
- Ability to work efficiently in a collaborative environment
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution is required
- Master’s degree in Management, Human Resources, or related field is preferred
- 7-10 years of related experience
- Prior experience working in a nonprofit environment preferred
- Experience managing a broad range of human resources functions including benefits, employee relations, payroll, compensation, organizational structure, training, compliance, and diversity/inclusion
- 3 years of experience successfully managing staff
- SPHR/PHR or SHRM-CP/SCP certifications a plus
- Demonstrated leadership throughout the enterprise
- Proven ability to handle matters of confidentiality and to maintain neutrality
- Contract management experience, a plus
Air Force Association offers excellent benefits including health, dental, life insurance, paid time off plus holidays, flexible work hours, free parking, a generous employer 401(k) contribution, and more. For consideration, a cover letter and resume detailing your specific qualifications for this role, along with salary requirements must be sent via email to email@example.com by April 12, 2019. Please reference the Director, HR & Administration opening in the subject of your email. Only completed submissions will be considered.
Air Force Association provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. In addition to federal law requirements, Air Force Association complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment.