Accountant, ZA-0510-II/III, BEA-D-VFP
Relocation expenses reimbursed No
Applicants must meet all qualification requirements by the closing date of this announcement.
This is a NON-BARGAINING unit position.
Basic Entry Requirements:
A. Degree: accounting; or a degree in a related field such as business administration, finance, or public administration that included or was supplemented by 24 semester hours in accounting. The 24 hours may include up to 6 hours of credit in business law. (The term "accounting" means "accounting and/or auditing" in this standard. Similarly, "accountant" should be interpreted, generally, as "accountant and/or auditor.")
B. Combination of education and experience: at least 4 years of experience in accounting, or an equivalent combination of accounting experience, college-level education, and training that provided
- Twenty-four semester hours in accounting or auditing courses of appropriate type and quality. This can include up to 6 hours of business law;
- A certificate as Certified Public Accountant or a Certified Internal Auditor, obtained through written examination; or
- Completion of the requirements for a degree that included substantial course work in accounting or auditing, e.g., 15 semester hours, but that does not fully satisfy the 24-semester-hour requirement of paragraph A, provided that (a) the applicant has successfully worked at the full-performance level in accounting, auditing, or a related field, e.g., valuation engineering or financial institution examining; (b) a panel of at least two higher level professional accountants or auditors has determined that the applicant has demonstrated a good knowledge of accounting and of related and underlying fields that equals in breadth, depth, currency, and level of advancement that which is normally associated with successful completion of the 4-year course of study described in paragraph A; and (c) except for literal nonconformance to the requirement of 24 semester hours in accounting, the applicant's education, training, and experience fully meet the specified requirements.
In addition to meeting the Basic Entry Requirements above, applicants must have the experience listed below.
Band II (GS-9)
To qualify for the band II (GS-9 level), you must meet the basic requirements listed above and have one year of specialized experience equivalent to the next lower grade (GS-7 level) or band II. Examples of qualifying experience include specialized work experience analyzing and auditing survey reports containing complex accounting and related economic data; and identifying data discrepancies and irregularities.
2 years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to a master's degree or master's or equivalent graduate degree.
Band III (GS-11)
To qualify for the band III (GS-11 level), you must meet the basic requirements listed above and have one year of specialized experience equivalent to the next lower grade (GS-09 level) or band II. Examples of qualifying experience include analyzing and auditing survey reports containing complex accounting and related economic data; tracking and incorporating updates to existing financial accounting standards; identifying data discrepancies and irregularities; preparing, analyzing, interpreting, and presenting accounting data; and designing, implementing, and assessing internal control processes and systems.
3 years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to a Ph.D. degree or Ph.D. or equivalent doctoral degree.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional, philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
The following links provide information on various hiring authorities that may enable you to apply through merit assignment procedures, or be eligible for a non-competitive appointment.
The Department of Commerce provides reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please notify the Human Resources Office. The decision on granting reasonable accommodation will be on a case-by-case basis. TTY users can contact the Human Resources Office via the Federal Relay Service, 1-800-877-8339.Read more
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Your resume, optional cover letter and supporting documentation will be reviewed to determine if you meet the minimum qualifications for the position. If you meet the minimum qualifications stated in the job opportunity announcement, we will compare your resume, optional cover letter and supporting documentation to your responses on the scored occupational questionnaire (True/False, Yes/No, Multiple Choice questions) and place you in one of three pre-defined categories. These categories are "gold," "silver," and "bronze." Your resume and/or optional cover letter must support your responses to the scored occupational questionnaire, or your score may be lowered. Candidates placed in the "gold" category will be identified for referral to the hiring manager and may be invited for an interview.
How you will be evaluated for preference eligibility: Within each category, those entitled to veterans' preference will be listed at the top of the pre-defined category for which they are placed.
The scored occupational questionnaire will evaluate you on the following competencies; please do not provide a separate written response:
- Knowledge of U.S. Generally Accepted Accounting Principles and International Financial Reporting Standards.
- Knowledge of the preparation and analysis of financial statements.
- Ability to evaluate data quality and review data for presence of outliers.
- Ability to estimate data where data are incorrect or absent.
- Ability to build and maintain working relationships.
- Ability to communicate technical information orally and in writing.
- Knowledge of changes in U.S. Generally Accepted Accounting Principles and International Financial Reporting Standards.
For more information on category rating, please go to: http://www.hr.commerce.gov/s/groups/public/@doc/@cfoasa/@ohrm/documents/content/prod01_009474.pdf
We recommend that you preview the online questions for this announcement before you start the application process.
To preview questions please click here. Read more Security clearance Not Required Drug test required No