Astronomer (Program Director)
Relocation expenses reimbursed Yes Relocation MAY be paid contingent upon the availability of funds.
You will need to successfully complete a background security investigation before you can be appointed into this position.
All online applicants must provide a valid email address. If your email address is inaccurate or your mailbox is full or blocked, you may not receive important communications that could affect your consideration for this position.
This position is in the bargaining unit.
Please preview "Evaluations" section and "Qualifications" for additional requirements and Quality Ranking Factors.
Candidates must have a Ph.D. in astronomy, astrophysics, physics, engineering, solar physics, computer science, or a closely related field, plus, after award of the Ph.D., six or more years of successful research, research administration, and/or managerial experience pertinent to the position.
This position is outside the competitive civil service.
You must meet eligibility and qualification requirements by the closing date of the announcement.
Relocation expenses MAY be paid contingent upon the availability of funds
This announcement is open to (All US Citizens OR current NSF employees) who meet citizenship and eligibility requirements.
Federal Appropriations Law requires that Non-Citizens meet certain eligibility criteria to be considered. Therefore, Non-Citizens must certify eligibility by signing and attaching this Citizenship Affidavit to their application. Non-citizens who do not provide the affidavit at the time of application will not be considered.
This announcement may be used to fill like positions in other organizations within the National Science Foundation.
NSF has determined that all of its positions are eligible for telework. Work suitable for telework depends on job duties; therefore, employees must receive approval from their supervisor for telework and have a telework agreement in place. Entering into a telework agreement is voluntary.
The Selected Candidate(s) may be subject to a background investigation.
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
You will be evaluated on the extent and quality of your experience, expertise, education, and research activities relevant to the duties of the position. In some cases, additional assessment processes may also be used.
We strongly encourage you to specifically address the Quality Ranking Factors below. This will ensure that you receive full consideration in the evaluation process.
Quality Ranking Factors
- Knowledge and understanding of scientific principles and theories applicable to astronomy, astrophysics, and physics which have resulted in recognized status in the community of scientists.
- Excellent written and spoken communication skills, including the ability to communicate effectively and work productively with the scientific community, peers, and co-workers at all levels to advocate program policies and plans and to fulfill NSF’s mission.
- Knowledge of management and organizational concepts, principles, practices and techniques with expertise in applying this knowledge in science program management, project/collaboration management, research administration, and/or management of multi-user scientific facilities.
- Knowledge of budgeting, planning, and project management related to facilities, preferably scientific research facilities,
- Knowledge of policy related to the management of facilities, and in particular, scientific research facilities.
- Knowledge of the design, construction, operation, and the end states of large, complex, cutting-edge, multi-user facilities, and scientific research facilities in particular.
To preview questions please click here. Read more Security clearance Other Drug test required No