The bus attendant is responsible for the safety, comfort, and well-being of students with special needs during transport to and from school. The bus attendant follows specific instructions and procedures, enforces safety rules, and refers nonstandard situations to a supervisor.* Provides physical assistance to students as they board and leave the bus and while in-route.
* Places wheelchairs in position as required; lifts, folds, unfolds, and places wheelchairs when necessary.
* Secures students in seats and assists students using adaptive devices.
* Performs daily pre-trip safety inspection of all seats, restraint systems, and safety equipment prior to the
bus leaving the parking area.
* Performs basic first aid and CPR procedures as required.
* Maintains a clean, safe environment in side of the bus.
* Assists the bus driver in completing reports when necessary.
* Assists substitute bus drivers with route information and performs related work as directed.
* Demonstrates the ability to communicate effectively with students, staff, and parents; carry out written
and oral instructions
* Works well with students with physical challenges
* Ability to manage students in case of an emergency evacuation
* Proficient level of verbal fluency in English is required.
* National Safety Council First Aid and CPR Certifications (provided during training).
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to
successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit for prolonged periods of
time; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects or tools; and reach with hands and arms. The employee is
regularly required to see, talk, and hear; to climb stairs and ladders; to bend, kneel, crouch, and crawl; to
hold, grasp, and turn objects; to use fingers to operate computer keyboards; and to feel shapes, size, and
temperature of objects. The employee is regularly required to maneuver the aisle of bus with ease and may
be required to lift up to approximately 50 pounds.
The Bus Driver reports to the Lead Bus Driver.