Information Technology Specialist 2
Job Category : Classified Staff
Working hours :
Salary : Commensurate with education and experience.
Web Announcement :
Computer Systems Engineer
George Mason University, Information Technology Services (ITS) - located on the Fairfax, Va., campusâ€”invites applications for a Computer Systems Engineer position within the Enterprise Infrastructure Services, Cloud, Compute and Storage Engineering team. George Mason University has a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its faculty and staff, and strongly encourages candidates to apply who will enrich Masonâ€™s academic and culturally inclusive environment.
- Subject matter expert in compute, storage, system virtualization, and cloud technologies
- Key member of the technical team responsible for enterprise system engineering
- The teamâ€™s primary focus is building and deploying new solutions for internal customers from the universityâ€™s enterprise technology portfolio
- As a secondary function, the team also provides higher tier incident response in support of IT operations
- Bachelorâ€™s degree in a technical discipline or equivalent combination of education and experience;
- Ability to quickly understand systems, services, applications and technologies in the universityâ€™s enterprise technology portfolio and use them to build solutions for enterprise customers;
- Familiarity with the Linux operating system including the ability to perform basic system administration tasks;
- Familiarity with fundamental network technologies and concepts;
- Familiarity with scripting and/or programming;
- Ability to work cooperatively and enthusiastically with a diverse team of people;
- Ability to diagnose and resolve system problems;
- Novice programming, scripting, or other system automation experience; and
- Must be:
- A citizen of the United States, or
- A person who is a lawful permanent resident of the United States (a Green Card holder), or
- A person who formally has been granted asylum by the United States (a protected individual as defined by US law), or
- A person whose permanent address is in the United States and who is not a national (including dual-national) of any country which is subject to a US arms embargo. See the list of countries: https://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/retrieveECFR?gp=&SID=70e390c181ea17f847fa696c47e3140a&mc=true&r=PART&n=pt22.1.126#se22.1.126_11/ Preferred Qualifications:
- Working knowledge of system performance testing methods and tools including the execution of industry standard benchmarks such as LINPACK, fio, Iozone, STREAM, etc.;
- Working knowledge of high-performance computing cluster technologies, both hardware and software, such as high-speed interconnects like InfiniBand and parallel programming using message passing interface (MPI);
- Red Hat or other Linux System Administration Certifications;
- Other System/Network Administration or Design Certifications;
- Advanced Degree in a technical discipline;
- Experience providing customer technical support;
- Significant experience in a systems administration/engineering role, providing support in a multi-user enterprise environment;
- Experience leading an information technology implementation project;
- Experience providing technical consulting services to internal or external customers; and
- Experience building scripts or programs to automate system/network maintenance and monitoring tasks.
Salary is commensurate with education and experience.
George Mason University is a great place to work where employees are given an opportunity to develop skills and expand horizons. We have tuition waivers; telecommuting (typically one day a week) and flextime schedules; facilities that will meet your physical fitness needs; and the campus environment is dynamic and ethnically and culturally diverse.
Special Instructions : For full consideration, applicants must apply for position 02856z at https://jobs.gmu.edu; complete and submit the online application; and upload a cover letter, resume, and a list of three (3) professional references. References must include name, email address and phone number.
MasonAd : Great Careers Begin at Mason!
George Mason University is an innovative, entrepreneurial institution with national distinction in both academics and research. Mason holds a top U.S. News and World Report Up and Coming spot for national universities and is recognized for its global appeal and excellence in higher education.
Mason is currently the largest and most diverse university in Virginia with students and faculty from all 50 states and over 135 countries studying in over 200 degree programs at campuses in Arlington, Fairfax and Prince William, as well as at learning locations across the commonwealth. Rooted in Masons diversity is a campus culture that is both rewarding and exciting, work that is meaningful, and opportunities to both collaborate and create.
If you are interested in joining the Mason family take a look at our current opportunities and catch some Mason spirit at jobs.gmu.edu/!
George Mason University, Where Innovation is Tradition.
Equity Statement : George Mason University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, committed to promoting inclusion and equity in its community. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability or veteran status, or any characteristic protected by law.
Job Close Date : 2019-04-04