Business Executives for National Security is a nonpartisan, nonprofit organization of senior business and industry executives who volunteer time and energy to share best practices from their corporate experience with military and government leaders across the national security enterprise. Our members have one goal: to make our country safer by assisting those leaders in identifying, developing, and applying solutions to business challenges confronting their commands and organizations. Founded in 1982, BENS has offices in New York, Washington D.C., Silicon Valley, Chicago, Atlanta, Dallas, and Boston.
The Controller directs and manages the financial, administrative, and legal affairs of the organization in support of the Board of Directors and Management. The Controller reports to the CEO and COO. Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Create and maintain an Accounting System with an appropriate Chart of Accounts and financial controls.
- Develop, prepare and distribute appropriate and timely financial reports for Management, the Audit Committee, and the Board of Directors including the weekly Financial Update and the Monthly Variance Analysis.
- Contract for and manage annual audit and preparation of annual audited financial statements and filing of tax returns.
- Prepare annual budget for Management, Audit Committee and Board of Directors approval and monitor performance.
- Schedule, prepare for and conduct regular periodic conference calls with the Audit Committee including CEO Expense Reviews, Quarterly Investment Performance Reviews and Financial Status.
- Initiate and maintain filings with appropriate state and federal agencies relating to 501(c)(3), sales and other tax matters.
- Manage bank/investment firm relationships (Bank of America Merrill Lynch and Merrill Lynch) including annual reports, resolutions, VISA accounts, checking investment accounts, signature cards, online banking, wire transfer and ACH bill payment.
- Solicit quotes for and procure all employee benefit programs, including life, health, disability, long term care, dental and vision plans; perform as Plan Administrator for each plan in conjunction with Marcum, LLP, BENS’ HR Consulting partner.
- Perform as Plan Administrator of BENS 401(k) Profit Sharing Plan, including preparation and submission of annual IRS reports.
- Perform as Paymaster and program, administer and maintain ADP payroll system in conjunction with Marcum, LLP.
- Perform as In-House Legal Counsel. Review all contracts, leases and other legal documents. Create and maintain legal and contract files. Principal liaison with outside counsel.
- In conjunction with outside counsel and the Secretary of BENS, file and maintain all necessary state charitable registration filings.
- Perform as Treasurer. Review and monitor all BENS receipts, invoices, expense reports and checks. Manage cash disbursements consistent with collections. Manage investments in accordance with organization objectives.
- Supervise the accounting staff.
- Perform as Human Resources Director including updating and maintaining Employment Manual and ADP databases in conjunction with Marcum, LLP.
- Program and maintain ADP Time Card System in conjunction with Marcum, LLP. Generate management and accounting reports, including Vacation Accruals.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance, and at least eight (8) years of accounting experience, preferably in nonprofits; three (3) years supervisory experience.
- Experience with IRS Form 990 reporting.
- Demonstrated knowledge and skills in generally accepted accounting procedures (GAAP).
- Intermediate to advance computer skills, including a strong proficiency in Microsoft Excel and competency and experience with accounting software.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience with preparing and planning for financial audits.
- Must be a team player, but also confident working on own. A self-starter with the ability to work independently with minimal supervision and a demonstrated ability to meet deadlines.
- Strong interpersonal, communication, and organizational skills required.
- Strong quantitative skills and attention to detail.