Air Conditioning Equipment Mechanic
Relocation expenses reimbursed No
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
There is no specific length of training or experience required. However, you must be able to demonstrate, through experience shown in your written application materials that you possess the sufficient knowledge, skills, and abilities to successfully perform the work of this position without more than normal supervision.
To meet the basic eligibility, you must receive at least two points on the screen-out element indicated above and must have an average of two points on all the job elements listed below. Your application will be further evaluated to determine if you meet the best qualified cut-off for referral to the selecting official.
Minimum Qualifications (Screen Out Element): Ability to do the work of a(n) Air Conditioning Equipment Mechanic~ without more than normal supervision. - Failure to meet this Screen out Element will result in an ineligible rating.
- Ability To Do The Work Of The Position Without More Than Normal Supervision (Screen-out Element)
- Ability to Interpret Instructions, Specification, etc. (includes blueprint reading)
- Ability To Use and Maintain Tools and Equipment
- Knowledge of Equipment Assembly, Installation, Repair, etc.
- Knowledge of Materials
- Technical Practices (theoretical, precise, artistic)
- Trouble shooting
- Physical Effort: Considerable physical effort is expended to maneuver large equipment into and out of specific locations while dismantling and reassembling. Frequently carries and sets up parts and equipment that weighs up to 50 pounds. Hoists, holders and pulleys are operated when removing units such as large compressors, condensers and chillers. Necessary repairs and installations may be made from ladders, scaffolding and platforms where the parts of systems worked on are frequently in hard-to-reach places requiring stooping, stretching, bending and kneeling for extended periods of time.
- Working Conditions: Most of the work is performed inside a dry, heated area. There are hazards from electrical shock and burns, injury to the eyes and lungs from refrigerant gases and cuts and bruises from hand and power tools. There is a danger of hearing impairment because of the high noise level of operating equipment. Is subject to extreme temperature and high humidity when working in air intake and exhaust chambers and around operating equipment. There is considerable kneeling and stooping and working in close and cramped quarters and almost inaccessible areas.
This position requires the incumbent to possess and to then maintain the following Chlorofluorocarbon Refrigerant Compound (CFC) Universal License Refrigerant Transition and Recovery Certification. (NOTE: to be considered, you must upload and attach the certifications to your application package).
This job does not have an education qualification requirement.
- You MUST submit a copy of your license or certification with your application package or you will be rated ineligible
- Male applicants born after December 31, 1959, must complete a Pre-Employment Certification Statement for Selective Service Registration.
- You will be required to provide proof of U.S. Citizenship.
- Two year trial/probationary period may be required.
- Direct Deposit of Pay is required.
- Selection is subject to restrictions resulting from Department of Defense referral system for displaced employees.
- If you have retired from federal service and you are interested in employment as a reemployed annuitant, see the information in the Reemployed Annuitant information sheet.
- This is a Career Program (CP) 18 - Engineers and Scientist position.
- You may claim military spouse preference.
- Multiple positions may be filled from this announcement.
- Salary includes applicable locality pay or Local Market Supplement.
- Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP). If you are a Federal employee in the competitive service and your agency has notified you in writing that you are a displaced employee eligible for ICTAP consideration, you may receive selection priority for this position. To receive selection priority, you must: (1) meet ICTAP eligibility criteria (2) be rated well-qualified for the position and; (3) submit the appropriate documentation to support your ICTAP eligibility. To be considered well-qualified and receive selection priority applicants must satisfy all qualification requirements for the position and receive a score of 90 or above. Additional information about the program is on OPM's Career Transition Resources website.
- If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application.
- Payment of Permanent Change of Station (PCS) costs is not authorized, based on a determination that a PCS move is not in the Government interest.
- Recruitment or Relocation Incentive may be authorized
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Once the announcement has closed, a review of your application package (resume, supporting documents, and responses to the questionnaire) will be used to determine whether you meet the qualification requirements listed on this announcement. If you are minimally qualified, your résumé and supporting documentation will be compared against your responses to the assessment questionnaire to determine your level of experience. If, after reviewing your résumé and/or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications and/or experience, you may lose consideration for this position. Please follow all instructions carefully when applying, errors or omissions may affect your eligibility.
You should list any relevant performance appraisals and incentive awards in your resume as that information may be taken into consideration during the selection process. If selected, you may be required to provide supporting documentation.
Basis for Rating: Qualified candidates will be assigned to one of three quality categories: Best Qualified, Highly Qualified and Qualified. Veteran preference eligibles are listed ahead of non-preference eligibles within each quality category.
- Best Qualified. Candidates in this category possess exceptional skills and experience to exceed well above the minimum requirements for the announced position.
- Highly Qualified. Candidates in this category possess good skills and experience above the minimum requirements for the announced position.
- Qualified. Candidates in this category meet the minimum experience requirements for the announced position.