Human Resources Assistant
Occasional travel - Occasional travel maybe required to attend job related training, events, and/or conferences.
Relocation expenses reimbursed No
If selected, you must meet the following conditions:
- Receive authorization from OPM on any job offer you receive, if you are or were (within the last 5 years) a political Schedule A, Schedule C or Non-Career SES employee in the Executive Branch.
- Serve a one year probationary period, if required.
- Undergo and pass a background investigation (Tier 4 investigation level).
- Have your identity and work status eligibility verified if you are not a GSA employee. We will use the Department of Homeland Security’s e-Verify system for this. Any discrepancies must be resolved as a condition of continued employment.
For each job on your resume, provide:
- the exact dates you held each job (from month/year to month/year)
- number of hours per week you worked (if part time).
If you have volunteered your service through a National Service program (e.g., Peace Corps, Americorps), we encourage you to apply and include this experience on your resume.
For a brief video on creating a Federal resume, click here.
The GS-07 salary range starts at $45,972.00 per year.
The GS-08 salary range starts at $50,912.00 per year.
If you are a new federal employee, your starting salary will likely be set at the Step 1 of the grade for which you are selected.
To qualify at the GS-07, you must have at least one year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-06 level or higher in the Federal service.
Specialized experience is experience gained in an administrative support or Human Resources support position and involved experience in two or more of the following areas:
- coding and processing personnel actions,
-reviewing employment forms/documents for accuracy,
-providing orientation to new employees, and
-interpreting HR regulations and policies to provide guidance to customers regarding routine human resources program topics such as benefits.
To qualify at the GS-08, you must have at least one year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-07 level or higher in the Federal service. Specialized experience is experience that included: processing personnel data into an automated pay system; providing technical advice and guidance to employees and supervisors on various HR practices and processes; researching HR policies, procedures, and operations to perform a variety of HR support tasks; resolving personnel issues relating to pay, salary increases, on-board dates, and accuracy of data.
Note: If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education. For further information, visit: https://www2.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ous/international/usnei/us/edlite-visitus-forrecog.html
Bargaining Unit status: Not Applicable
Relocation-related expenses are not approved and will be your responsibility.
Travel expenses associated with interviews may be approved. Determinations will be made on a case-by-case basis.
On a case-by-case basis, the following incentives may be approved:
· Recruitment incentive if you are new to the federal government
· Relocation incentive if you are a current federal employee
· Credit toward vacation leave if you are new to the federal governmentRead more
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
You will be evaluated on the questions you answer during the application process, which will measure your overall possession of the following competencies or knowledge, skills, and abilities. Your responses to these questions must be supported by your resume or your score may be lowered.
- Knowledge of recruitment and placement principles, and an understanding of occupational characteristics to develop vacancy announcements, and to analyze/evaluate qualifications that relate to the duties of the position.
- Knowledge of, and skill in applying, HR rules, procedures, practices and operations sufficient to perform a wide variety of HR actions, special appointments and programs such as excepted service appointments and various Pathways Programs.
- Knowledge of coding procedures in order to enter and correct errors in an automated personnel data system for the production of final personnel actions and follow-up reports for various suspense dates.
- Knowledge of commonly used forms related to personnel staffing.
- Skill in performing time management in order to analyze workloads, establish priorities, and perform quality work in an environment with tight or conflicting time schedules.
- Skill in communication, both oral and written, to provide instruction and advice on important HR issues to staff at all levels within the organization.
- Knowledge of personnel processing language, procedures, and options available to process actions for employees in a variety of competitive and excepted appointments.
- Possess the ability to perform Security and Suitability processes in order to complete the full range of the credentialing process for new hires; the security clearance upgrade process for current employees; and the re-investigation process.
Additional assessments may be used, and, if so, you will be provided with further instructions.
If you are eligible under Interagency Career Transition Assistance Plan or GSA’s Career Transition Assistance Plan(ICTAP/CTAP), you must receive a score of 85 or higher to receive priority.
To preview questions please click here. Read more Security clearance Other Drug test required No