Classroom Manager/Multi-Media & Event Specialist
Classroom Manager/Multi-Media & Event Specialist
This position directly supports the teaching needs of Georgetown University faculty by ensuring that all technology, instructional materials, and classroom services are available for teaching and academic programs in General Purpose Classrooms (GPCs) administered by the Office of the University Registrar (OUR) on the Main Campus of Georgetown University. The Classroom Manager (CM) ensures each GPC in his or her assigned zone is conducive to teaching and learning within a designated region of the Main Campus, to assure that faculty teaching and students' learning needs are met in a timely, continuous and proficient fashion. Provides equipment and supplies, coordinates the services of CETS student assistants, and sets-up the more complicated technology requests and frequently coordinates the media and software needed for instruction. Maintains inventories of equipment, peripherals and supplies in each GPC. The incumbent diagnoses, troubleshoots, repairs and maintains a preventative maintenance schedule on all equipment, peripherals and software in the classrooms. The position provides desktop support for all CETS computers in classrooms and interactive computer classrooms, and best-efforts support of all user BYOD connected to installed technology systems. The CM identifies each faculty member using a GPC, ascertains the needs of that instructor, trains him or her in the operation of installed base technology, and monitors class activity to ensure problem free instruction. The CM monitors classroom infrastructure, as well as the supply of chalk, white board markers, and erasers in the classrooms, including the condition of any aspect of those spaces. The position ensures that the designated chair count and ADA table are maintained within each GPC. The position performs other duties as necessary, including serving patrons in the ICC 121 office of CETS, occasional support of GPCs in other areas of the Main Campus, and participation in University meetings and departmental planning.
Under general supervision, the position:
- Directly supports the teaching, learning and research needs of the faculty, students, and staff in the classroom setting by monitoring and maintaining technology and delivering media to enhance teaching pedagogy.
- Ensures that technology is properly delivered to and set up for over 25,000 classes yearly.
- Confers with faculty, students, staff and administrators to ensure that the proper GPCs are selected for course assignments, and that the proper teaching tools and technology are selected to support the pedagogy of instruction and the use of GPCs for academic and extracurricular functions.
- Consults with CETS staff and other service providers to ensure that faculty, students, staff and administrators are given access to the resources needed to enhance teaching, learning and research at Georgetown. This will include approximately 2000 contacts or in-depth questions posed yearly by patrons or staff.
- Works closely with staff in CNDLS as a partner to assist faculty to integrate new technology and resources into the teaching, learning and research environments.
- Liaises with Library departments, notably the GNMC, to ensure that faculty, students and staff have timely access to titles purchased and production capabilities needed to produce presentations for the classroom.
- Interacts with other technology service providers such as MSBTC and LLTC to make classroom technology and media resources seamless for the user.
- Coordinates with the Network Administrator/Classroom Computer Coordinator (NA/CCC) to ensure that classroom computer images and automatic updates are free from operating defects, are deployed properly on CETS classroom computers, and serve the needs of 500+ faculty using those computers.
- Trains and instructs faculty, students, staff and administrators in the effective use of computer and audio-visual technology, electronic resources, lecture capture, PRS devices and web-conference services in the classrooms.
- Ensures each GPC in the zone is conducive to teaching and learning. Monitors classroom infrastructure - temperature, lighting, electricity, furniture, window treatments, chairs, trash-removal, adequate supplies of chalk, markers, erases, batteries for wireless microphones, and other teaching accessories, and reports issues to the Executive Director, and/or GU Facilities.
- Elicits faculty feedback and reports satisfaction/problems to the CETS Executive Director.
- Assists the Executive Director, Associate Directors and selected faculty in planning for classroom renovations and in the selection of technology to be added to existing classrooms, auditoria and seminar rooms.
- Bachelor's degree.
- Familiarity with audio-visual and computer equipment in an academic institution or technology service provider's environment.
- Familiarity with the role of technology service on college campus fulfilling presentation needs.
- The position must understand teaching pedagogy and the importance of technology in the modern classroom.
- Ability to troubleshoot computer software and access networks
- Expertise with Windows 10, Windows 8 & 8.1, and Windows 7 operating systems, Mobile Operating Systems, Android, and IOS X, 8, 7
- Familiarity with Mac operating systems and applications; web page authoring/editing software; database software, spreadsheet software; word processing; presentation software and electronic information resources in an academic setting
- Must be able to operate all types of audio-visual equipment and computers and possess the ability to troubleshoot problems in person and over two-way radio or other communication devices
- Experience with online catalogs, Internet resources and navigation tools, and audio and video production
- Ability to learn new hardware systems and software applications
- Must have excellent oral and written communication skills; ability to write clearly and concisely; strong interpersonal and customer-service skills; strong work ethic; attention to details; ability to multi-task and ability to work under pressure in a complex, changing environment
- Bachelor's degree in educational technology or related field
- One year supervisory experience
Current Georgetown Employees:
If you currently work at Georgetown University, please exit this website and login to GMS (gms.georgetown.edu) using your Net ID and password. Then select the Career worklet on your GMS Home dashboard to view Jobs at Georgetown.
Please note that in order to be considered an applicant for any position at Georgetown University you must submit a cover letter and resume for each position of interest for which you believe you are qualified. These documents are not kept on file for future positions.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability and need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please click here for more information, or contact the Office of Institutional Diversity, Equity, and Affirmative Action (IDEAA) at 202-687-4798 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Need some assistance with the application process? Please call 202-687-2500. For more information about the suite of benefits, professional development and community involvement opportunities that make up Georgetown's commitment to its employees, please visit the Georgetown Works website.
Georgetown University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer fully dedicated to achieving a diverse faculty and staff. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, and sexual orientation), disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.