Anticipated Director, Equity
The Director of Equity leads cross-departmental efforts to promote and sustain educational equity and
inclusiveness. The Director of Equity collaborates with Assistant Superintendents, other division-level staff
members, school-level staff members, and external stakeholders to facilitate the development, implementation,
and refinement of a comprehensive educational equity strategy.
equity and inclusiveness, including efforts relating to achievement gaps, discipline disproportionality, the
lack of a diversified teacher workforce, and participation by students from underrepresented groups in
deeper learning experiences, including advanced programs and courses and gifted education.
* Collaborates with Assistant Superintendents, other division-level staff members, school-level staff
members, and external stakeholders to facilitate the development, implementation, and refinement of an
action-oriented, multi-year, comprehensive educational equity strategy that includes measurable goals.
* Expands the capacity of LCPS as it relates to equity and inclusiveness by serving as a resource for others
on these matters and by collaboratively supporting efforts to provide professional learning pertaining to
equity and inclusiveness, including culturally responsive instruction, school climates, as well as equitable
hiring and promotion.
* Provides leadership in leveraging community partnerships, including serving as the staff liaison with the
Minority Student Achievement Advisory Committee and as a designee for other internal or external
groups, as designated by the Superintendent.
* Sets forth recommendations regarding the use, reallocation of and request for financial and human
resources across the division in support of equity and inclusiveness and based on the analysis of the
current usage of resources.
* Reviews and facilitates the development of recommended changes to School Board policy and staff
regulations related to aligning policy and regulation with the Division's comprehensive equity strategy.
* Seeks advice from Division Counsel regarding legal and regulatory requirements as needed to inform
efforts to promote and sustain educational equity and inclusiveness.
* Responds to questions from schools, administrators, and citizens about programs and services, directing
inquiries to appropriate individuals and processes.
* Attends School Board meetings and prepares reports for the School Board as the Superintendent may
request; performs related work as required and all other duties as directed by the Superintendent.
* Holds a master's degree in education, school administration, or related field; Doctorate preferred.
* Preferably holds or is eligible for the Virginia Postgraduate Professional License with an endorsement in
PK-12 administration and supervision.
* Demonstrated understanding of and commitment to educational equity, inclusion, and cultural
* Has strong knowledge of curriculum and instruction, pupil services, human resources and budgeting.
* Has extensive successful experience in teaching or related field and/or school administration.
* Has successful experience that demonstrates a high level of reliability, strong organizational skills,
attention to detail, and good judgement in professional matters.
* Has demonstrated the professional characteristics necessary for working effectively with diverse licensed
staff, administrative staff, classified staff, parents, and other community stakeholders.
The Director of Equity reports to the Chief of Staff, serves as a member of the Superintendent's Senior Staff, and
participates in Cabinet meetings.