Construction / Maintenance Project Manager I
Plans and directs capital renewal projects and non-capital renewal projects for one or more of the following fields: HVAC/Mechanical, Plumbing, Electrical, life safety, Conveying Systems, Building Envelope and/or, ADA compliance, as well as, site civil elements. Serves as a technical expert for commercial building HVAC system projects to include system or complex component replacement, as well as, Building Automation System integration. Primary responsibilities are to ensure the timely completions of projects and tasks assigned, consistent with quality standards of the Facilities Management Department and industry standards, as well as, ensuring projects are financially and operationally viable and completed in a cost-efficient manner. Responsible for projects and tasks from inception, design, award, construction and through warranty period. This position may supervise employees. Works under the guidance and general direction of an Engineer IV/Construction Project Manager II and/or Assistant Director of Design, Engineering and ConstructionRequired Knowledge Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of topographic and construction surveying;
- Knowledge of common methods and equipment used in building, maintenance and facility construction and of inspection methods used in reviewing such work;
- Knowledge of real property descriptions;
- Knowledge of the principles, practices and techniques relating to construction project management and contract administration;
- Ability to learn the Public Facilities Manual, the Virginia Uniform Statewide Building Code and the codes and ordinances which apply to building construction and land disturbing activities in Fairfax County;
- Ability to learn the Fairfax County Purchasing Resolution and agency-specific A/E contracting requirements;
- Ability to review construction documents and proposals for cost evaluation and compatibility with County standards, guides and operational needs;
- Ability to prepare technical reports and to present findings in a clear and concise format;
- Ability to communicate and interact effectively with the public, senior County officials and citizen groups;
- Ability to conduct and facilitate meetings with public groups, citizens and other project stakeholders;
- Ability to use a computer for word processing, preparation of spreadsheets, e-mail, and presentation materials.
Any combination of education, training and experience equivalent to graduation from a four-year college or university with a bachelor's degree in civil engineering, landscape architecture, environmental or life sciences, construction management, business administration, facilities management or related; plus four years of progressively responsible experience in the supervision or management of construction or maintenance projects, including at least two years of experience in contract administration.
Successful completion of the Project Manager Development Program and three years in the Assistant Project Manager Class.
CERTIFICATES AND LICENSES REQUIRED:
Valid driver's license.
NECESSARY SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:
The appointee to this position will be required to complete a criminal background and driving record check to the satisfaction of the employer.
This position is designated an "Essential Employee."
- Five or more years' demonstrated history as the Lead Project Manager directly responsible and accountable for the design and construction for the replacement of full commercial building HVAC systems in occupied buildings greater than 100,000 gross sq.ft. per building to include low rise and high rise (5 stories of more) buildings. Projects must include complex HVAC plant renewal projects with a project budget of over $1,000,000.
- Five or more years demonstrated history in the full performance responsibility for a portfolio of commercial building HVAC systems infrastructure replacement projects in occupied commercial facilities including but not limited to: development of design and construction contracts, review and approval of design drawings, authoring scope of work, monitor, report on and approve project commissioning and Testing and Balancing, financial oversight, submittal approval, RFI responses, construction quality, safety performance, oversight of quality metrics and quality performance, contractor selection and oversight, oversight of project documentation and project schedule, and risk mitigation.
Must be able to access facility equipment and equipment rooms. Must be able to communicate by phone. Must be mobile. Ability to climb ladders, access tight spaces, crawl, reach, lift 25 pounds, push 25 pounds, etc. Dexterity to use hand tools. Vision to see detail drawings, construction and discern color. All duties performed with or without reasonable accommodations.
Panel interview and may include written and plan review exercise.
It is the policy of Fairfax County Government to prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, sex, color, national origin, religion, age, veteran status, political affiliation, genetics, or disability in the recruitment, selection, and hiring of its workforce.
Reasonable accommodations are available to persons with disabilities during application and/or interview processes per the Americans with Disabilities Act. Contact 703-324-4900 for assistance. TTY 703-222-7314. EEO/AA/TTY.