Athletic Turf Technician (Pest Controller I)
Participates in the turf management for the athletic fields and associated areas. Loads, transports and operates tractors with various attachments (including aerators, seeders, sprayers and spreaders), utility vehicles with attached pesticide application equipment and other turf/grounds care equipment. Loads and applies turf care products including pesticides, fertilizers, various types of soil amendments, turfgrass seed and top dressing. Performs various maintenance practices on natural and artificial surfaces. Prepares application documentation and reports. Collects soil samples. Flags treated pesticide application areas and re-entry procedures. Performs safety inspections and prepares documentation: Inspects tools and equipment and reports deficiencies to supervisor. Maintains and repairs equipment. When required, performs other field, park and trail maintenance tasks on an as needed basis. Reports to 8116 Braddock Road, Annandale on a daily basis then is detailed to necessary parks.Illustrative Duties
- Inspects turf for signs of insects, weeds or disease;
- Determines best method of treatment to prevent or rid turf of insects, weeds or diseases;
- Maintains records indicating location, type and date of treatment;
- Drives County trucks to sites to inspect turf on a scheduled basis;
- Applies fertilizer, amendments and cultural practices to establish maintain or improve existing turf;
- Maintains specialized equipment used in the process of performing turf maintenance;
- Maintain and utilize required and/or recommended Personal Protective Equipment (PPE).
- Knowledge of turf maintenance;
- Knowledge of insecticides and other pesticides and their toxicity;
- Knowledge of turf-based pests and their control;
- Ability to read and understand plans and specifications;
- Ability to maintain effective relationships with the public and employees;
- Ability to perform duties requiring manual dexterity;
- Knowledge of current regulations, standards and safety procedures.
Any combination of education, experience, and training equivalent to high school graduation or a GED issued by a state department of education; plus at least two years working in grounds maintenance maintaining athletic turf, identifying turf issues and applying accepted turf remedies.
CERTIFICATES AND LICENSES REQUIRED:
- Valid driver's License
- CDL - Class A (VA) (Required within 6 months)
- Pesticide Applicator (VA) (Required within 6 months)
- Fertilizer Application - Turf (VA) (Required within 6 months)
The appointee to this position will be required to complete a criminal background check, a check of the Child Protective Services Registry, a driving record check, and a medical examination to the satisfaction the of employer.
Experience calibrating and applying pesticides and fertilizers with various types of equipment; Experience hauling and transporting equipment; Knowledge of and experience performing turf renovations using a variety of equipment and attachments; Knowledge of turf maintenance for natural and artificial surfaces; General knowledge of Fairfax County park locations; Experience using Microsoft Word and Excel software.
Ability to operate commercial vehicles and ground care equipment. Ability to lift 30-50 pounds, unassisted. Ability to wear negative pressure respirator while performing moderately strenuous tasks. Ability to work during inclement weather conditions, and traverse uneven terrain. All duties performed with or without reasonable accommodations.
Panel interview and may include exercise.
It is the policy of Fairfax County Government to prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, sex, color, national origin, religion, age, veteran status, political affiliation, genetics, or disability in the recruitment, selection, and hiring of its workforce.
Reasonable accommodations are available to persons with disabilities during application and/or interview processes per the Americans with Disabilities Act. Contact 703-324-4900 for assistance. TTY 703-222-7314. EEO/AA/TTY.