Chief of Staff
The Chief of Staff serves as a key strategic advisor to the Superintendent and other members of the
Superintendent's Cabinet. The Chief of Staff provides effective and responsive communications, timely
problem solving, and leadership relating to innovative approaches to fulfilling the division's Strategic Plan. The
Chief of Staff supervises the Director of Equity.
solving, as well as long-term strategic planning; Organizes and completes special projects
* Models and facilitates the development of strong relationships between members of the Superintendent's
Cabinet and school board members; Initiates timely, collaborative communication between members of the
Superintendent's Cabinet and the school board; Promotes a climate of mutual respect, trust, and
professionalism in interactions among school board members and staff members
* Provides leadership in effective school board governance, including promoting collaborative relationships
among staff members and board members, organizing governance professional learning, creating and
revising processes relating to school board aides, and overseeing the development of agendas and
supporting documentation for board meetings
* Facilitates the ongoing creation, review and revision of division policies and procedures that define
organizational expectations and effectively communicate the expectations to stakeholders
* Assists with the coordination of the daily work of the Director of Communications and Community
Engagement, including work relating to the design, execution, and annual updating of a division-wide
comprehensive communication plan that aligns with the school division's strategic plan and fosters dialogue,
collaboration, understanding, and trust; Leads the enhancement of division wide capacity for handling public
* Supervises the Director of Equity, including work to lead cross-departmental efforts to promote and sustain
educational equity and inclusiveness
* Collaborates with a wide variety of internal and external stakeholders, including elected officials and county
government staff members; Represents the Superintendent at select community-, division-, and school
events and meetings
* Oversees the operations of the Office of the Superintendent, including communication matters
* Attends board meetings and prepares reports for the school board as the Superintendent may request;
performs related work as required and all other duties as directed by the Superintendent.
* Holds a master's degree in education, school administration, or related field; Doctorate preferred.
* Preferably holds or is eligible for the Virginia Postgraduate Professional License with an endorsement in PK-
12 administration and supervision.
* Has significant successful experience in education, including teaching and/or administrative experience, and
experience promoting equity in education.
* Has successful experience that demonstrates a high level of reliability, strong organizational skills, attention
to detail, and good judgement in professional matters.
* Has demonstrated the professional characteristics necessary for working effectively with licensed staff,
administrative staff, classified staff, parents, and other community stakeholders.
The Chief of Staff reports to the Division Superintendent and serves as a member of Senior Staff and the
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to
successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable
individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. This employee would operate in a professional
office environment and maintain a work schedule to meet the demands of executive management. This role
routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, scanners and filing
cabinets. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to see, talk and hear. This
is largely a sedentary role; however, the employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, and stoop, kneel,
crouch or bend and may be required to lift up to approximately 25 pounds.