Assistant Inspector General-Forward Operations
Occasional travel - You will be expected to travel for this position. Oversees travel to Afghanistan is required.
Relocation expenses reimbursed No
Who May Apply: US Citizens
In order to qualify, you must meet the experience requirements described below. Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience. Your resume must clearly describe your relevant experience; if qualifying based on education, your transcripts will be required as part of your application. Additional information about transcripts is in this document.
To qualify based on your experience, your resume must describe you meet the specialized experience which prepared you to do the work in this job. Specialized experience is defined as: interacting with senior U.S. civilian officials, military officials and Afghan government representatives; leadership and support to senior staff and contractors in Afghanistan; apply knowledge of policies, regulations, laws to ensure programs are supported and represented in accordance with the strategic vision of the Inspector General (IG).
- In-depth knowledge of the overall duties, responsibilities, and authorities of an Inspector General.
- Knowledge of the mission of the Special Inspector General for Afghanistan Reconstruction. Familiarity with U.S. reconstruction and international development efforts, foreign policy, and military engagement in Afghanistan is highly desired.
- In-depth familiarity with aspects of current DOD, DOS and USAID programs and operations in Afghanistan to include security, transportation, and logistics in a contingency operation environment.
- Detailed knowledge of Afghanistan's recent culture and history, key personalities, political environment, security conditions, and other local factors that influence SIGAR's work is highly desired.
- Mastery of interpersonal relationship techniques to meet and deal effectively with others at all levels of authority in complex inter-agency and multi-cultural environments.
- Ability to develop long range plans and shorter-term action plans to meet staffing and mission support needs and goals.
- Ability to operate in a high stress war zone and a proven capacity to manage effectively under crisis conditions.
- Recent experience working in an IG office is highly desirable.
Some federal jobs allow you to substitute your education for the required experience in order to qualify. For this job, you must meet the qualification requirements using experience alone- no substitution of education for experience is permitted.
- Male applicants born after December 31, 1959, must complete a Pre-Employment Certification Statement for Selective Service Registration.
- You will be required to provide proof of U.S. Citizenship.
- Two year trial/probationary period may be required.
- Direct Deposit of Pay is required.
- This position requires you to submit a Public Financial Disclosure Report (OGE 278) or a Confidential Financial Disclosure Report (OGE450) upon entry, and annually thereafter.
- This position may be considered essential to the overall support of the SIGAR mission. If considered emergency essential, failure to meet emergency essential requirements may result in separation for the efficiency of the Federal Service (Ch. 75, Title 5 USC; FPM Ch 752.).
- Incumbent must complete a Form SF312, Classified Information Nondisclosure Agreement.
- Must be able to obtain and maintain a Top Secret security clearance. Incumbent is subject to random drug testing.
- Overseas travel is required. In support of this travel, the incumbent is required to meet minimum standards of fitness for deployment to the CENTCOM region to include the ability to wear personal protective equipment, including protective mask, ballistic helmet, body armor, and chemical/biological protective garments.
- Selection is subject to restrictions resulting from Department of Defense referral system for displaced employees.
- If you have retired from federal service and you are interested in employment as a reemployed annuitant, see the information in the Reemployed Annuitant information sheet.
- Salary includes applicable locality pay or Local Market Supplement.
- Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP). If you are a Federal employee in the competitive service and your agency has notified you in writing that you are a displaced employee eligible for ICTAP consideration, you may receive selection priority for this position. To receive selection priority, you must: (1) meet ICTAP eligibility criteria (2) be rated well-qualified for the position and; (3) submit the appropriate documentation to support your ICTAP eligibility. To be considered well-qualified and receive selection priority applicants must satisfy all qualification requirements for the position and receive a score of 90 or above. Additional information about the program is on OPM's Career Transition Resources website.
- If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application.
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Once the announcement has closed, a review of your application package (resume, supporting documents) will be used to determine whether you meet the qualification requirements listed on this announcement. If you are minimally qualified, your résumé and supporting documentation will be compared against your responses to the assessment questionnaire to determine your level of experience. If, after reviewing your résumé and/or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications and/or experience, you may lose consideration for this position. Please follow all instructions carefully when applying, errors or omissions may affect your eligibility.
You should list any relevant performance appraisals and incentive awards in your resume as that information may be taken into consideration during the selection process. If selected, you may be required to provide supporting documentation.