Deputy Assistant Secretary for Field Operations
Occasional travel - Work related travel may be required.
Relocation expenses reimbursed No
As a basic requirement, you must have progressively responsible executive leadership and supervisory experience that is indicative of senior executive level managerial capability. This experience should be sufficiently broad in scope and at a major management level in a large or complex organization. Experience must have been at a sufficiently high level of difficulty to clearly show that the candidate possesses the required professional, technical, and executive core qualifications set forth below. Your experience should demonstrate that you have the knowledge, skills and abilities to successfully fulfill responsibilities inherent in most SES positions. If your experience does not include these basic qualifications, you will not be determined to be qualified for this position.
YOU MUST FULLY ADDRESS EACH MTQ AND ECQ TO BE RATED FOR FURTHER CONSIDERATION.
Current or former career SES employees, or OPM/QRB Candidate Development Program (CDP) candidates are not required to address the ECQs, but MUST address the MTQs.
MANDATORY TECHNICAL QUALIFICATIONS (MTQs): In addition to the qualifying experience, applicants must possess the following technical qualifications that represent the knowledge, skills, and abilities essential to perform the duties and responsibilities of the position.
- Skill in managing operational activities in a complex organization responsible for delivering programs and developing and implementing broad strategies designed to achieve organizational goals and objectives.
- Ability to evaluate, manage and develop analyses and reports in support of national programs and operations activities pertaining to public and assisted housing programs, community and economic development or real estate-based operations.
EXECUTIVE CORE QUALIFICATIONS (ECQs):
Introduction: The ECQs were designed to assess executive experience and potential - not technical expertise. They measure whether an individual has the broad executive skills needed to succeed in a variety of SES positions - not whether they are the most superior candidates for a particular position. Examples of good qualifications statements and the use of the C-C-A-R model (Challenge/Context/Action/Results), the preferred method of writing your ECQs is provided in OPM's Guide to SES Qualifications: http://www.opm.gov/ses/recruitment/ecq.asp
Format: For each of the five ECQs, provide at least one example of your qualifications using the four C-C-A-R elements.
1. Challenge - Describe a specific problem or goal.
2. Context - Talk about the individuals and groups you worked with, and/or the environment in which you worked to tackle a particular challenge (e.g., clients, co-workers, members of Congress, shrinking budget, low morale).
3. Action - Discuss the specific actions you took to address a challenge.
4. Results - Give specific examples of the results of your actions.
These accomplishments demonstrate the quality and effectiveness of your leadership skills.
NOTE: Your responses to the five ECQs must describe the context and the results of your achievements in lay terminology, free of jargon and excessive reliance on acronyms.
ECQ 1 - LEADING CHANGE - This core qualification involves the ability to bring about strategic change, both within and outside the organization, to meet organizational goals. Inherent to this ECQ is the ability to establish an organizational vision and to implement it in a continuously changing environment. (Leadership Competencies: creativity and innovation, external awareness, flexibility, strategic thinking and vision).
ECQ 2 - LEADING PEOPLE - This core qualification involves the ability to lead people toward meeting the organization's vision, mission, and goals. Inherent to this ECQ is the ability to provide an inclusive workplace that fosters the development of others, facilitates cooperation and teamwork, and supports constructive resolution of conflicts. (Leadership Competencies: conflict management, leveraging diversity, developing others and team building).
ECQ 3 - RESULTS DRIVEN - This core qualification involves the ability to meet organizational goals and customer expectations. Inherent to this ECQ is the ability to make decisions that produce high-quality results by applying technical knowledge, analyzing problems, and calculating risks. (Leadership Competencies: accountability, customer service, decisiveness, entrepreneurship, problem solving and technical credibility).
ECQ 4 - BUSINESS ACUMEN - This core qualification involves the ability to manage human, financial, and information resources strategically. (Leadership competencies: financial management, human capital management and technology management).
ECQ 5 - BUILDING COALITIONS - This core qualification involves the ability to build coalitions internally and with other Federal agencies, State and Local governments, nonprofit and private-sector organizations, foreign governments, or international organizations to achieve common goals. (Leadership Competencies: partnering, political savvy and influencing/negotiating).
To be considered for this position, you MUST submit a written statement addressing each MTQ and ECQ. Failure to address both of the MTQs and ECQs, will adversely affect your chances for referral or selection.
Current, former career SES employees, or OPM/QRB Candidate Development Program (CDP) candidates are not required to address the ECQs, but MUST address the MTQs.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development strives to ensure that the public perceives HUD as a fair and equitable agency that administers its programs in an objective and impartial manner. As such, HUD is committed to its government ethics program, which advises employees on applicable ethics laws and regulations designed to protect the agency against real and apparent conflicts of interest. As a federal employee, you will be subject to the Standards of Ethical Conduct and the U.S. criminal conflict of interest statutes. As a HUD employee, you will also be subject to the HUD Supplemental Ethics Regulations which restrict the extent to which a HUD employee can engage in certain activities and hold certain investments. Depending on your position, you may also be required to file a public or confidential financial disclosure report. Upon your new appointment, you will receive guidance regarding your ethics obligations. You will also be required to attend a mandatory ethics training within 3 months of appointment.
HUD employees are prohibited under Section 7501.104, 5 Code of Federal Regulations from directly or indirectly owning, acquiring, or receiving:
- Federal Housing Authority debentures or certificate of claim;
- Financial interest in a project, including any single-family dwelling or unit subsidized by HUD, or which is subject to a note or mortgage insured by HUD;
- Section 8 subsidies to or on behalf of a tenant of property you, your spouse, or a dependent child owns.
- The employee, or the employee's spouse or minor child acquires, without specific intent as through inheritance, a property in which a tenant receiving such a subsidy already resides;
- The tenant receiving such a subsidy lived in the rental property before the employee worked for the Department;
- The tenant receiving such a subsidy is a parent, child, grandchild, or sibling of the employee;
- The employee's, or the employee's spouse or minor child's, rental property has an incumbent tenant who has not previously received such a subsidy and becomes the beneficiary thereof; or
- The location of the rental property is in a Presidentially declared emergency or natural disaster area and the employee receives prior written approval from an agency designee.
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Applicants will be evaluated against the Mandatory Technical Qualifications (MTQs) and Executive Core Qualifications (ECQs). As a supplement to your application, please provide examples of relevant experience, training, and personal achievements, which address each of the ECQs and MTQs. The examples should be clear and concise and show levels of accomplishment and degree of responsibility. FAILURE TO ADDRESS THE REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS WILL RESULT IN YOUR APPLICATION BEING DISQUALIFIED.
To preview questions please click here.