55+ COUNTYWIDE PROGRAM SPECIALIST
Arlington County's Department of Parks and Recreation is recruiting for a professional recreation programming and supervisory position working in the Office of Senior Adult Programs. This position will be responsible for the county wide 55+ Sports & Fitness Programs and Special Events for the Office of Senior Adult Programs (OSAP) and for the facilitation of a spectrum of fitness programming that addresses the continuum of senior adult functional capacities from fit to frail. The Program Specialist assesses the needs and trends for senior sports and fitness programs and then develops, plans, designs, implements and evaluates programs for the Arlington community. This position is also responsible for countywide special events sponsored by OSAP.
Specific duties include:
- Scheduling all fitness classes to include programing in the weight rooms and aquatic programs;
- Supervising 55+ Sports programs to include Golf, Pickleball, Tennis, Women's Basketball, Walking Clubs, Biking Group and Ice Skating;
- Recruiting, hiring, training and monitoring the work of part time staff and volunteers and coordinating the staff schedule and use of volunteers;
- Assessing the needs of potential and actual participants while contributing ideas and developing programs in concert with priorities and direction from OSAP and with divisional and departmental objectives;
- Administering the yearly 55+ sports and fitness survey; developing survey, distribution, compiling results, final report and implementing needed changes;
- Identifying and cultivating new participant leadership, planning and implementing activities with program participants, encouraging decision making and participant empowerment through advisory councils both in programming and in the day-to-day operations;
- Performing administrative duties to include quarterly reports, tracking participants attendance and volunteer hours;
- Monitoring allocated budget, documenting, and tracking expenditures to include managing contracts and purchase orders and maintaining/monitoring inventories for equipment and supplies, ordering equipment, arranging for resources, and reporting needed equipment repairs; and
- Collaborating with other Departments and organizations for program and special event implementation and publicity materials.
This ideal candidate will demonstrate effective leadership by following County and Senior Center professional standards of leadership: showing respect, responding with sensitivity to individuality, developing nurturing relationships, and building on individual strengths; creating an atmosphere where different perspectives, opinions and positions are welcomed, encouraged and fully explored. This employee must have strong communication, administrative and interpersonal skills along with technology proficiency. Selection Criteria
Minimum: Bachelor's Degree in Recreation, Sports Management, Health Science, Gerontology, Social Work, Therapeutic Recreation, Adult Education or a closely related field, plus two years' experience in administration or management of programs in a senior adult and/or recreation setting.
Substitution: Additional qualifying experience may substitute for the education requirement on a year-for-year basis
Desirable Experience: Preference may be given to candidates with one or more of the following:
- Planning and implementing recreation programs for individuals 55 and older in a community setting;
- Program planning of fitness/wellness classes and activities;
- Special event planning;
- Coordinating or supervising the work of others;
- Working with an ethnically diverse population; and/or
- Community organizing and developing community outreach/marketing strategies.
A pre-hire background check will be made on all candidates who are selected for employment. It may include checks of the following: criminal record, driving record, education, professional licensure, and credit history. You may be required to sign a release authorizing the County to obtain your background information.Additional Information
This is a 40 hour per week permanent position with benefits. Normal work hours are 8:00a.m. â€“ 4:30p.m, Monday-Friday. Some weekend and evening work will be required depending on programmatic needs. Employee must be able to travel to different locations.
The official title of this position is a PROGRAMMER II