Copy Editor (Part Time)
Do you want to make a difference in the fight against cancer? Come learn, grow and develop with us. ASTRO, the American Society for Radiation Oncology, is looking for an individual with a minimum of two to three years of copy-editing experience to review all print and online communications in order to ensure they are error free, easy to read and consistent with ASTRO style. The individual will also assist with writing various communication and marketing materials. This is a part-time position working 20 hours per week, with the opportunity to telecommute after 6 months of employment.
Job responsibilities include:
- ASTROnews and ASTRO Daily News:
- Proofread and edit ASTRO’s quarterly magazine and Annual Meeting daily paper. Fix grammatical, punctuation and spelling errors, check for accuracy as needed and offer suggestions for content edition.
- Assist with researching topics and contacting sources throughout the development of stories.
- ASTROgram and ASTRO Blog:
- Solicit stories for ASTRO’s weekly e-newsletter and blog.
- Proofread and edit stories.
- Write content as needed.
- Marketing and General Communication:
- Edit print and online communication and content distributed by ASTRO for style, grammar and content.
- Assist with writing and editing marketing copy as needed.
- Prepare insertion orders for advertising sold.
- Follow up with companies to ensure creative arrives in a timely manner.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Qualified candidates will have:
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communication or English.
- Two to three years of copy-editing experience.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Excellent editing and writing skills.
- Strong knowledge of AP style required.
- Proficient in MS Office and familiarity with Adobe InDesign preferred.
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to multi-task, prioritize, adhere to schedules and meet deadlines.
- Strong interpersonal skills, team player with ability to relate to all levels of individuals.
- Some travel may be required, less than 10 percent.
ASTRO offers a competitive salary and benefits package which includes:
- Flexible work arrangements, including the opportunity to telecommute after 6 months of employment
- 401K with immediate company contribution
- 23 days of Paid Time Off annually + 12 Paid Holidays
- Part-time employees are eligible to accrue PTO and receive holiday pay on a pro-rated basis.
- And more
Please see our website www.astro.org for more information about ASTRO.
To apply, submit cover letter and resume by clicking here.
We are an equal/affirmative action employer.