Pretrial Services Officer
7 days left
- Full Time
Relocation expenses reimbursed No
Must be a U.S. Citizen.
Males born after 12-31-59 must be registered for Selective Service.
Suitable for Federal employment, determined by a background investigation.
May be required to successfully complete a probationary period, if not already completed.
All applicants are subject to a comprehensive criminal background investigation, and required to submit to urinalysis to screen for illegal drug use prior to appointment.
All Federal employees are required to have Federal salary payments made by direct deposit to a financial institution of their choice.
Status applicants for promotion must have 52 weeks of service at the next lower grade. Time-in-grade requirements must be met by the close of this announcement.
Completion of a one-year probationary period is required, if not already completed.
A candidate appointed at a lower grade level may be promoted up to the full performance level without further competition.
Bargaining Unit Status: Covered
This is a law enforcement position.
HOURS: The incumbent of this position will be required to work in shifts or at unusual hours, including nights, weekends and holidays.
APPLICANTS MUST PROVIDE DATE OF BIRTH!!!
Maximum Entry Age: This position is covered under the special provisions for law enforcement retirement. By law, applicants for such law enforcement positions must be between 21 and 37 years old to be considered for initial appointment (that is, first appointment to a federal law enforcement position). The maximum age for entry on duty in a law enforcement covered position is the date immediately preceding the applicant's 37th birthday except for veterans' preference eligibles.
This position requires a four-year degree in behavioral or social science or other related disciplines appropriate to the position; OR a combination of education and experience that provides you with the knowledge of one or more of the behavioral or social sciences equivalent to a major in the field; OR four years of appropriate experience that demonstrates that you have knowledge of one or more of the behavioral or social sciences equivalent to a major in the field.
To qualify at the GL-5 level, you must possess the Basic Professional Requirement.
To qualify at the GL-7 level, you must meet the basic professional requirement, you must possess 1 year of specialized experience that equipped you with the skills needed to perform the job duties. This experience must have been equivalent to at least the GL-5 grade level.
Specialized experience for the GL-7 is defined as: working with individuals in a criminal justice environment, obtaining basic information and using basic computer applications.
Substitution of Education for Experience for GL-7: 1 year of graduate level education; OR Superior Academic Achievement (SAA). SAA is based on (1) class standing, (2) grade-point average, or (3) honor society membership.
1. 3.0 or higher out of a possible 4.0 ("B" or better) as recorded on the official transcript, or as computed based on 4 years of education, or as computed based on courses completed during the final 2 years of the curriculum; or
2. 3.5 or higher out of a possible 4.0 ("B+" or better) based on the average of the required courses completed in the major field or the required courses in the major field completed during the final 2 years of the curriculum; or
3. Election to membership in a national scholastic honor society.
To qualify at the GL-9 level, you must meet the basic professional requirement, you must possess 1 year of specialized experience that equipped you with the skills needed to perform the job duties. This experience must have been equivalent to at least the GL-7 grade level.
Specialized experience for the GL-9 is defined as: working with individuals in a criminal justice environment explaining procedures and obtaining information; interviewing, monitoring and evaluating clients; assessing clients and developing treatment plans; making recommendations in court; routine use of computer applications and/or law enforcement or comparable database systems.
Substitution of Education for Experience for GL-9: Master's or equivalent graduate degree; or 2 full years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to such a degree; or LL.B or J.D., if related.
NOTE: Your Resume must clearly show specialized experience related to this position. Failure to demonstrate how you possess the experience requirements will result in an "ineligible" rating.
Degree in behavioral or social science; or related disciplines appropriate to the position.
If you are claiming education as any part of your qualification for this position, you must submit an official transcript, unofficial transcript, or a list including courses, grades earned, completion dates, and quarter semester hours earned. If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet the qualification requirements, you must show that the education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education programs and such education has been deemed equivalent to that gained in an accredited U.S. education program. For further information, click on
Transcripts must be received on or before the closing date of this announcement.
1.If you are an eligible Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP) applicant, you may apply for special selection over other applicants for this position. Individuals who have special priority selection rights under the ICTAP must be well-qualified for the position. To be well qualified, applicants must satisfy all qualification requirements for the position and meet the well-qualified level (mid-level) of the crediting plan for all factors. ICTAP eligibles must submit one of the following as proof of eligibility for the special selection priority: a separation notice, SF-50, Notice of Personnel Action, documenting separation, an agency certification that you cannot be placed after injury compensation has been terminated, an OPM notification that your disability annuity has been terminated, OR a Military Department or National Guard Bureau notification that you are retired under 5 U.S.C. Section 833(h) or Section 8456.
2. If you are a current career or career-conditional Federal employee or former Federal employee who has reinstatement eligibility, you must submit a copy of your latest SF-50 "Notification of Personnel Action" and/or a copy of the SF-50 that reflects career or career-conditional tenure, or you will not be considered under the merit promotion process. Also, you should submit your most recent performance appraisal.
3. Veterans' Employment Opportunities Act of 1998: Veterans who are preference eligible or who have been separated from the armed forces under honorable conditions after 3 years or more of continuous active duty service may apply. If you are applying under this provision, please submit a copy of your DD-214 (unedited long version).
4. If you are a male applicant who was born after 12/31/59 and are required to register under the Military Selective Service Act, the Defense Authorization Act of 1986 requires that you be registered or you are not eligible for appointment in this agency.
5. You can apply for a non-competitive appointment if you meet the basic eligibility requirements and you are eligible for special appointment such as those authorized for the severely disabled; certain Vietnam era and disabled veterans; returned volunteers from the Peace Corps or Vista , etc. Please indicate the type of special appointment you are seeking, if any, on your application and follow all other instructions for applying shown in this announcement.
6. Reasonable Accommodation, this agency provides reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of this application and hiring process, please notify the agency. The decision on granting reasonable accommodation is made on a case-by-case basis.
7. All qualification requirements must be met by the closing date of this announcement. Additional information on the qualification requirements is outlined in the OPM Qualifications Standards Handbook of General Schedule Positions. It is available for your review in our office, in other Federal agency personnel offices, and on OPM's web site at http://www.opm.gov/qualifications.
8. Equal Opportunity Employer: The Pretrial Services Agency is an equal opportunity employer. Selection for this position will be based solely on merit without regard to race, color, religion, age, gender, national origin, political affiliation, disability, sexual orientation, marital or family status or other non-merit based factors.
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Your rating will be based on your responses to the job specific information provided in your resume. Your resume must clearly show how you possess the knowledge, skills, and abilities listed below. Failure to demonstrate how you possess the knowledge, skills, and abilities will result in a rating of "Qualified" by the rating panel.
1. Knowledge of pretrial, diagnostic, delivery of treatment services policies, procedures and processing or supervision case management of individuals in the criminal justice system.
2. Ability to write clear and concise reports and interact with internal staff and external stakeholders who work in the criminal justice system.
3. Experience in using law enforcement, court and case management computer systems to perform research and produce reports for the assessment and supervision of defendants, offenders, or persons involved in the criminal justice system.
Once the application process is completed, your application will be reviewed to ensure you meet the job requirements. You will be evaluated on the extent and quality of your experience, education and training, job- related awards and supervisory appraisal of performance. If you meet the basic qualification requirements, your resume will be forwarded to a panel for rating. Category Rating will be used to evaluate applicants using the following categories to further determine which applicants will be referred to the selecting official for final consideration.
Best Qualified: Applicants possessing a background that demonstrates a superior level on all evaluation criteria.
Well Qualified: Applicants possessing a background that demonstrates a satisfactory level on evaluation criteria.
Qualified: Applicants possessing the specialized experience described above.