Sewers Program Laborer II
Sewers Program Laborer II
A Laborer II performs journey-level tasks of more than ordinary difficulty. An employee in this class must be able to perform heavy physical labor safely and efficiently. The Laborer II class differs from the Laborer I in that tasks require a greater degree of skill and knowledge of departmental operations. Laborers work under the immediate supervision of a lead worker or Labor Supervisor who lays out the details of each specific assignment and constantly checks the work in process and upon completion; or performs routine tasks independently after initial instruction. An incumbent in this class may assist laborers III and Equipment Operators I and II in their various tasks.
- Applies materials such top dressing, mulch, and sand;
- Participates in the construction and repair of manholes, catch basins, inlets and junction boxes;
- Assists in forming, pouring and finishing small areas of concrete;
- Operates or assists in the operation of jackhammers, chain saws;
- Cleans hand and motorized tools and equipment. Clears debris from work area when job completed; Fills sand bags;
- Operates snow equipment during snow operations. Applies sand and/or brine to icy areas as directed;
- Inspects, cleans and maintains tools, equipment and vehicles;
- Assists other crews as needed;
- Performs related work as required
The ideal Candidate
To qualify for this position, all candidates must possess a High School Diploma or vocational school courses. Ability to perform heavy manual labor in all types of weather. Some knowledge of construction or maintenance activities and the equipment and tools of the trade; and one (1) year experience in any trade; or any equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities.
To be considered as an Ideal candidate, one should also possess two (2) years of experience as a semi-skilled worker; knowledge of sewer maintenance, fire hydrant maintenance, concrete work, laying sewer pipe, dredging, using tools and equipment related to sewer maintenance.
About the Department
T&ES is a community partner in shaping a livable, green, and prospering Alexandria. We plan, build, operate, and maintain transportation systems and infrastructure that improve mobility and provide people and businesses with core public services. The work we do keeps Alexandrians moving, growing sustainability, and thriving. If you are curious for a broader view of our City, click City of Alexandria to learn more.