Principal Software Engineer
Please list all professional experience and explain any gaps in employment history.
The Washington Post is looking for an experienced direct hire or temp to hire Principal Software Engineer to join the Data Science and Artificial Intelligence team. The Principal Software Engineer leads the architecture and development of new services built on machine learning technology. Past projects include chatbots, recommender systems, and topic clustering algorithms. You will be responsible for leading the development of high-quality production systems that scale to millions of users. We use a variety of technologies including AWS, Python, Java, Clojure, Spark, Tensorflow, scikit-learn, Hadoop, Postgres, and Elasticsearch.
More about what you'll do in this role:
- Transform machine learning models into APIs used by millions of people
- Architect systems that apply machine learning to monetization strategies including advertising, subscriptions, and traffic growth
- Provide technical leadership to Data Scientists and other software engineers
- Write excellent, performant code and associated tests
More about what we're looking for:
- 5+ years development experience
- Significant experience in building and running highly scalable web services
- Strong coding background in an object-oriented or functional programming language
- Experience with machine learning or big data systems
- Experience with designing systems that run on AWS, Azure, or Google Cloud
- Ability to work in an agile environment with frequent production releases