Manager III – Countywide Programs
Montgomery County Department of Recreation
Silver Spring, Maryland
$77,453 - $141,566
Montgomery County Recreation is seeking a highly motivated and experienced recreation professional who will manage the day-to-day operations of one of the Department's most programmatically diverse teams to include the work program of 26 full time equivalents (FTE's). The Recreation Manager will be a proven and polished professional who provides leadership and operational oversight of a wide range of county-wide programs and services designed to improve and enhance quality of life, and meets the recreational needs of diverse groups of County residents and their families. Program oversight includes but is not limited to youth and adult recreation classes; youth and adult sports leagues and programs; therapeutic recreation and inclusion services; trips and travel; summer camps and clinics; and countywide special events. These areas represent over $2.3 million in revenue to the Department.
Successful candidates will have demonstrated extensive and ongoing experience in the areas of recreation programming (minimum of three areas mentioned above), budget and fiscal accountability. Staff and volunteer management experience is also essential. This employee maintains an active working relationship with other agencies, schools, and interest groups; coordinates recreation programs; reviews and evaluates programs and makes recommendation to improve and expand recreation services; prepares operating budget for approval by the Division chief, and operates within the framework of the approved tax supported and self-sustaining revenue budgets.
The managers work involves the knowledge, skills and ability to:
• Prepare work programs based on County and department priorities for serving the needs of a demographically diverse community;
• Demonstrate flexibility and adaptability to work in a variety of high stress situations and environments that are changing and/or have competing priorities;
• Create connections with underrepresented individuals and communities, and ensure the development and delivery of culturally responsive programs;
• Conduct research and identify trends in the recreation industry, improve or modify programs based on analysis to meet the community needs, and make recommendations to expand programs;
• Implement program and budget strategies within the framework of the approved budget to include setting priorities, goals and objectives, as well as evaluating programs, making appropriate resource allocations and making data driven decisions;
• Proactively communicate internally and externally, and develop and foster relationships with other county agencies, school administration, non-profits and other youth based service providers and stakeholders;
• Perform and schedules tasks in areas such as facility use, transportation, equipment maintenance and repair;
• Perform accurate and detailed administrative functions to include but not limited to preparing and maintaining programs in business software, administering fiscal responsibilities, focusing on internal and external customer service, approving timecards, preparing reports, writing grants, developing program proposals, initiating and monitoring contracts, developing presentations and implementing other marketing and communication tools;
• Supervise and support the planning, organizing, promoting, scheduling and directing of all assigned programs and activities, and evaluate the performance of personnel and programs under charge;
• Effective oral and written skills are essential. The ability to read, write and speak a language in addition to English is preferred, but not required;
• Demonstrates core leadership competencies such as Customer Service; Commitment to Diversity; Communication and Persuasion Skills; Teamwork, Cooperation, and Collaboration; and, Balanced Risk Taking and Innovation.
The Countywide Programs Manager is a key member of the Departments leadership team and will be responsible for supervising and maintaining the stability of a large career and seasonal staff by modeling desired behaviors through consistent and positive work ethic; by providing direction and guidance to employees through clear articulation of performance expectations, policies and procedures, work plans, program goals and related services; and by advocating on behalf of the management team. As a manager of unionized employees, this position has a responsibility for fostering a positive labor relations environment based on mutual trust, respect, and cooperation. The Manager is responsible for working cross-culturally and committed to working towards improving one's own cultural competence and the cultural competence of staff (i.e., valuing differences/ diversity, recognizing personal limitations in one's expertise and having the desire to learn in these areas.).
This position frequently requires work beyond the typical 40 hours and during non-traditional hours to include early mornings, evenings, weekends, holidays, and in varying weather environments. This position requires the availability to respond to general information requests from the Director's Office outside of regularly scheduled work hours. This position is considered "Essential" and must be available to respond to and handle emergencies during working and non-working hours, and must report to work during a period of general emergency or liberal leave.
To ensure a positive workplace and to comply with federal, state and County laws, the incumbent is responsible for completing mandatory trainings within the first three to six months or within the specified timeframe.
Experience: Five years of progressively responsible professional experience in recreation management to include planning, development, and implementation of recreation programs and activities.
Education: Graduation from an accredited college or university with a Bachelor's Degree.
Equivalency: An equivalent combination of education and experience may be substituted. Note: Based upon legislative requirements, some positions may be subject to different minimum qualifications.
Medical Exam and Background Investigation: Selected candidate will be required to successfully complete a Medical History Review and background investigation prior to appointment.
1. Experience and knowledge of theories, principles and practices common in the field of recreation.
2. Experience providing oral communication (such as giving presentations, speaking to the public in large groups, trainings, etc.), and written communication (such as newsletters, reports, grant proposals, etc.).
3. Experience with budget development and oversight (both tax supported and self-sustaining revenue funds), financial management and automated financial systems such as ORACLE, Active net, Microsoft Office Suite and other software applications, etc.
4. Experience identifying program needs, monitoring program results and presenting outcomes, both qualitative and quantitative.
5. Experience in ongoing recreation management and oversight of daily operations.
6. Experience establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with other agencies, schools and interest groups.
7. Experience in overseeing administrative and personnel matters, including supervising and directing the work and performance of employees to include the ability to write clear and concise job descriptions and performance plans.
The selection process for this position will include an evaluation of core leadership competencies such as Customer Service Orientation; Commitment to Diversity; Communication and Persuasion Skills; Teamwork, Cooperation, and Collaboration; and, Balanced Risk Taking and Innovation.
We offer competitive salaries and excellent benefits.
To view the complete job announcement and to apply, please visit our website at http://www.montgomerycountymd.gov/hr/recruitment/applynow.html
and then click on “Apply Now." Click “Search Jobs" and see the full job description under the “Managerial Executive" Job Category.
Interested candidates must create an account in order to submit a resume.
The requisition number is IRC36424
This Recruitment closes March 25, 2019.
All resume submissions must address the preferred criteria for the position, which are listed in the full advertisement, preferably in a separate section of the resume.
Applicants are strongly encouraged to review the *Helpful Hints when Applying for Jobs* on the Office of Human Resource’s “Apply Now” webpage for important information about the County’s application requirements and process.