Dedicated Aide - Special Education - Gaithersburg or Largo (Please Specify Preferred Location)
PLEASE INDICATE IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN THE LARGO SCHOOL OR THE GAITHERSBURG SCHOOL
The Foundation Schools is a special education day school which delivers innovative school programs and support services for children and adolescents with emotional disabilities, autism spectrum disorders and other learning challenges. The Foundation Schools is accepting resumes for Dedicated Aide candidates to work at our Gaithersburg and Largo schools.
For over 40 years, The Foundation Schools’ mix of academic support and therapeutic services has given our students a chance to reach their full potential. The Foundation Schools is currently approved by the State of Maryland and the District of Columbia to provide services to students who have not been successful in their home school’s environment. The Foundation Schools has schools in Gaithersburg and Largo, Maryland that serve over 200 students in grades K-12.
Our Core Values’ provide a strong foundation for our programs, are integrated into our positive behavior intervention system, drive our actions and guide our staff and students daily to TWIRL (Teamwork, Work Ethic, Integrity, Respect, and Leadership). We offer a supportive working environment with small class sizes and excellent resources.
The Foundation Schools offers a comprehensive benefit package including tuition assistance and a generous retirement package. Visit our website at www.foundationschools.org for more information.
Dedicated Aides manage their assigned student’s behavior and ensure students’ safety through the implementation of the behavior modification system, school rules, and The Foundation Schools' policies and procedures, and help students decrease and avoid inappropriate behaviors. Dedicated Aides accompany their assigned student to all classes and activities to support them with their academic assignments and behavioral goals. Dedicated Aides maintain appropriate documentation of the students’ activities. They work under the direction of the classroom teacher to implement lesson plans and IEP goals. Dedicated Aides also provide staff assistance and program support through participation in meetings, committees, and special activities and assignments.
Education, Experience and Certification Requirements:
- High school diploma, G.E.D., or equivalent is required
- Related course work, Associates or Bachelor’s degree is preferred
- Six months of formal training or experience in special education, a psychiatric setting or other similar setting for children and adolescents is preferred
- Bilingual (Spanish/English) abilities are a plus
Key Job Functions:
- Shadow assigned student throughout the school day, monitor activities, and document progress; maintain required electronic and paper documentation regarding student’s behaviors and academic progress
- Help assigned student decrease and avoid inappropriate behaviors through use of effective behavior management techniques
- Display awareness of student’s diagnoses and academic achievements; adapt behavior accordingly to help meet the requirements of the student’s IEP
- Help assigned student with both individual and group classroom assignments; assist teacher with implementing lesson plans and actively encourage assigned student’s participation and interaction; assist with academic accommodations and modifications for their assigned student
- Demonstrate basic knowledge of all academic subjects and the ability to assist students with classwork
- Demonstrate clear and professional boundaries with all students
- Reinforce the expectations for learning and standards for classroom participation and behavior; encourage students’ ownership and contribution to the classroom; adapt strategies to help students remain in the classroom
- Provide feedback to teacher, school leaders, and other team members to help determine students’ needs, and adjust behaviors and practices to accommodate those needs
- Assist with students’ transition between classrooms, during lunch periods and during students’ arrivals and departures
- Demonstrate an understanding of how our students’ disabilities impact their behavior and ability to learn; display knowledge of students’ diagnoses and adapt intervention strategies accordingly to meet the requirements of the students’ IEPs and BIPs
- Effectively manage student behavior through the implementation of the behavior management system, school rules, policies, and procedures; model appropriate behavior for the students during the school day
- Proactively identify behaviors among all students that could lead to a crisis, an unsafe situation or disrupt the learning environment; use effective behavior management techniques to address these behaviors in order to limit the severity and length of disruptions
- Demonstrate appropriate use of verbal de-escalation skills to manage student behaviors; utilize the behavior continuum in order to use or consider the use of the least restrictive behavioral interventions necessary; use effective, appropriate and approved strategies during a crisis including the participation in seclusions, therapeutic holds, escorts, and student restraints when necessary; consistently, and appropriately utilize and model TACT 2 techniques or classroom behavior management strategies
Apply for Dedicated Aide - Special Education - Gaithersburg or Largo (Please Specify Preferred Location)
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly