Internal Revenue Agent
Occasional travel - 1 to 5 nights per month.
Relocation expenses reimbursed No
You must meet the following requirements by the closing date of this announcement:
BASIC REQUIREMENTS: You must have a Bachelor’s or higher degree in accounting from an accredited college or university that included at least 30 semester hours (45 quarter hours) in accounting or 24 semester hours in accounting and an additional 6 semester hours in related subjects such as business law, economics, statistical/quantitative methods, computerized accounting or financial systems, financial management, or finance.
OR A combination of experience and education at an accredited college or university equivalent to a 4 year degree that included courses equivalent to a major in accounting, i.e., at least 30 semester hours in accounting or 24 semester hours in accounting and 6 semester hours in related subjects as described above.
OR A Certificate as a Certified Public Accountant (CPA) obtained through written examination in a State, territory or the District of Columbia.
OR Are currently serving as an Internal Revenue Agent GS-0512 and have been in this position for at least one year or was previously an Internal Revenue Agent GS-0512 and held the position for at least one year.
In addition to the above qualifications, you must possess the following professional accounting knowledge: Principles of Accounting, Intermediate Accounting, Cost Accounting, Advanced Accounting, and Auditing. For more information on the required accounting knowledge please refer to Internal Revenue Agent Basic Requirements
In addition to the above, you must meet the requirements described below:
GS-13 LEVEL: You must have 1 year of specialized experience at a level of difficulty and responsibility equivalent to the GS-12 grade level in the Federal service. Specialized experience for this position includes: Progressively responsible and diversified professional accounting or auditing work that required: Experience applying professional accounting principles, theory, and practices to analyze and interpret accounting books, records, or systems specifically to determine their effect on Federal tax liabilities and their adequacy for recording transactions affecting tax liabilities; Experience interpreting and applying Federal tax law for individuals, business and/or exempt organizations, partnerships, and corporations; Experience of business and trade practices to develop tax issues based on analysis and evaluation of overall business operations and financial condition; Experience of corporate financial transactions and financial management principles and practices; Experience preparing written reports and analyses, and articulating and communicating results and analyses orally and in writing; and Experience interacting effectively with a broad range of individuals and negotiating with specialists in accounting, legal, tax, and other similar business related professions.
- The experience may have been gained in the public sector, private sector or VolunteerService. One year of experience refers to full-time work; part-time work is considered on a prorated basis.
- To ensure full credit for your work experience, please indicate dates of employment by month/year, and indicate number of hours worked per week, on your resume.
11 Positions to be filled in the Large Business & International (LB&I), Enterprise Activities, Financial Institutions & Products in the following locations:
- 1 position in any of the following: Hartford, CT; Norwalk, CT; New Haven, CT; Southborough, MA; Brockton, MA; Stoneham, MA; Boston, MA or Warwick, RI
- 2 positions in San Jose, CA
- 1 position in Seattle, WA
- 1 position in any of the following: Philadelphia, PA or King of Prussia, PA
- 1 position in any of the following: Chicago, IL; Schiller Park, IL; or Downers Grove, IL
- 1 position in any of the following: Cincinnati, OH or Columbus, OH
- 1 position in any of the following: Washington, DC or Vienna, VA
- 2 positions in any of the following: New York, NY; Iselin, NJ; Edison, NJ; Paterson, NJ or Mountainside, NJ
- 1 position in any of the following: West Palm Beach, FL; Plantation, FL or Miami, FL
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- We may select from this announcement or any other source to fill one or more vacancies.
- This is a bargaining unit position.
- Tour of Duty: Monday - Friday 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
- We offer opportunities for telework.
- Must meet IRS telework eligibility requirements.
- We offer opportunities for flexible work schedules.
- A 1-year probationary period is required.
- Must successfully complete a background investigation including an FBI criminal history record check (fingerprint check).
- Complete a Declaration for Federal Employment to determine your suitability for Federal employment, at the time requested by the agency
- If you are a male applicant born after December 31, 1959, certify that you have registered with the Selective Service System or are exempt from having to do so.
- Have your salary sent to a financial institution of your choice by Direct Deposit/Electronic Funds Transfer.
- Go through a Personal Identity Verification (PIV) process that requires two forms of identification from the Form I-9. Federal law requires verification of the identity and employment eligibility of all new hires in the U.S.
- Obtain and use a Government-issued charge card for business-related travel.
- File a Confidential Financial Disclosure Report within 30 days of appointment and annually from then on.
- The employment of any candidate, including a current employee or a new hire, selected for this position may be conditional upon classification and/or audit of federal tax returns. This audit may include up to 2 years of returns.
- May be required to file a confidential financial disclosure report within 30 days of selection and annually from then on.
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Your application includes your resume, responses to the online questions, and required supporting documents. Please be sure that your resume includes detailed information to support your qualifications for this position; failure to provide sufficient evidence in your resume may result in a “not qualified” determination.
Rating: Your application will be evaluated in the following areas: Interpersonal Skills, Oral and Written Communications, Corporate Financial Transactions, Problem Solving, Tax Law and Practices, Reasoning, Planning and Evaluating, Influencing/Negotiating. Category rating will be used to rank and select eligible candidates. If qualified, you will be assigned to one of three quality level categories, (i.e., A = Superior, B = Highly Qualified, C= Qualified) depending on your responses to the online questions, regarding your experience, education, and training related to this position. Your rating may be lowered if your responses to the online questions are not supported by the education and/or experience described in your application.
Veterans' preference is applied after applicants are assessed. Preference-eligibles will be listed at the top of their assigned category and considered before non-preference-eligibles in that category. Qualified preference-eligibles with a compensable service-connected disability of 10% or more will be listed at the top of the highest category for this position, except at the GS-09 and above.
Referral: If you are among the top qualified candidates, your application may be referred to a selecting official for consideration. You may be required to participate in a selection interview (telephonic and/or in person at the discretion of the Selecting Official in accordance with hiring polices). We will not reimburse costs related to the interview such as travel to and from the interview site.
If you are a displaced or surplus Federal employee (eligible for the Career Transition Assistance Plan (CTAP)/Interagency Career Transition Assistance Plan (ICTAP), you must receive a rating of category B or better to be rated as “well qualified" to receive special selection priority.
To preview questions please click here. Read more Security clearance Not Required Drug test required No