Assistant General Counsel, Labor and Employment
Connecting the World Through Innovation:
Intelsat is connecting the world and transforming the satellite landscape by reaching beyond the traditional satellite industry. We are defining new products that will open new, profitable markets. To help us reach this goal, you should be a bold thinker who will perform a key role in shaping Intelsat innovation for years to come.
Does this look like your next role?
In this pivotal role you will be responsible for actively, providing advice and legal support to the Human Resources department and business leaders across the company on a broad range of global labor and employment law, ERISA/global benefits and data privacy issues.
An Equal Opportunity Employer
Impacts you will make:
- Provide expert advice and legal support to Human Resources and business leaders across the company on a broad range of global employment law matters, including recruiting, hiring, immigration, employee relations, performance management, reorganizations, leave management, accommodations, and internal employment related investigations, as well as compliance with equal employment opportunity laws in the U.S. and globally, FMLA, wage and hour laws, and affirmative action.
- Provide legal advice related to the management of the company's health and welfare benefit programs, savings and retirement plans, and deferred compensation programs by ensuring plan documents are properly administered, maintained, and updated and compliant with applicable laws globally.
- Collaborate with outside counsel on employment, benefits and immigration matters, and manage employment-related disputes and litigation.
- Manage the drafting of employment agreements, severance agreements, incentive pay plans, benefits documents and 3rd party vendor agreements related to Human Resources functions.
- Provide counsel and advice on applicable U.S. and non-U.S. data privacy laws.
- Analyze and interpret proposed laws and regulations impacting business units and assist in devising compliance methods that meet business goals and objectives.
- Manage employment Counsel position.
- Manage and respond to 3rd party subpoenas for employee records.
- Partner with Human Resources to evaluate, develop and implement employment practices, policies, and procedures in compliance with employment laws and regulations worldwide.
- Assist in in creation and oversight of mandatory compliance training for all employees, managers, and the Human Resources team.
- Efficiently utilize and oversee the work of outside counsel to manage risk and ensure internal clients receive effective, business-focused support.
- Support executive compensation matters as required.
- Handle other legal issues and department responsibilities as directed by Vice President, Commercial Legal Affairs and/or EVP, General Counsel & CAO.
You should definitely have:
- Juris Doctor (JD) degree from an accredited law school.
- At least ten years of broad-based global employment law experience providing counseling on complex/varied matters within a reputable national law firm and/or comparable in-house experience.
- Superior knowledge of US federal and state employment laws.
- Understanding of employee benefits laws, including ERISA.
- Strong knowledge of global employment and global employee benefits laws.
- Effective written and oral English language communication skills and strong analytical and writing skills.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office software suite (MS Excel, Access, Word and Outlook).
- Ability to balance and prioritize multiple time-sensitive tasks effectively and independently with strong follow-through skills.
- Ability to evaluate risk, demonstrate a practical, solution-oriented approach to problem-solving, and effectively counsel internal clients by providing them with clear and concise recommendations.
- Ability to work effectively in a widely dispersed cross-functional team environment, manage assignments without close supervision, manage external counsel and consultant relationships and collaborate with internal clients.
- Ability to interact effectively with people of various cultural backgrounds.
But it would be nice if you had:
- Experience with data privacy matters.
- Additional years of relevant experience.
What it's like to work with us:
- We emphasize personal and professional growth
- We are customer focused and collaborative
- Awesome benefits including informal work environment, flexible work arrangements, generous 401(k) plan, PTO, medical, tuition reimbursement, and training
- Fun, diverse, and inclusive culture
Other Job Info:
- This role is subject to ITAR/EAR; candidates must be a US Person (this includes US Citizen, Permanent Resident or Protected Individual such as an asylee or refugee)
- These statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this job. This is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of employees assigned to this job
- This role requires you to sit for long periods of time and work with a computer
- This role is subject to ITAR; candidates must be a US Person (this includes US Citizen, Permanent Resident or Protected Individual such as an asylee or refugee).
- These statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this job. This is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of employees assigned to this job.
- Company description: Intelsat is the largest provider of fixed satellite services worldwide. We enable providers of media, telecom and government services to deliver information and entertainment to people at home, in the office or on the move. On a day-to-day basis, Intelsat supplies video, data and voice connectivity in approximately 200 countries and territories for approximately 1,800 customers, many of which Intelsat has had relationships with for over 30 years. Some of the world's leading media and communications companies, multinational corporations, Internet service providers and government/military organizations hallmark Intelsat's customer base. Customers access capacity through extensive service offerings, which include transponder services, hybrid managed services combining satellite capacity and terrestrial facilities, and channel services.