Equal Opportunity & Diversity Specialist
Job Category : Admin or Professional Faculty
Working hours :
Salary : Commensurate with education and experience.
Web Announcement :
Equal Opportunity & Diversity Specialist Compliance, Diversity and Ethics
Responsibilities: Reporting to the Associate Director & Chief Investigator, and under general supervision, the Equal Opportunity & Diversity Specialist serves as a change agent in providing strategies, solutions, training, tools, resources and thought leadership on diversity. This incumbent will build internal awareness for diversity and inclusion throughout the university and provide expertise to problem-solve, design and deliver proactive department/university-wide diversity and inclusion solutions. The incumbent is also responsible for the development, delivery and administration of EEO-related trainings and workshops; providing oversight to the university search and recruitment process in conjunction with the Human Resources Department, which includes (but is not limited to) reviewing search committee membership, job posting language, working with departments to craft interview questions and diversity statements, and retrieving and analyzing applicant EEO reports. George Mason University has a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its faculty and staff, and strongly encourages candidates to apply who will enrich Masons academic and culturally inclusive environment.
The Equal Opportunity & Diversity Specialist will investigate and respond to allegations of discrimination and harassment filed by university students, staff, faculty and/or visitors in compliance with federal and state laws, executive orders, and university policies and procedures; this position will collaborate with the Provosts Office, Office of the University Counsel, Office of Human Resources and Payroll, and all members of the Mason community. This work requires impartial, thorough and efficient management and resolution of complaints within specific time constraints, while ensuring attention to detail and accuracy regarding facts, relevance and investigation documentation. In this position, the incumbent will also represent CDE on various task forces, projects, boards and committees as needed.
- An advanced degree or a combination of education/training and work experience at a level that equates to an advanced degree;
- High-level analytical and organizational skills;
- Thorough knowledge of the circumstances associated with diversity and inclusion issues;
- Ability to deal tactfully and persuasively with university management, executives, faculty, students and others to resolve program issues that are often controversial and sensitive in nature;
- Comprehensive knowledge of the views, values and perspectives of diverse demographics;
- Demonstrated experience in designing and delivering EEO, diversity, unconscious bias and search committee trainings, and facilitating workshops in front of large groups effectively and persuasively;
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills and problem-solving and reasoning skills, including the ability to work effectively with individuals from underrepresented groups with understanding and sensitivity to experiences of individuals from diverse backgrounds;
- Demonstrated professional experience conducting confidential formal investigations involving issues of alleged discrimination;
- Professional work-related experience with federal and state laws and regulations regarding EO 11246, Title VI and VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 as amended, ADA/Section 503 and 504 of the Rehabilitation Act, Title IX and other legislation relevant to this work; and, the ability to interpret and explain them to university constituents.
- Demonstrated ability to work successfully both independently and collaboratively;
- Demonstrated ability to handle a significant caseload, manage multiple deadlines, and maintain detailed records;
- Excellent communication skills, including the ability to convey relevant information in neutral yet persuasive written reports to employees, applicants, students and administrative agencies that clearly present a thorough analysis of the evidence presented with a conclusion that is strongly supported by the evidence; and
- Ability to deal with sensitive and/or stressful situations in a professional and confidential manner. Preferred Qualifications:
- A minimum of three years of experience building awareness for and providing expertise to diversity and inclusion through a myriad of initiatives, best practices and solutions;
- A minimum of three years professional experience conducting confidential, formal investigations involving issues of alleged discrimination;
- Experience working in a post secondary education environment;
- Mediation and conflict resolution experience;
- Knowledge of best practices in the recruitment and retention of a diverse workforce; and
- Experience researching and interpreting diversity- and equal opportunity-related current trends and legislative changes.
Special Instructions : For full consideration, applicants must apply at https://jobs.gmu.edu/; complete and submit the online application; and upload a cover letter, resume, and a list of three professional references with contact information.
MasonAd : Great Careers Begin at Mason!
George Mason University is an innovative, entrepreneurial institution with national distinction in both academics and research. Mason holds a top U.S. News and World Report Up and Coming spot for national universities and is recognized for its global appeal and excellence in higher education.
Mason is currently the largest and most diverse university in Virginia with students and faculty from all 50 states and over 135 countries studying in over 200 degree programs at campuses in Arlington, Fairfax and Prince William, as well as at learning locations across the commonwealth. Rooted in Masons diversity is a campus culture that is both rewarding and exciting, work that is meaningful, and opportunities to both collaborate and create.
If you are interested in joining the Mason family take a look at our current opportunities and catch some Mason spirit at jobs.gmu.edu/!
George Mason University, Where Innovation is Tradition.
Equity Statement : George Mason University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, committed to promoting inclusion and equity in its community. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability or veteran status, or any characteristic protected by law.
Job Close Date :