IT Senior Network Engineer
The Senior Network Engineer’s role is to ensure the stability, integrity, and functionality of the University of Maryland’s local area networks and associated services.
The position is heavily involved with full life-cycle service planning which includes developing plans for service strategy, service design, service transition, service operations and continual service improvement. This work is done in collaboration with the Principal Network Architect and other stakeholders to gather and refine requirements while at the same time staying current with industry trends and vendor capabilities. This position requires strong analysis and planning skills and will develop both high-level service roadmaps as well as detailed implementation plans. Implementation plans include, but are not limited to, service improvements and upgrades (both client facing and administrative), equipment upgrades/replacements, and general design, security, and architecture improvements. This position requires an understanding of network security and may require the development, deployment or integration of network security services.
This position also involves planning, designing, and implementing network infrastructure projects. The Senior Network Engineer should be able to work both independently and as part of a team. Project management skills are desirable. This Senior Network Engineer is expected to be the project manager/lead on a portion of the department’s projects. This includes meeting with the stakeholders, gathering requirements, pulling in resources within the team and outside in order to coordinate their efforts, create and present designs, oversee the implementation of the project and handoff support to the Operations Organization.
Documentation is a critical component of this position. Design documents will contain diagrams, purpose statements, stakeholder requirements, test plans, required personnel and hardware resources, cost estimates and schedules.
Other duties include managing network resources and assisting in the management of the network management system and other support systems. Presentation skills are required to present designs, market solutions to stakeholders, and to provide training to operations staff to medium-sized groups (<50). Presentations may involve public speaking, utilization of current technology tools such as video clips, social networks, and/or written communications.
This position requires the mentoring of junior personnel within the Division of IT. This can involve a considerable amount of effort and time. This involves training, shadowing, guiding, and reviewing of work. It may also involve the engineer’s time to assist in the duties of the junior that he/she is mentoring to ensure the work/troubleshooting is being performed properly.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university; or an equivalent combination of education and experience;
7 years’ experience in large-scale network engineering for mission-critical networks (i.e. ISP/Internet/eCommerce/ASP/Web hosting/Large Enterprise).
Associates’ degree and 9 years related experience.
H.S. Diploma and 11 years related experience.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
Strong knowledge of network design and engineering.
Technical knowledge of, and experience working with:
– Cisco routers and switches
– Palo Alto and Cisco firewalls
Technical knowledge of network management and analysis tools such as SNMP probes and Network Sniffers or similar devices or programs.
Technical knowledge and a good understanding of DNS, DHCP, IPAM and NTP.
Technical knowledge of network systems, protocols, and standards such as: TCP/IP, NAT, 802.1x, MPLS, OSPF, and BGP.
Ability to manage large complicated networking configurations.
Ability to manage Infoblox system administration, operation and maintenance, and related systems and scripts.
Ability to create scripts and other automation solutions to aid in the completion of migration and integration tasks.
Proven experience and success with enterprise-level LAN engineering, design, and implementation.
Proven ability to configure Cisco routers, hubs, switches.
Excellent hardware troubleshooting experience.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Information Technology, Information Systems or related field preferred
- Network related certification such as CCNA, CCNP, CCDA, CCIE certifications desirable.
- Network related certifications such as Infoblox Core Network Advanced or Expert Services Accreditation desirable.
- Experience in a higher education environment is preferred, but not required.
- Technical knowledge of network management and analysis tools such as SNMP, Netflow, Network Sniffers or similar devices or programs.
- Administration, installation, configuration, upgrading, and troubleshooting experience with Server Operating Systems, including: Windows, UNIX (Linux/FreeBSD).
- Identify problems in the enterprise network infrastructure and propose solutions.
- Design, implement and support distribution network, data center network infrastructure and network security services.
- Integrate disparate systems.
- Identify functions that can be improved by process development and implementation.
- Analytic skills and ability to contribute new thoughts and participate in collaborative problem solving and decision-making.
- Creativity, originality, and ingenuity in the many technical and human situations encountered in professional service.
Additional information: Excellent leave, medical coverage, retirement and tuition-remission benefits. Screening of applicants will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled. For best consideration, please submit application by March 27, 2019. **This position does not provide sponsorship for work visas.
Physical demands: Predominantly operates in an office environment though significant periods of time will be spent in computer room and communications equipment spaces for installation, testing, and troubleshooting. Some work (less than 10%) requires moving and lifting of heavy communications equipment.
Best consideration date: 03/27/2019 or open until filled.
Please, apply at: https://ejobs.umd.edu/postings/67899