General Attorney (Tax) (GS-905-12/13/14))
Occasional travel - Once per month.
Relocation expenses reimbursed No
Your application includes your resume, responses to the online questions, and required supporting documents. Please be sure that your resume includes detailed information to support your qualifications for this position; failure to provide sufficient evidence in your resume may result in a “not qualified” determination.
You must meet the following requirements by the closing date of this announcement:
PLEASE NOTE: The J.D. and/or the LL.M must be from an ABA-accredited law school.
For GS-12: Possess a J.D. and at least one year of general legal experience comparable to the GS-11 level OR Possess a J.D. and an LL.M.
For GS-13: Possess a J.D. and 1 year of general legal experience plus 1 year of legal tax experience comparable to the GS-12 level Or an LL.M. plus 1 year of legal tax experience comparable to the GS-12 level.
For GS-14: Possess a J.D. and 1 year of general legal experience, plus 2 years of legal tax experience (1 year of legal tax experience must have been comparable to the GS-13 level) Or an LL.M. plus 2 years of legal tax experience (1 year of legal tax experience must have been comparable to the GS-13 level).
LL.M. degree in the field of the positon may be substituted for one year of the general experience listed above.
Specialized experience for GS-13 and GS-14: At least 52 weeks of the legal tax experience must involve dealing with investigations and prosecutions of violations of Internal Revenue laws, the Bank Secrecy Act, money laundering and other white collar crimes, special investigative techniques employed by Criminal Investigation; and criminal and civil forfeitures initiated by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) referred to in the Criminal Tax duty statement described in the vacancy announcement which included assignments involving complex and difficult legal questions requiring extensive research, analysis, and evaluation.
- Candidates must be admitted to practice law before the highest court of a state or territory of the United States; the District of Columbia; or the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico and be an active member by the closing date of the announcement.
- The professional legal experience may have been gained in the public sector, private sector, or Volunteer Service. One year of experience refers to full-time work after admitted to the Bar; part-time work is considered on a prorated basis.
- To ensure full credit for your work experience, please indicate dates of employment by month/year, and indicate number of hours worked per week, on your resume.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- A 1-year trial period is required.
- Must successfully complete a background investigation.
- Complete a Declaration for Federal Employment to determine your suitability for Federal employment, at the time requested by the agency
- If you are a male applicant born after December 31, 1959, certify that you have registered with the Selective Service System or are exempt from having to do so.
- Have your salary sent to a financial institution of your choice by Direct Deposit/Electronic Funds Transfer.
- Go through a Personal Identity Verification (PIV) process that requires two forms of identification from the Form I-9. Federal law requires verification of the identity and employment eligibility of all new hires in the U.S.
- Obtain and use a Government-issued charge card for business-related travel.
- Undergo an income tax verification.
- The employment of any candidate, including a current employee or a new hire, selected for this position may be conditional upon classification and/or audit of federal tax returns. This audit may include up to 2 years of returns.
- Requires a Public Trust Background Investigation.
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Rating: Your application will be evaluated using the experience/education defined under the requirement section.
Referral: Professional Order will be used to refer and select eligible candidates. Veterans' preference is applied after applicants are assessed. Preference-eligibles will be listed at the top of the certificate in alphabetical order and considered before non-preference-eligibles. All other candidates will be listed in alphabetical order and be listed below those with preference. If you are among the top qualified candidates, you may be required to participate in a selection interview. We will not reimburse costs related to the interview such as travel to and from the interview site.
To preview questions please click here.