Chief Defense Operations Personnel and Support Branch
Relocation expenses reimbursed No
Your narrative statements should include examples of experience, education, and accomplishments applicable to the qualification. Structure your statements in terms of the action taken, the context or environment in which the action was taken, and the outcome or results from such actions. You should write each statement with the vacancy in mind as all qualifications are directly related to the position being filled. Be sure to include appropriate training and awards when addressing your qualifications. Please limit your narrative statements to one and a half pages per factor.
For further information and tips on writing effective narrative statements, see OPM's publication 'A Guide to SES Qualifications available on the OPM website at: http://www.opm.gov/ses/references/GuidetoSESQuals_2010.pdf .
If you do not submit a separate statement addressing each of these qualifications, you will not receive consideration for the position.
MANDATORY TECHNICAL QUALIFICATIONS (MTQs): All applicants must submit written statements (narrative or bullet format acceptable) of accomplishments that would satisfy the technical qualifications. You must address each technical qualification separately. You are required to respond to all technical qualifications. Failure to do so will result in an incomplete application and you will be rated as 'ineligible.'
- Senior level experience in budget, program, and policy analysis, with practice in the use of quantitative techniques.
- Experience in, or demonstrated potential for, leading teams and/or managing a professional staff to achieve timely, effective, and high quality results.
- Demonstrated ability to represent agency policies and positions effectively and to negotiate differences to mutually acceptable outcomes.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate concisely and effectively with senior policy officials, both orally and in writing, particularly in support of policy processes that often involve short timeframes.
- Experience working with defense and national security issues.
If you do not submit a separate statement addressing the ECQs and MTQs, you will not receive consideration for the position.
Note: If you are a member of the SES or have been certified through successful participation in an OPM approved SES Candidate Development Program (SESCDP), or have SES reinstatement eligibility, you do not need to respond to the ECQs. Instead, you should attach proof (e.g., SF-50, Certificate of Completion of SESCDP) of your eligibility for appointment to the SES.
The following Fundamental Competencies are cross-cutting and should be addressed over the course of your ECQ narrative. It is not necessary to address them directly as long as the narrative, in its totality, shows mastery of the competencies on the whole. The competencies are: Interpersonal Skills; Oral Communications; Continual Learning; Written Communication; Integrity/Honesty; and Public Service Motivation.
- Leading Change - This core qualification involves the ability to bring about strategic change, both within and outside the organization, to meet organizational goals. Inherent to this ECQ is the ability to establish an organizational vision and to implement it in a continuously changing environment.
- Leading People - This core qualification involves the ability to lead people toward meeting the organization's vision, mission, and goals. Inherent to this ECQ is the ability to provide an inclusive workplace that fosters the development of others, facilitates cooperation and teamwork, and supports constructive resolution of conflicts.
- Results Driven - This core qualification involves the ability to meet organization goals and customer expectations. Inherent to this ECQ is the ability to make decisions that produce high-quality results by applying technical knowledge, analyzing problems, and calculating risks.
- Business Acumen - This core qualification involves the ability to manage human, financial, and information resources strategically.
- Building Coalitions/Communications - This core qualification involves the ability to build coalitions internally and with other Federal agencies, State and local governments, nonprofit and private sector organizations, foreign governments, or international organizations to achieve common goals.
ARE YOU USING YOUR EDUCATION TO QUALIFY? You MUST provide transcripts or other documentation to support your educational claims. Unless otherwise stated: (1) official or unofficial transcripts are acceptable, or (2) you may submit a list with all of your courses, grades, semester, year, and credit for the course. All materials must be submitted by the closing date of the announcement.
PASS/FAIL COURSES: If more than 10 percent of your undergraduate course work (credit hours) were taken on a pass/fail basis, your claim of superior academic achievement must be based upon class standing or membership in an honor society.
GRADUATE EDUCATION: One academic year of graduate education is considered to be the number of credits hours your graduate school has determined to represent one academic year of full-time study. Such study may have been performed on a full-time or part-time basis. If you cannot obtain your graduate school's definition of one year of graduate study, 18 semester hours (or 27 quarter hours) should be considered as satisfying the requirement for one year of full-time graduate study.
FOREIGN EDUCATION: If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet the qualification requirements, you must show the education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education programs and such education has been deemed equivalent to that gained in an accredited U.S. education program; or full credit has been given for the courses at a U.S. accredited college or university. For further information, visit:http://www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ous/international/usnei/us/edlite-visitus-forrecog.html
OMB Diversity and Inclusion Statement: OMB is committed to creating a multicultural and supportive work environment and strongly encourages applications from candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of the organization.
Condition of Employment
OMB Financial Disclosure: This position is subject to the confidential financial disclosure requirements of the Ethics in Government Act of 1978 (P.L. 95-521). Therefore, if selected, you will be required to complete a Confidential Financial Disclosure Report (OGE Form 450) (OGE Form 278 SES) to determine if a conflict or an appearance of a conflict exists between your financial interest and your prospective position with OMB. Providing this information will be an annual requirement.
Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Policy Statement: http://www.eeoc.gov/federal/index.cfm
Employment Information Resources - Resource Center: https://help.usajobs.gov/index.php/Main_Page
Males born after 12-31-1959 must be registered or exempt from Selective Service (see https://www.sss.gov/RegVer/wfRegistration.aspx)
If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an Alternative Application.
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
The Office of Administration's Human Resources Management Division will review all applications to determine if applicants meet the mandatory professional/technical qualifications of this position and the SES ECQs. Those who meet the qualifications will be referred to a panel of SES members for rating and ranking to determine the "best qualified" candidates. The panel may conduct interviews with the top candidates and then make a recommendation to the selecting official about the top candidates that he/she should interview.
Once a selection is made, the selectee's application will be forwarded to the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) for approval by an OPM independent Qualifications Review Board, unless the selectee is a current SES executive or has successfully participated in an OPM approved SES Candidate Development Program.