Tree Care Specialist II
Performs skilled tree maintenance work; climbing trees to perform basic tree care services; removes diseased, dead or undesirable trees from parkland and other designated county-owned property. Duties include the ability to remove trees, operate all forestry equipment and vehicles (aerial lift, stump grinder, chipper, chainsaws, all necessary hand and pole tools), and supervise a crew in the absence of a Tree Care Specialist III. Follow all safety policies and attend all safety and training meetings as required. Duties are specialized due to hazardous nature and team work required of crew; and performs related work as required. This is a mid to upper level position with FCPA Forestry Operations. Reports to 4501 Brookfield Corporate Drive, Chantilly VA, 20151 and is dispatched to park locations county-wide.Illustrative Duties
- Leads a crew to complete all assigned work and act as crew supervisor in the absence of a Tree Care Specialist III;
- Prunes and removes diseased, dead or undesirable trees and limbs;
- Clears fallen trees from roads, trails and public access areas;
- Uses ropes, and other equipment to perform all tree care services which include tree removal, pruning and brush clearing;
- Uses multiple knots, rigging, motorized winches, and block and tackle to remove limbs or completely remove trees;
- Climbs trees to perform basic tree pruning and removal tasks;
- Maintains safe working conditions during tree operations by manually removing cut materials from work site and ensuring all work sites are established in accordance with applicable Fairfax County safety policies;
- Reports and monitors job site safety area, unsafe working conditions;
- Operates chain saw, pole saw, line-thrower, winches and all trucks and equipment, including aerial lift devices, brush chippers, stump grinding machines, and forestry truck;
- Loads and unloads trucks or other equipment;
- Conducts routine maintenance on assigned equipment;
- Drive assigned vehicle to job site;
- May be designated as emergency service personnel.
- Working knowledge of the methods, materials, trucks, equipment and tools used in tree care operations;
- Knowledge of appropriate safety precaution and practices in accordance with Fairfax County safety policies while engaged in tree maintenance work and using specialized tree service equipment;
- Ability to work in adverse weather conditions;
- Ability to be physically active for up to 3 hours at a time;
- Ability to use all hand and power tools specific to tree work;
- Ability to climb trees may be required;
- Ability to walk and work on uneven terrain;
- Ability to lead a crew;
- Ability to work cooperatively with others;
- Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions.
Any combination of education, experience, and training equivalent to graduation from high school or a GED issued by a state department of education; plus four years of experience in tree care services or related field.
CERTIFICATES AND LICENSES REQUIRED:
- Valid state issued driver's license;
- Certified Arborist - International Society of Arboriculture (or the ability to obtain within 12 months of hire);
- ISA Aerial Lift Specialist Certification (or the ability to obtain within 12 months of hire).
The appointee to this position will be required to complete a criminal background check, a check of the Child Protective Services Registry, a driver's license check, and a pre-employment physical examination to the satisfaction of the employer.
Knowledge of and ability to operate chippers, stump grinder, chainsaws, and operations of the aerial lift (out riggers, manual operation of the booms, safe positioning). Knowledge, understanding and ability to apply ANSI Z-133 and A-100 standards as they pertain to tree care operations.
Ability to stand, stoop, bend, stretch, walk, climb, sit, kneel, crouch, reach, crawl, lift and handle materials with manual dexterity. Ability to lift and carry items weighing up to 75 pounds. Ability to perform repetitive hand, arm, wrist and shoulder movements. Ability to be physically active for three hours at a time. Ability to bend, stoop, crawl and work in tiring and uncomfortable positions. Ability to work in hot and cold temperatures. Ability to use hand tools. Ability to walk, negotiate or traverse property sites that may be undergoing construction or having terrain that is not level. Work requires performing tasks in adverse weather conditions. Ability to climb trees and perform basic tree care services. Ability to use power tools specific to Forestry Operations. Ability to work in an aerial lift device for 2-3 hours at a time while wearing an approved safety harness and other required PPE. Ability to operate chainsaw and hand tools regularly during the course of a typical 8-hour day. All duties performed with or without reasonable accommodations.
It is the policy of Fairfax County Government to prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, sex, color, national origin, religion, age, veteran status, political affiliation, genetics, or disability in the recruitment, selection, and hiring of its workforce.
Reasonable accommodations are available to persons with disabilities during application and/or interview processes per the Americans with Disabilities Act. Contact 703-324-4900 for assistance. TTY 703-222-7314. EEO/AA/TTY.