Maintenance Crew Chief
Supervises and participates in the work of an assigned athletic field maintenance crew. Inspects and completes maintenance of athletic fields, or other park facilities; prepares diamond fields daily, grooming synthetic fields, marking fields, checking facilities and site-amenities for damage and making necessary repairs. Determines and lists materials, tools and equipment needed to complete daily assignments. Uses gas power equipment. Inspects and operates tractors, loaders, groomers, utility vehicles, all with attachments and other equipment, and hauls equipment and materials. Uses walk-behind and hand-held power equipment. Informs supervisors of conditions requiring special attention. Maintains tools and equipment in good working order. Completes required documentation and daily work reports. Removes debris and litter from athletic fields and ancillary facilities. Participates in snow removal and de-icing operations. Supervises, evaluates and ensures that staff has been trained in and follows safety requirements for equipment operations and maintenance procedures. This ad is for multiple positions that will be reporting to 10401 Burke Lake Road Fairfax Station, or 4501 Brookfield Corporate Drive, Chantilly, on a daily basis and then will be dispatched to various Parks throughout Fairfax County.Illustrative Duties
- Leads, inspects, and reviews the work of a crew engaged in a variety of semi-skilled maintenance and/or construction activities;
- Inspects projects in progress and upon completion;
- Advises residents of county responsibility and refers them to the proper authority when appropriate;
- Estimates the amount of material to be used on a job;
- Prepares reports;
- Ensures that crew members have been trained in the proper use of equipment;
- Ensures that safety procedures are followed;
- Assists crew members in the operation of various types of trucks and equipment such as flat-bed trucks, utility bucket trucks, snow plows or spreaders, combination vacs, rodders, and extenda-jets;
- Responds to emergency situations including snow, flooding, and other designated emergencies;
- Monitors and reports complaints;
- In absence of the supervisor, performs duties of dispatching crews, preparing work orders, entering on-line time and attendance reports, preparing accident reports, addressing citizen complaints, etc.;
- May assist in preparing safety tailgate topics for crews and presenting safety topics at meetings;
- Inspects and reviews the work of crews engaged in a variety of maintenance and construction activities;
- Oversees and is engaged in the work of assigned crews;
- Engages in safe working practices and complies with safety programs and guidelines;
- Reports and monitors unsafe working conditions;
- Complies with safety competencies.
- Working knowledge of the methods, tools and equipment commonly used in the maintenance and construction of sanitary sewers, walk ways, roads, lawns, parks, etc.;
- Knowledge of common hazards and safety precautions;
- Working knowledge of safety codes;
- Working knowledge of computers;
- Ability to use tools, equipment, and materials pertinent to the construction and maintenance trades;
- Ability to follow and interpret written instructions, diagrams, location maps, blueprints, and manufacturers' manuals;
- Ability to follow and relay oral instructions to labor crew in performance of work orders;
- Ability to organize and make oral presentations of safety topics and field operating guidelines at tailgate meetings;
- Ability to accurately estimate time and material needs, determine when repair is not economically practical, and perform routine clerical tasks and arithmetical computations;
- Ability to maintain good interpersonal relationships;
- Ability to retrieve, modify, and print computer documents on a computer;
- Ability to lead a crew in the performance of their duties;
- Ability to perform duties requiring manual dexterity and mechanical aptitude;
- Ability to work outside with regular exposure to severe weather, noxious fumes, and high levels of dust;
- Ability to perform medium to heavy labor;
- Ability to comprehend and comply to safety practices;
- Ability to maintain effective relationships with customers, employees and supervisors.
Any combination of education, experience, and training equivalent to graduation from high school or possession of a GED issued by a state department of education; and two years of experience in maintenance, construction, or a related field.
CERTIFICATES AND LICENSES REQUIRED:
- Valid motor vehicle driver's license.
- Class A CDL learner's permit.
- Class A CDL with air brakes (Required within 9 months).
NECESSARY SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:
The appointee to this position will be required to complete a criminal background check, a check of the Child Protective Services Registry, and a driver's license check to the satisfaction of the employer. May be required to work overtime and be subject to emergency callback.
- At least two years of supervisory experience.
- At least two years performing maintenance activities on athletic fields.
- Ability to operate hand-held, walk-behind and riding grounds maintenance equipment such as string trimmers, sod cutters and utility tractors with implements.
- Knowledge of maintenance of irrigation systems.
- At least three years of maintenance, construction or related experience.
- Experience with equipment such as: skid-steers with attachments, tractor with attachments, riding mowers.
- Small equipment experience with chainsaws, weed-trimmers, edgers, blowers, walk-behind mowers.
- At least three years of experience with the repair and maintenance of outdoor maintenance equipment such as mowers, tractors and landscape equipment.
Ability to lift 50 pounds regularly, and work outdoors in variable weather conditions performing physical labor. Ability to operate motor vehicle and trailer. Ability to operate grounds equipment. All duties performed with or without reasonable accommodations.
It is the policy of Fairfax County Government to prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, sex, color, national origin, religion, age, veteran status, political affiliation, genetics, or disability in the recruitment, selection, and hiring of its workforce.
Reasonable accommodations are available to persons with disabilities during application and/or interview processes per the Americans with Disabilities Act. Contact 703-324-4900 for assistance. TTY 703-222-7314. EEO/AA/TTY.