DES OPERATIONS MANAGER (WATER UTILITY)
Arlington County's Department of Environmental Services (DES) is seeking an Operations Manager for Water Utility (WU) to provide leadership, management and engineering/technical support to the Water, Sewer and Streets (WSS) Bureau under the direct support of the Chief Operating Engineer (COE). This position is under the Operations Service area of the DES and is responsible for managing/overseeing programs within the Water Utility section including maintenance, distribution, metering, and the Water Control Center in coordination with the COE, WSS Engineering and Construction Management Sections.
Specific duties include:
- Providing daily technical and operational oversight to the program's work teams on maintenance and operational issues; Providing business management process instructions and ensuring proper work and resources documentation; Coordinating as appropriate 24/7 response and dispatch.
- In support of the COE, managing and supervising Trades Manager/Leaders (TMLs) and their staff in the WU Section to ensure accountability for the quality of the work performed and effective implementation of the policies, Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) and accountability protocols within the Section; Implementing SOPs and accountability protocols.
- Coordinating the daily work of the section with other WSS sections and County Trades groups, ensuring compliance with County Construction Standards and environmental protocols; continuously working to refine approaches and methods to improve business/operational practices, and identifying, developing, and implementing appropriate and technical training programs.
- Coordinating budget expenditures and funds management as required within the departmental framework for various funds and project tracking.
- Serving as the designated Bureau lead or alternate lead during program emergencies, including planning, preparation, operations, debriefing, equipment, and responsiveness; Being available as an alternate to the COE as a contact for Public Safety Emergency Management (PSEM), Emergency Operations Center (EOC), and Emergency Support Functions (ESF) during emergency events as well as with the press and communications teams.
- Planning and managing the workflow and contractor support to fully utilize assigned resources and maximize service delivery and customer satisfaction; Coordinating with the WSS Engineering and Construction Management Section as appropriate.
- Assisting others responsible for requests for Government Response Action Memorandum (GRAMS) and other public inquiries to ensure answers are complete and in conformance with current practices and policies; and supporting the COE in developing and responding to state and federal legislative and regulatory priorities.
The successful candidate will have operational experience and excellent oral and written communication skills in order to convey complex technical and managerial information, write reports and memos, proposals, policies and procedures, and to effectively manage employees. Thorough knowledge of civil engineering principles, familiarity with codes, standards and specifications are desired as well as the ability to apply technology based solutions. Must possess a demonstrated knowledge of public works operations and processes, and have experience supervising full-time employees including performance evaluation processing and disciplinary measures.
Arlington County offers a competitive salary and a great benefits package including a Defined Benefit (pension) plan. For more information on Arlington's family friendly benefits click here. Selection Criteria
Minimum: Bachelor's Degree in Business or Engineering related field plus considerable years of progressively responsible experience in program management in a public works or utilities or related trades environment, including technical and operational oversight, and at least two years of direct supervisory experience.
Substitution: Additional qualifying experience may be substituted for the education requirement on a year-for-year basis.
Desirable: Preference may be given to candidates with one or more of the following:
- Extensive experience supervising trades employees in public works and utilities (i.e. maintenance work on water utilities, etc.) environment;
- Successful track records of improving operational safety, quality, productivity and morale;
- Budget experience including monitoring/coordinating expenditures and funds management; and/or
- Water distribution system licensure from a State.
Applicant must possess, or obtain by time of appointment, and maintain throughout the course of employment a valid motor vehicle operator's license from the applicant's place of residence. The applicant must authorize Arlington County to obtain, or the applicant must provide, a copy of the applicant's official state/district driving record. Any offer of employment may be contingent upon a favorable review of the applicant's driving record.Additional Information
Normal work hours are 8:00a.m. to 5:00p.m. (flexible), with some work hours outside of normal work schedule due to emergencies 24/7 operations.
The official title of this position is DES Operations Manager.
Each section of the application must be completed. A resume may be attached, however, it will not substitute for the completed application. Please do not give "see resume" as a response to the supplemental questions. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
NOTE: This position is listed as "open continuous." Interested applicants are advised to submit their applications as soon as possible. Applications will be reviewed and qualified applicants referred on a continuous basis. Interviews will be conducted on a regular basis throughout the recruitment with candidates whose qualifications best fit our needs. If your application is received later in the recruitment process, it may not be reviewed or considered. The application process will close when the position has been filled or when a sufficient number of qualified applications have been received.