Industry Economist (Director of Economic Studies)
Occasional travel - Ocassional travel may be required.
Relocation expenses reimbursed Yes Please see the Additional Information section for more information.
The experience may have been gained in the public sector, private sector, or Volunteer Service. One year of experience refers to full-time work; part-time work is considered on a prorated basis.
It is your responsibility to ensure your resume states complete information for each job entry. To ensure full credit for your work experience, please indicate dates of employment by month/year (MM/YYYY), and indicate number of hours worked per week, on your resume. If your resume does not provide enough information regarding your work history for us to make a creditable qualification determination, your application package may be rendered disqualified and you will no longer be considered for this position.
In addition to the above requirements, Status Candidates must meet the following by the close of the announcement:
- For the GS-15 grade level: You must have been at the GS-14 level for 52 weeks (time-in-grade requirement).
A. Successful completion of a full 4-year course of study in an accredited college or university leading to a bachelor's degree in economics that included at least 21 semester hours in economics and 3 semester hours in statistics, accounting or calculus.
B. Possess a combination of education that included at least 21 semester hours in economics and 3 semester hours in statistics, accounting or calculus AND experience that involves the use and understanding of economic principles and theories. Examples of qualifying experience include (1) individual economic research assignments requiring planning, information assembly, analysis and evaluation, conclusions and report preparation; (2) supervisory or project coordination assignments involving a staff of professional economists, and requiring the evaluation and interpretation of economic information; or (3) teaching assignments in a college or university that included both class instruction in economics subjects and one of the following (a) personal research that produced evidence of results, (b) direction of graduate theses in economics, or (c) service as a consultant or advisor on technical economics problems.
You must have one year of specialized experience at a level of difficulty and responsibility equivalent to the GS-14 grade level in the Federal service. Specialized experience for this position may include:
- Applying comprehensive economic principles in the review of cooperative agreements among competitors to determine the competitive impact on the market;
- Performing complex economic analysis of agency regulations, programs, and regulated industries;
- Providing authoritative professional advice to top-level agency officials; and/or
- Preparing position papers recommending alternative analytical strategies for presentation to senior management and agency officials.
Please refer to the qualifications section for education information.
- A relocation incentive may be offered to eligible selectee(s); or
- A recruitment incentive may be offered to eligible selectee(s).
- We may select from this announcement or any other source to fill one or more vacancies.
- We may fill like positions within 12 months of closing the closing date.
- This is a non-bargaining unit position.
- A 1-year probationary period is required (unless already completed).
- Must be able to obtain and maintain a Moderate Risk Public Trust background investigation.
- This opportunity is also open to All U.S. Citizens under Announcement 2018-15-DE. Please refer to that announcement for details on open period, eligibility, and how to apply.
- Complete a Declaration for Federal Employment to determine your suitability for Federal employment, at the time requested by the agency.
- If you are a male applicant born after December 31, 1959, certify that you have registered with the Selective Service System or are exempt from having to do so.
- Have your salary sent to a financial institution of your choice by Direct Deposit/Electronic Funds Transfer.
- Go through a Personal Identity Verification (PIV) process that requires two forms of identification from the Form I-9. Federal law requires verification of the identity and employment eligibility of all new hires in the U.S.
- May be required to file a Confidential Financial Disclosure Report within 30 days of appointment and annually from then on.
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Your application includes your resume, responses to the online questions, and required supporting documents. Please be sure that your resume includes detailed information to support your qualifications for this position; failure to provide sufficient evidence in your resume will result in a "not qualified" determination.
Rating: Your application will be evaluated in the following areas:
- Quantitative Reasoning
- Oral Communication
- Written Communication
Referral: If you are among the top qualified candidates, your application may be referred to a selecting official for consideration. You may be required to participate in a selection interview. We will not reimburse costs related to the interview such as travel to and from the interview site.
If you are a displaced or surplus Federal employee (eligible for the Career Transition Assistance Plan (CTAP)/Interagency Career Transition Assistance Plan (ICTAP)), you must receive a score of 80 or better to be rated as well qualified to receive special selection priority.