Environmental Health Specialist I/ Pool Inspector (2 positions)
These are fulltime temporary/seasonal position expected to begin April 29, 2019 and end September 13, 2019
The City of Alexandria is located in northern Virginia and is bordered by the District of Columbia (Potomac River), Arlington and Fairfax counties. With a population of approximately 150,000 and a land area of 15.75 square miles, Alexandria is the seventh largest city in the Commonwealth of Virginia. Alexandria has a charming waterfront and is a unique and historic place to live and work. About one-quarter of the City's square miles have been designated as a national or local historic district. We proudly embrace our rich history and seize the endless opportunities that lie ahead. If you are interested in working for the vibrant City of Alexandria, we invite qualified candidates to apply for our two (2) Environmental Health Specialist I/Pool Inspector positions.
The Alexandria Health Department (AHD) is looking to fill two (2) fulltime temporary/seasonal positions working as Environmental Health Specialist I â€“ Pool Inspector from April 29, through September 13, 2019 (40 hours per week). The Pool Inspectors are responsible for conducting routine pool and spa evaluations for compliance with the Alexandria Aquatic Health Ordinance.
What You Should Bring
The ideal candidate will have the ability to communicate clearly and effectively both orally and in writing as well as the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with property owners, residents, other Health Department staff, and the general public. Candidate must have reliable means of transportation to travel regularly within City limits for work purposes.
The Opportunity â€“ Examples of Work
- Inspecting swimming pools and spas for compliance with the City of Alexandria's Aquatic Health Ordinance;
- Verifying credentials of lifeguards and pool operators;
- Performing chemical tests to check pH and free chlorine residual of pool water;
- Inspecting operation of pool filtration and circulation system;
- Inspecting pool and associated facilities for cleanliness and hazards;
- Issuing tickets (civil fines) for violations as appropriate;
- Preparing inspection reports and entering inspection reports into the VENIS database system;
- Entering violation data into the Environmental Health Access database and preparing reports;
- Consults with Environmental Health Supervisor and Senior Environmental Health Specialists on technically difficult issues or enforcement problems; and,
- Performs related work as required.
Alexandria Health Department (AHD) is one of 35 health districts in Virginia. As part of the Virginia Department of Health, AHD serves the residents, businesses, and visitors of Alexandria and works closely with the City of Alexandria and community partners to achieve its mission and vision. AHD's mission is "Protecting and Promoting Health and Well-Being in Our Communities" and our vision is "Healthy People, Healthier Communities." We view "health" in the broadest sense and this drives our path towards continuous health improvement with a focus on equity of the social determinants of health.
The Environmental Health Division prides itself on its commitment to ensuring public health and safety, working together as a team, and our dedication to continuing education as well as cross training our staff in all areas of environmental health. We always strive to provide excellent customer service to the citizens that we assist, and the people that we work with. Furthermore, we believe that education is the key to ensuring compliance with local, state, and federal regulations. These values of the Environmental Health Division at AHD make it ideal for those wishing to obtain training and experience in the environmental and public health fields.